New Years Bones 2023 - CMBN BP2 Utah Beach

8 hours ago, The Steppenwulf said:

If I'm right and you are referring to carrying over casualties from one H2H scenario to another - that is MANUALLY adjusting units rather than being auto-tracked, this would be extremely tedious, very inexact (since the headcount variable doesn't match with specific casualties incurred), and in summary the method requires its own function (such as a .csv file [battle result] download/ [new scenario] upload) to facilitate and make the idea viable.

Yes. You'll need to jump into the editor and adjust the files before fighting a follow on battle based on whatever house rules you and your opponent determine is appropriate. A number of club campaigns have come up with different systems in the past. All this is offering is a starting point to save the historical leg work and run around to kick start a campaign between two people who want to play out Utah Beach "their way" rather than via scenarios trying to replicate history.

5 hours ago, Artkin said:

@Ithikial_AU is it possible that you can build the core file with an axis side? Or at least when you build it make sure there is no "[Core]" tag assigned to the units? That way we can import other cores with yours whether they be friendly or enemy. If you're doing it by .csv then I guess this wouldn't be an issue. 

It's not one giant Axis .btt file but split up in the editor by regiment. So one for the 3/919 IR (the unlucky German sods stuck along the coastline), 1058 IR, the 6 FJR and 17 SS SSPzG Regt. Nothing stopping you from importing one other file into another, saving it and them importing it again into another to merge them all up if you wish. But be careful as issues may crop up in the editor with a force size that big. Talking easily 5,000+ soldiers in one file.

15 minutes ago, Ithikial_AU said:

Talking easily 5,000+ soldiers in one file.

I had 150,000 in my 6th army + 62nd army file before I trimmed it up a bit :D

When building mine I had to solve errors by reloading the same exact core file, but now I can't add anything else to it because all of the units are drawing from a core file. Hard to explain, but harder to work with. 

Thanks for explaining.

On 2/2/2023 at 9:23 AM, Warts 'n' all said:

I was asking because I always felt that their inclusion in "Montebourg" and some of the scenarios in Battle for Normandy marred it somewhat. And knowing that 17th SS didn't have any in June '44 I was hoping they wouldn't be included.

As for the next Ashes series,  I lost interest in cricket when they started giving the grounds stupid names e.g Emirates Old Trafford. Why can't they just be honest, The Absolutist Monarchy (where we murder slave labourers) Stadium. Or, would that be just a tad too honest?

I agree with both your sentiments on CM with the PIV's in Montebourg along with the stupid sponsor named grounds. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/1/2023 at 3:26 PM, Warts 'n' all said:

No. Wrong part of Normandy. 17thSS fought against the USatians, not the Canucks. You're thinking of 12thSS.

By co-incidence, there was a live ammo exercise in our local park that turned into a shooting match between Anglo-Scottish Canucks and French Canucks, with fatalities.

was that during the war, or recently? 

cheers,

rob

10 hours ago, quakerparrot67 said:

was that during the war, or recently? 

cheers,

rob

The live ammo exercise incident happened during the war. The park was used by many different regiments throughout the course of the war, Limey, Canuck, and USatian. After the war the Nissen Huts were used to house people waiting for a new home.

12 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

The live ammo exercise incident happened during the war. The park was used by many different regiments throughout the course of the war, Limey, Canuck, and USatian. After the war the Nissen Huts were used to house people waiting for a new home.

any further background out there on the incident?  it sounds interesting , if silly and tragic....

cheers,

rob

15 hours ago, quakerparrot67 said:

any further background out there on the incident?  it sounds interesting , if silly and tragic....

I haven't been able to find anymore info I'm afraid. Although it's unlikely that my old dad would have made it up, I was able recently verify a story he'd told me about one of his workmates getting killed in the 1950s via a local newspaper website.

In the meantime I have found a couple of Mote Park training related photos.  The officers with "The Man With The Big Cigar" are from 53rd (Welsh) Division, and that photo was taken in November 1942. The second picture also taken on the edge of the lake would appear to be a display for the public, sadly, I can't find a date for that one.

Churchill 53 Welsh 30 Nov 42 Mote.jpg

Mote Park boats WW2.jpg

Edited by Warts 'n' all

6 hours ago, quakerparrot67 said:

very cool old pics,  the assault boat scene would make a great small diorama.

wasn't doubting you on the great white friendly fire incident, just imagine that it would be an interesting tale how such a clusterf**k  could happen, lol.

