Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Big announcement... Battlefront is now Slitherine

4 minutes ago, Centurian52 said:

Those are already on both Slitherine and Steam. The big accomplishment in 2023 was getting all of the CM games on Steam (I think it was just down to the WW2 titles at that point).

OH!!! yes, of course. how did i not remember that lol...MY BAD!!... they still seem a few missing on slitherin site tho, but i think most will go with steam.. 

thanks for your knowledge oh wise one lol ( don't know how i forgot that info ) lol

bubba

On 8/27/2024 at 5:02 PM, Battlefront.com said:

All I can say is that CM1 and CM2 fans will have much to be happy about in the near future!  We just ask that you let the dust settle a bit and then we'll have something solid to announce.

Given the fact that Slitherine is already implementing the concept with Field of Glory II: Medieval and Field of Glory: Kingdoms , where the tactical part (generated battles in Kingdoms) can be played out  in  Field of Glory II :Mediaval and then the result  can be imported to the strategic/operational game (Kingdoms), can  we speculate that Combat Mission Campaigns project is somehow alive? 

@Battlefront.com

On 8/27/2024 at 6:02 PM, Battlefront.com said:

Not quite yet :)  But yes, this is what I was hinting at.  We are very deep in the process of doing some pretty important stuff and we don't want to spoil it by coming up with details too soon.  All I can say is that CM1 and CM2 fans will have much to be happy about in the near future!  We just ask that you let the dust settle a bit and then we'll have something solid to announce.

Steve

That is excellent news. Will happily measure up with Rommel 😬. Thanks guys !

21 hours ago, db_zero said:

If wego goes away then I’ll just stick to current versions. There are already plenty of rts games that cover same topics as well as mods for them.

wego and the ability to replay what took place is what make Combat Mission Combat Mission. There are also plenty, perhaps most of us who play h2h using wego. 

I would have zero interest playing rts h2h especially since it would not be something you could do at your leisure when you want. 

I really can’t see Slitherine/Matrix taking away wego but I don’t know the ins and outs of the unity engine so just have to wait and see.

Fundamentally WEGO is enforced paused realtime with 1min intervals (in CM case).

Edited by Lethaface

3 minutes ago, Albert DuBalay said:

That is excellent news. Will happily measure up with Rommel 😬. Thanks guys !

I've been reading a bit about the Western Desert campaign lately. I rather suspect that Rommel may have been a bit overblown. I'm seeing more incompetent British leadership than any sign of tactical brilliance on Rommel's part*. Though, even if he wasn't much of a tactical genius, Rommel was apparently something of a propaganda genius.

*James Holland claims that the Battle of Gazala may very well have been the worst fought British battle of the entire war, and I may just have to agree with him. Each brigade on the Gazala line was in its own isolated defensive box, with huge gaps between brigades that were covered by nothing but minefields. Despite this Rommel basically managed to get the entire Afrika Korps surrounded behind the Gazala line. But, by the time the British could make up their minds about whether or not to seize this golden opportunity to completely annihilate the Afrika Korps, the Italians had managed to work their way through the minefields to reconnect Rommel to a supply line.

19 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

Maybe graphic designer is too specific.  Last time I saw a stat from Adobe about Mac app market and over 70% of Mac users were in what they defined as "creative" fields as a profession or a as a hobby.  Creative was defined as photo, video, sound, art, etc.  For Windows it was slightly less than 30%.  So a generalization, but based in some form of reality.

You meant to say hippies 😉 

On 8/27/2024 at 7:11 PM, PEB14 said:

OK so if I understand correctly, as a former BFC customer, I need to register to Slitherine, download the 4 games I own and install them in order to be able to get the latest updates.

I just went on Slitherine CMRT bundle page, requirements information: WIndows, Windows, Windows.

So as a Mac customer, how am I supposed to proceed?

Yes kind of worrying knowing Slitherine past records for eventually dropping Mac support (battle of the bulge, order of battle series to name some). Even though the FAQ mentions « For MAC we will continue to use the existing Battlefront installers and protection system. All of the MAC installers have been placed in a folder where you can download them. Everything else will work as it did before. » . That sounds, in the short term, re-assuring News. I do hope CM3 will also come to the Mac. I read that Unity can also work with Metal API so, at least on the paper, it sounds CM3 could be absolutely terrific on Mac. So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE 🙏 

42 minutes ago, Lieutenant Ash said:

Was just wondering how this affects the CM2 engine upgrade (version 5) that was talked about a while ago. Is this still 'on the cards' or has it been dropped to concentrate on CM3?

