New Years Bones 2023 - CMBN BP2 Utah Beach

@BFCElvis - For pinning please.

Steve has let me off the proverbial leash to release some bones for CMBN in 2023.

Relive the opening days of the Normandy Campaign from the perspective of American and German forces fighting for control of the Cotentin Peninsula of France. From D-Day through to the 13th of June, take command of forces from the 4th Infantry, 101st and 82nd Airborne Divisions, as they fight for a foothold on the western edge of Operation Overlord. Alternatively, take command of German formations in the area, including the 6th Fallschirmjäger Regiment as it tries to hold back the Allied Invasion.

A Taster of Included Content

-          Three Campaigns

o   We Start Here – Follow the exploits of the 101st Airborne and 4th Infantry on D-Day. Follow the first paratroopers to hit the ground just after midnight, through to the evening of June 6th. Get off the beach.

o   Purple Heart Lane – Command the 101st Airborne from the Battle of Ste Come du Mont through to the Battle of Carentan.

§  A slight experiment in campaign design, allowing the player to fight a rolling battle at their own pace over several in game days. Can you keep pace with history or will the 17SS Panzer Grenadier Division arrive in time to make your task more difficult?

Current count, 110 scenario variants so that is quite a long campaign script.

§  A recreation of the Carentan Operation from Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord.

o   Fist of Iron – Take control of the 17SS Panzer Grenadier Division on the 13th of June as they launch their counterattack to retake Carentan. Can you defy history?

-          Scenarios (purposefully incomplete to leave some surprises)

o   La Madeleine / Tare Green – The 4th Infantry Division head north along the beach to clear the German Strongpoints.

o   Clash of Eagles – 101st Airborne and 6 Fallschirmjäger Regiment elements clash around Vierville.

o   Hill 30 – 101st Airborne try to hold the line southwest of Carentan against a determined 17SS Counter Attack.

-          Master Maps

o   Seven maps covering just over 70 square kilometres of now famous battlefields, recreated from Allied aerial photographs and D-Day planning maps from 1944.

-          (Possibly) Master Unit Files. In combination with the Master Maps will allow players to easily put together fight their own linked multiplayer campaign battles. [Let me know views on this one].

Requirements

Players will be required to own:

-          Combat Mission Battle for Normandy Base Game;

-          Commonwealth Forces Module;

-          Market Garden Module; and

-          Vehicle Pack.

Likely Questions

Why are we going back to D-Day?

When the CMBN base game was designed there was a conscious decision to focus on the US Army and German Heer forces only. This meant that key German formations that were fighting around the 101st Airborne area were not available. With Waffen SS and Fallschirmjäger formations now part of the game family we are able to recreate these famous engagements inside the CM2 engine. It's also a chance to present a number of different tactical scenario situations rarely used in previously in stock scenarios such as the use of naval gunfire, extensive fortifications, spotting victory point allocations etc.

Why the focus on the 101st Airborne? No love for the 82nd Airborne?

There are already a number of community made scenarios and maps available for players focusing on the exploits of the 82nd Airborne to the north of the location depicted in this Battle Pack. We didn’t want to crossover too heavily with the work the community had already undertaken.

Will any new formations or units be added to the CMBN family with this release?

No. Like other Battle Packs the focus is on campaigns and scenarios. Unlike Modules which focus on the new units and formations introduced, Battle Packs provide us the opportunity to mix and match all the content available in a game family.

What’s the release date?

When it is ready. This will be sometime after the CMBN Steam release. This pack has also been a bit different when compared to others to date. When this was announced at the start of the year the actual work had only just commenced rather than being in development for some time already. Saying that, the mapping is virtually complete and scenarios are being built.

How will I be able to get my hands on it?

From all the existing places you can currently buy Combat Mission products.

In the promotional photos that bush is 0.764 meters away from where it was historically!

Everything is a work in progress. Also, I suggest you may want another glass of a fermented vegetable drink. :)

Wait a minute who the hell are you?