Yeah, I just wish I could have confirmed it for myself.

As for Mote Park itself, it did have a bit of earl-war history as well. My home town sits on the main arterial road from the Channel coast to London, the park's thick stone walls were incorporated into the town's outer defenses. Gun slits were punched through the stone blocks for MGs and anti-tank rifles, and there was a Fougasse flame projector hidden near one gate.

interesting testimony @Warts 'n' all

I have something a bit similar
My mother was 5 years old in 1944 and she remembers that in August 44 of a curious event.
She was liberated by the Poles and then the Canadians replaced them during the battle. Once it was over, she remembers an incident between Canadians and British (the 53rd Welch was in the area) the Canadians blaming the British for arriving after the battle.
The officers feeling the spirits warming up propose a "contest" where each demonstrates their mastery in the conduct of BrenCarriers by climbing piles of wood
A vehicle turns over, there are wounded, perhaps dead and there everything changes shots burst on both sides it takes all the coolness of the officers to resume the situation under the bewildered gaze of the French civilians

It is possible that the incident took place between French-speaking and English-speaking Canadians, although her mother evokes Canadians and British, ones speaking French therefore Canadian and the others English therefore British, she was only 5 years old .

2 hours ago, Falaise said:

interesting testimony @Warts 'n' all

I have something a bit similar
My mother was 5 years old in 1944 and she remembers that in August 44 of a curious event.
She was liberated by the Poles and then the Canadians replaced them during the battle. Once it was over, she remembers an incident between Canadians and British (the 53rd Welch was in the area) the Canadians blaming the British for arriving after the battle.
The officers feeling the spirits warming up propose a "contest" where each demonstrates their mastery in the conduct of BrenCarriers by climbing piles of wood
A vehicle turns over, there are wounded, perhaps dead and there everything changes shots burst on both sides it takes all the coolness of the officers to resume the situation under the bewildered gaze of the French civilians

It is possible that the incident took place between French-speaking and English-speaking Canadians, although her mother evokes Canadians and British, ones speaking French therefore Canadian and the others English therefore British, she was only 5 years old .

That is an incident that I have never read about before, nor seen in any documentary about the Normandy campaign. But, I think that your interpretation could be a possibility.  

• 2 months later...

Indeed I'm curious to see how you'll handle the 101st camapaign.

After their drop, the 82nd and 101st got scattered, units intermingled, and many paratroopers troops lost a good part of their heavy weapons. These two issues (especially the latter, as the mixed units issue is not that important) are impossible to recreate with the editor (you cannot remove automatic weapons from the squads).

13 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

I'll provide bones if and when permitted to. ;)

Thanks for the reply, appreciated. 

Is the release timescale still as previously described (which to be honest I can't remember off-hand 🙄)?

My credit card is on alert...

2 hours ago, Vacillator said:

Thanks for the reply, appreciated. 

Is the release timescale still as previously described (which to be honest I can't remember off-hand 🙄)?

My credit card is on alert...

The release will come out when you are on trip, and we the rest of the members, can playing it and playing and playing...👹 

Edited by JM Stuff

45 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

can playing it and playing and playing

Yes but at the same time we will be touching, smelling and hearing WW2 tanks.  And eating and drinking the finest cuisine in the Bovington area 😉.  Having said that, last time I visited I only had a cheese pasty but we have much more time for this visit...

10 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

Yes but at the same time we will be touching, smelling and hearing WW2 tanks.  And eating and drinking the finest cuisine in the Bovington area 😉.  Having said that, last time I visited I only had a cheese pasty but we have much more time for this visit...

Well I was not thinking to that, the point is for you..., enjoy your time, is not every day, that we can planified something and see so much things in one time ! 😉

On 3/5/2023 at 12:16 AM, Warts 'n' all said:

Here's another picture of "The Man with the Big Cigar" in Mote Park, I think that the officer with the swagger stick is saying "There's nothing to worry about Prime Minister, I'm sure it can take the weight of your drinks cabinet".

Fat Cigar on a pontoon.jpg

I like very much this guy, all what he did the vision that he had all his quotations and talk about Soviet Union and the rest of the world !

8 hours ago, Vacillator said:

Yes but at the same time we will be touching, smelling and hearing WW2 tanks.  And eating and drinking the finest cuisine in the Bovington area 😉.

No, that's for the Saumur part of the trip... 😁

• 4 weeks later...