New Years Bones 2023 - CMBN BP2 Utah Beach

4 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

These are just the *.btt files that hold the core unit that you import for your campaign or "series of linked battles"...

Sorry for my ignorance, but if i wanted to link multiplayer battles, how would I use the btt.  and does unit condition (casualties, ammo, etc) carry over between linked battles?

Also, can anyone create one of the master "unit files" for use in games, or does it have to come from BFC?

Edited by dkchapuis

15 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

I'm familiar with the insult.  I'm just wondering if it was historically attached to the 17th SS.

7 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

A fictional PzIV? ... Not 100% what you are asking here but the short answer anyway will be: Nope. 

And more importantly when is the next Ashes series on? Over your side of the world in 6 months or so?

I was asking because I always felt that their inclusion in "Montebourg" and some of the scenarios in Battle for Normandy marred it somewhat. And knowing that 17th SS didn't have any in June '44 I was hoping they wouldn't be included.

As for the next Ashes series,  I lost interest in cricket when they started giving the grounds stupid names e.g Emirates Old Trafford. Why can't they just be honest, The Absolutist Monarchy (where we murder slave labourers) Stadium. Or, would that be just a tad too honest?

Edited by Warts 'n' all

9 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

I don't know. But it is interesting that they were the only Waffen-SS division that fought exclusively against the western allies. Never against the Soviets. How lucky can you get?

Given the fact that by November there were only 4,000 men left. The answer to your question would appear to be "not very".

1 hour ago, dkchapuis said:

Can you explain this more please?  What are the "unit files" (format? file type)?  I assume they are kept/updated outside of CM if they are going to be used for the multiplayer crowd?

Campaigns have a core unit file which is just a scenario that the map is not used. You can then import the units into campaign battles and once it is compiled those core units' casualties are tracked across the campaign.

You can also import units into any scenario and therefore reuse them.

1 hour ago, dkchapuis said:

Sorry for my ignorance, but if i wanted to link multiplayer battles, how would I use the btt.  and does unit condition (casualties, ammo, etc) carry over between linked battles?

Also, can anyone create one of the master "unit files" for use in games, or does it have to come from BFC?

You can 'carry them over' manually.

7 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

...101 and 82 already are modtags for their uniforms. @JM Stuff maybe has some cool helmet candy for use.

CMBN wrecks take now the priority and no more CMFB postponed for ende this year, because the problems of the Dodge wheels, so in one week about, I will check and reworking on the Brit Can Ger camo helmets, and perhaps vehicles too, by Mars I can probably already do something correct about !

PS about Us helmets all is already available on the CMMODs IV, just have to added a modtag.

Cheers 

Edited by JM Stuff

1 hour ago, kohlenklau said:

there is a piece of sheet music by w.a. motzart entitled "leck mich im arsch"  .    volfie vass fond of ze potty humor, ja.

oh, here's a recording-

and now, back to the bones.

cheers,

rob

46 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

They're not the guys that started the feud with the French Canadians, are they?

No. Wrong part of Normandy. 17thSS fought against the USatians, not the Canucks. You're thinking of 12thSS.

By co-incidence, there was a live ammo exercise in our local park that turned into a shooting match between Anglo-Scottish Canucks and French Canucks, with fatalities.

7 hours ago, Artkin said:

I've always wondered why nobody attempted to tackle Carentan (Specifically) or any of the larger city battles. Very excited for this one. 

Mapping takes time and urban maps even more so. I still bow down to @benpark's Berlin mapping effort for Fire and Rubble to this day. Luckily @Schrullenhaft was already working on a map of that lined up pretty much perfectly to what I was planning to tackle so a team effort amongst the betas got it across the line. A few things are quite funny about the Carentan layout that makes it difficult to map in the CM2 editor mostly related to 45 degree road limitations. But why the community hadn't tackled these popular engagements... I honestly don't know.

5 hours ago, Bud Backer said:

Why do I see a story here? Oh dear! This looks so delicious!

Ste Marie du Mont... and I think a slightly older version of the map. Oops. What surprised me is the villages dotted around the landscape aren't necessarily as big as you would think once you've plotted all the buildings into the editor. Carentan is another matter. :) 

2 hours ago, dkchapuis said:

Can you explain this more please?  What are the "unit files" (format? file type)?  I assume they are kept/updated outside of CM if they are going to be used for the multiplayer crowd?

I see the others have already answered this but yes, basically just historically recreated units for how they looked mostly fixed on June 6th. These files are then imported into the editor so you can make your own custom scenarios with historical formations without the need to do your own historical research leg work. Also you can tweak them based on past engagements with your favourite MP opponent if you want to reflect losses in your previous games.

9 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

Do your maps need any custom road signs flavor objects?

4th ID patches on the jackets probably already exist.

101 and 82 already are modtags for their uniforms. @JM Stuff maybe has some cool helmet candy for use.

You are a seasoned scenario and campaign author but if there is anything you think might spice up your BP2, please just ask and maybe the community can get with you.

I remember playing with my son years ago on PS3 the Brothers in Arms battles and if you need a certain farmhouse look for Ste Come du Mont(?)...maybe there is a guy who has a name that rhymes with pie that can make something gorgeous. :D

Most of the maps will be modtagged with some form of custom objects. Actually the beach photos already show this off if you want to try and spot it. :) I do plan to add a 4ID and 70TB uniform files with the appropiate patches as part of this pack as it's not that hard to do. I'll post up the list of mod tags used so the community can go nuts if they want post-release.

