Combat Mission: A Year Later

Counting the demo it's been over a year that this game has been on my system. That's longer than any other game I have owned for the PC.

I guess it's a testament to a well made game and the its devoted designers, and those unsung heroes who have provided the countless hours making the mods we enjoy and to those who provide us with the numerous sites devoted to CM.

Once CM 2 is out no doubt it will stay on my system for years to come as will CM.

Just thought I'd drop this note! Often, we are all quick to criticize but slow to thank...so, Thanks Everyone!

smile.gif

Hehe, AOL has never been about the customer, or the ads wouldn't be so cheesy about it is all for the customer.

My greatest fear about AOL now is that AOL-Time Warner thing. You see, I have RoadRunner, and I fear AOL will be layered on it.

As for CM, me too. Except for some family games and my son's Army Men wargames, it is the only game on my drive.

Wonderful game.

BTS is the premier example of a customer-centric enterprise.

[ 07-17-2001: Message edited by: Wilhammer ]

I got CM nearly 11 months ago.

I got a CD burner and a CD drive. The burner is for daily work, installing programmes and copying files.

In the CD drive there's the CM CD.

I VERY rarely remove that CD from the drive.

There's no game that fascinated me more or over such a long period of time than CM, with the exception perhaps of ELITE when I got it on my CPC6128 years ago...

I must also say I am surprised I haven't got burned out with this game even with 12 PBEM's going and one year of play! Every other previous PC game occupies my time and mind for 3-6 months and then gathers dust. Not CM. How am I going to find time for CM and CM II though???? :rolleyes:

C'mon guys, doesn't anyone want to admit to even a touch of 'game burnout'? It's nothing to be ashamed of. For awhile I was more into the mods than playing the game itself. But after awhile an occassional 'quickbattle' would be a perfect little gem of a game, and remind me why I liked the game so much. That's why we're all lusting after CM2, to relive the excitement of first love all over again.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeyD:

C'mon guys, doesn't anyone want to admit to even a touch of 'game burnout'? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had it for a little while around Christmas, then I cured myself smile.gif. Seriously, tournaments, campaigns, custom scenarios, on-line clubs, TCP/IP, PBEM, this particular forum...etc. There is so much to keep one's interest up. If all I did was play meeting engagements against other people or just against the AI, I'd have quit a long time ago.

MikeyD...not even close to bored. I am like jhdeerslayer, I have no idea what I will do with CM2. That is probably why I am in such a minority...it could take a year or two years or whatever for CM2...I'm in no rush. And I have been playing this since the beta demo...which was what October or November 1999?

It's BETTER than it was a year ago. I remember there were countless discussions (like thousands & thousands!), when i first joined the "club", and way before that too, about even the minutest details. You name it, it has been talked about to death! (DO A SEARCH smile.gif ) Saying that, people i guess were still unsure about exactly what the end-product would turn out like (many games companies promise the earth and deliver ****e). On it's release i think MOST people's prayers were answered. WW2 enthusiasts had finally been blessed with a game that depicts the subject matter honestly and as accurately as is possible.

Speaking as the (ex? ;) )webmaster of just one of the many (50+ is it TED?) sites that support CM, i receive a helluva lot of e-mail from would-be purchasers asking whether or not they should buy this game or not. My answer?...Just take a look around my site and all the others and ask yourself this question: why on earth have so many people given up their spare time to start websites, produce mods, produce scenarios and write detailed CM documents to help others? Are we Mad? Probably! :D But still; run along to the BTS order page and order this game now ROIGHT!...NUFF SAID!

Yeah, Okay!... i know it's not in the same league as Kettler's "Speech To The CM-Less" a while back.

p.s - why don't we all chip-in and pay a little bit extra to get Charles "cloned"! We'll get CM2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 a lot quicker if there's MORE of him!

I haven't played CMBO for a whole year yet, but I also think that the game is a lot better now. All the great new mods, some of those Scipio sounds and the huge number of great scenarios has made it unbelievably good.

BTW: has anybody tried replaying some of those first scenarios you played when you received the CD? Some days ago I retried Far From Over Paderborn and in many ways it was very different now. Who changed the map? smile.gif

I will continue playing ( it's been 8 months now since getting the game ) until they come up with CM2 and then unless CM2 is just a lot better I'll continue with this one forever. Well, at least for a long time. I am having more fun with it now then when I first started. The main reason I feel is the mods. To me that has greatly improved the game! Don't get me wrong I do love the game but those mods have just simply made the game far appealing to me. Call me crazy but I just get off on seeing tanks and war equipment, etc. I swear I play the game as much to just be around the tanks, troops,equipment, etc as I do to enjoy the actual game part. Thanks to all the people who have provided me with something I've waited all my life for and to the modellers for making it even better.

I have been playing CM since Febuary last year. Thats 16 months. (Ah the beta days) Back when it made the Graphics that came with the 1.0 look high res. For a time, a very shot time in May I couldn't get at the computer much and so I couldn't play CM much but other then that every day... ;)

As to the game improving, to get some before/after screenshots I recently reloaded the original release CM 1.0(?) off the CD. Geepers, what a HUGE difference! The little guys even run different than they used to! When it came out CM was the best there was, now it's been modded and revised beyond anything we could've hoped to see. The better the mods have gotten the more respect I have for the game's original polygons.

I had a case of CM burnout. If was about 15 months ago. Yeah.

I had PBEM'd the beta demo for about 4 months,

and the 2+1 scenarios only lasted so far.

After that I've played it every day I've been at home. Have had multiple PBEM's going ever since I got the real thing. Although I started to also play other games again about a year ago. Kind of a burn out, eh?

The multiple campaigns, tournaments and other stuff certainly help to keep it fresh, but I also have a few PBEM ideas I'm dying to try out as soon as I can find some time...

God Bless CM.

Yes, I am an addict as well. This seems a therapy group. Come on, let´s hug each other....

True, this game is awesome. Amazing. Incredible. Just imagine. I got it. After a month, I had two CD copies just in case.... Lucky me. My CD reader went nuts and killed the original CD... Now I have 3 copies of the game, just in case....

You know what got me? the explosions. Never in my wargaming experiences I've understood so well why my troops don´t like heavy arty...

I've been playing CM since last April, and even on an extremly low-end computer with a frame rate of like 1 per second and hideously bland textures, I still thought it was the best game out there. When I got my new computer in December, I nearly wet myself at how good it looked, even with stock textures! And a realistic frame rate (droooll)! I remember the first time I started her up. After picking my jaw off the floor, I said with childlike glee "MY GOD, THEIR HEADS ARE TURNING!!!" ahh, memories.

:D

Im experiencing some down time, a wee bit of wearout. I guess what keept me coming back - the multiplayer - is getting kind of old. I dont have many people on the ladder who want to play anything other then their beloved 1500 points, clear weather, etc. Gets sort of repetitive.

Plus my computer decided to get busted once again, so Im left to sit here and type stuff on my 2nd, crappy computer.

I was having a bit of a burn out for a couple of weeks. Then my cmbo partner and I desided to play on a new map type. Open, no trees, large hills, armor battles. Oh my god... there is no cover but the hills themselves. My jaw dropped the first time I saw the map. Tanks popping up to take shots at each other. Great fun!

Does anyone else have a favorite map type?

rv