Yeah, I have been waiting for that damn upgrade for a long time now. 

Congratulations on your progress. I look forward to some new, enjoyable wargaming experiences.

And now to boasting: I have boxed copies of CMBO and CMBB somewhere, which first enabled me to play realistic WW2 computer wargames (without the limitations of tabletop figure gaming and endless dice rolling). 

I have less hair now, though still enough to tear out where necessary.

Per Ardua ad Astra!

3 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Yup, and this is the same mentality that companies use when they shave a penny off of something here or there.  If they were just making a single $100 thing that wouldn't matter.  But if they are making 1m of that thing, then $0.01 suddenly means a decent chunk of money.

If we had to build a brand new game engine, from scratch, we might not be working on a Mac version at all.  And I say this as a Mac user since 1987 that does not use a Windows machine except for rare needs (CM2 Pro only works on Windows).  The engineering effort to make and support a Mac game, from scratch, is just not worth doing.

Fortunately... we don't have to worry about that because we are using Unity :)  From there it is just a matter of the costs associated with selling and supporting a Mac version.  The number of customers we have justifies those expenses, so as far as I can tell we're all good going forward!

Steve

This is great news for us Mac CM gamers.  I know we're small, but we really do enjoy this game series.  Thanks for the update.

Cheers,
Jeff

24 minutes ago, FlammenwerferX said:

"While the next generation of CM3 is being worked on, we also intend to round out the content in the existing CM2 engine games."

https://www.matrixgames.com/battlefront-acquisition-faq

I assume that refers just to the stuff that has already been announced, rather than any new upcoming CM2 products (so I think that's pretty much down to BAOR, unless I'm forgetting something). If I'm wrong, and there is a bit more they want to add to CM2 before fully closing it out (perhaps adding German forces to CMCW?), then I'll take that as good news. But I'm not expecting anything.

They might have the resources now to add just a bit more to CM2 without stealing too much momentum from CM3. So even if there weren't plans for more CM2 content before, that doesn't rule out new plans. So me being wrong is absolutely a possibility here. Though, so long as there's a CM3 CW game, it might not be so bad if CM2CW doesn't get German forces.

Congratulations! Really seems like a great outcome for all, can't wait to hear about CM3 when the time comes.

Also wondering about this as well

1 hour ago, Lieutenant Ash said:

Was just wondering how this affects the CM2 engine upgrade (version 5) that was talked about a while ago. Is this still 'on the cards' or has it been dropped to concentrate on CM3?

hopefully they will be able to share some news (even if it's not good news, it's better than none).

5 hours ago, Pericles said:

https://tallyhocorner.com/2024/08/combat-mission-devs-eaten-by-giant-lizard/

Combat Mission devs eaten by giant lizard

Battlefront, the studio that gave the world plausible 3D WeGo WW2 combat, is no more. After licking its lips with a darting bifurcated tongue, and letting out a thunderous belch, the massive Surrey reptile that consumed BFC yesterday, said this: “We are thrilled to welcome the Battlefront team into the Slitherine family."

By the time you read this, potent gastric juice will have ensured “all Battlefront staff, including co-founders Stephen Grammont and Charles Moylan” have been “fully absorbed within Slitherine.” 

Moments before dissolving in stomach soup, one of the consumed, Steve Grammont, echoed Slitherine’s sentiments.

I can confirm that after the stomach acid dissolves the peripheral nerves, it is kinda cozy in here.

Been a long time since that day I stayed home from school feigning illness so I can reader my brother's Game Informer magazines, where I found on the very last page a short article and single screenshot from CMBO, describing what it is and where I can find the demo. 🙂

I've been wondering if CM3 would ever happen. Brings me joy to know that there is a generously-staffed effort to make it happen, now. Congrats, BFC crew, I'm eager to see what you come up with next!

1 minute ago, ChrisND said:

I can confirm that after the stomach acid dissolves the peripheral nerves, it is kinda cozy in here.

Yeah but you guys will eventually get sh!t out! 😂 

Joking of course, this clearly is a good match. CMs future just got brighter!

4 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Fortunately... we don't have to worry about that because we are using Unity :)  From there it is just a matter of the costs associated with selling and supporting a Mac version.  The number of customers we have justifies those expenses, so as far as I can tell we're all good going forward!

Steve

I LOVE to read that … 😍