I remember those games fondly. Scale is a bit out of whack, like attacking Ste Come du Mont with one depleted squad. :P But they did have a strong focus on getting their maps right which is better than most other WW2 games out there. Briefly toyed with the idea of using top down screen shots from the game for a more detailed look at flashpoints for these bigger CM2 maps. There may also already be an easter egg or two buried away in the unit files. ;) Actually my first ever scenario for CMBN was inspired by BiA: Earned in Blood mission... https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy/cm-battles-for-normandy/three-patrol-action/ 

15 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

Also you can tweak them based on past engagements with your favourite MP opponent if you want to reflect losses in your previous games.

I was with you but now this sentence has lost me.

If I'm right and you are referring to carrying over casualties from one H2H scenario to another - that is MANUALLY adjusting units rather than being auto-tracked, this would be extremely tedious, very inexact (since the headcount variable doesn't match with specific casualties incurred), and in summary the method requires its own function (such as a .csv file [battle result] download/ [new scenario] upload) to facilitate and make the idea viable.

It's disappointing that we still don't yet have this given that there seems to be a demand (your work here being a prescient example), and it cannot be that difficult for the BF programmer/s to develop. Perhaps you agree!

Edited by The Steppenwulf

19 hours ago, Lethaface said:

You can 'carry them over' manually.

Nono not manually, in the units section of the editor there is an option to "Import campaign units" or something like that. It should be the seventh option right under redfor. 

@dkchapuis I have already made quite a few, around 10 between CMCW, CMRT, and CMBS. I know someone made one for CMFI but I don't remember his battlefront username. 

The file should neatly display a unit at the regimental, divisional or even higher level. Then you can delete out what you want as Ithikal said. 

You can use these to make scenarios of your own. 

@Ithikial_AU is it possible that you can build the core file with an axis side? Or at least when you build it make sure there is no "[Core]" tag assigned to the units? That way we can import other cores with yours whether they be friendly or enemy. If you're doing it by .csv then I guess this wouldn't be an issue. 

20 minutes ago, Artkin said:

Nono not manually, in the units section of the editor there is an option to "Import campaign units" or something like that. It should be the seventh option right under redfor. 

@dkchapuis I have already made quite a few, around 10 between CMCW, CMRT, and CMBS. I know someone made one for CMFI but I don't remember his battlefront username. 

The file should neatly display a unit at the regimental, divisional or even higher level. Then you can delete out what you want as Ithikal said. 

@Ithikial_AU is it possible that you can build the core file with an axis side? Or at least when you build it make sure there is no "[Core]" tag assigned to the units? That way we can import other cores with yours whether they be friendly or enemy. If you're doing it by .csv then I guess this wouldn't be an issue. 

I meant you can carry over the casualties 'manually' as in use the same core file and apply the losses suffered in previous battle. AFAIK there is no other way apart from in a campaign to do that?

6 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

I meant you can carry over the casualties 'manually' as in use the same core file and apply the losses suffered in previous battle. AFAIK there is no other way apart from in a campaign to do that?

Ah yes you are correct. It can be a real PITA if you are fighting regiment level battles. Vehicles isn't much of a problem, but keeping track of individual infantry is a problem. When you set unit strengths by % in the editor the number is randomized and will change every time you load up that scenario. So you can never have a fully accurate TOE. It's very annoying. Sometimes my squad will come in with 6 men, sometimes 4, sometimes 5, sometimes 7. :angry:

You could set the entire formation as a certain % which will save you time, but not accuracy. I think the overall best way to do it is count the men in a platoon before and after. Delete any heavy weapons that were lost and pretend everyone got reorganized or something.

2 hours ago, The Steppenwulf said:

I was with you but now this sentence has lost me.

If I'm right and you are referring to carrying over casualties from one H2H scenario to another - that is MANUALLY adjusting units rather than being auto-tracked, this would be extremely tedious, very inexact (since the headcount variable doesn't match with specific casualties incurred), and in summary the method requires its own function (such as a .csv file [battle result] download/ [new scenario] upload) to facilitate and make the idea viable.

It's disappointing that we still don't yet have this given that there seems to be a demand (your work here being a prescient example), and it cannot be that difficult for the BF programmer/s to develop. Perhaps you agree!

Yes please!

42 minutes ago, Artkin said:

Thanks for the details

12 minutes ago, Artkin said:

When you set unit strengths by % in the editor the number is randomized and will change every time you load up that scenario. So you can never have a fully accurate TOE. It's very annoying.

Precisely and agreed! We are on the same hymn sheet and so perhaps is Ithykial, it's just BF we are waiting on for implementation...

3 hours ago, The Steppenwulf said:

Precisely and agreed! We are on the same hymn sheet and so perhaps is Ithykial, it's just BF we are waiting on for implementation...

Makes me miss - as I so often do - CM1 ability to important end units (location, exact numbers remaining) onto a map.  Why was that dropped for CM2?  Has BFC ever commented on why that feature was left on the cutting room floor?

Edited by dkchapuis