One of the volunteer beta team. Like GeorgeMC and JonS before me, one of us generally leads a Battle Pack development though this time I've been lucky enough for a number of other betas to help out and get all that mapping done. Also dabbled in some modding and YouTube in previous years.

Can we see some pictures?

Oh alright.

:D

1997139709_DDayNavalShells.thumb.png.37c2eb43415cedd8fff1d629a0d9fe21.png799973104_DDayTankandNavalGun.thumb.png.522049f1be426c1ffcba6a60aacdae6d.png1110335474_DDayCrossingtheBeach.thumb.png.fdd00da8c27fc9da0dd234474c16da4a.png949594183_UtahBeachMapatDawn(Partialshotofmap).thumb.png.a20b226b65065690f25e8af3539bf616.png

Edited by Ithikial_AU

39 minutes ago, Ithikial_AU said:

-          (Possibly) Master Unit Files. In combination with the Master Maps will allow players to easily put together fight their own linked multiplayer campaign battles. [Let me know views on this one].

Interesting development! Specifically you must be referring to (informal) coop campaigns not a formal multiplayer function or H2H campaigns? Can you define and expand perhaps?

Shame it's unlikely to be the latter as I'm sure this would constitute an engine feature....but seems like an interesting, fresh idea all the same.

Edited by The Steppenwulf

1 hour ago, Ithikial_AU said:

Wait a minute who the hell are you?

Oh we know who you are 😉.

Great stuff, put my name down for a copy.

You also answered what I was thinking - which was how close are some of these actions to stuff that for example @WimO has done?  The places are close but his of course was 82nd Airborne.  I thought those pictures might be the horrible causeway I had to fight across in a PBEM recently, but I think not?

2 hours ago, The Steppenwulf said:

Interesting development! Specifically you must be referring to (informal) coop campaigns not a formal multiplayer function or H2H campaigns? Can you define and expand perhaps?

I've needed to create unit files for each of the regiments involved in the fighting including the various strong points along the beach. Realised these, coupled with the master maps is probably all the multiplayer crowd would need to tinker and create their own running series of linked battles over this time period rather than follow the prescribed scenarios. They'll have to work out house rules amongst themselves. Probably on a fraction of buyers will be interested but there is always the odd one out there. :D

1 hour ago, Vacillator said:

You also answered what I was thinking - which was how close are some of these actions to stuff that for example @WimO has done?  The places are close but his of course was 82nd Airborne.  I thought those pictures might be the horrible causeway I had to fight across in a PBEM recently, but I think not?

Big reason the BP won't creep that far north is the excellent community work he's put in over the years. The other is if you look at the base game release it really followed the exploits north of Utah Beach already so didn't want to tread over old ground. There is only a slight crossover with the Utah Breach map that showed up in a CMBN Road to Montebourg but this was more a generic beach map given at the time of CM2 v1.0 there was no map overlay function in the editor and map size limits were much smaller. Now we can sit there with photos and BIGOT maps and go for more detail and also much larger areas. There is another crossover in scenarios that will occur but that's a secret and I don't think players will mind given it's small and popular.

As for that road, that's a small section of Purple Heart Lane. It's quite deceptive looking at the photos and maps just to see how long a road and open space it was for the 502nd PIR to get across. Everyone is going to hate my guts and another beta member who will remain nameless for the moment to protect his good standing in the community. :D No secret back doors to avoid the bridges.

1 hour ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Having read the likely questions. Here's mine.

Will the pack include fictional Pz.IVs? Or will, 17th SS be confined to the AFVs that they actually had in June 1944?

A fictional PzIV? There were no PzIV's in the 12SS PzGren Div in Normandy. Not 100% what you are asking here but the short answer anyway will be: Nope. Only what is currently available in the CMBN family formation and equipment wise will be included in the pack. Might as well get this out of the way as someone will realise this eventually. That also means a bit of proxying for the 17SS in terms of their StuGs. Sadly they won't be StuGIV's but StuGIII's as the former is not part of the CMBN vehicle roster. Battle Packs are purely scenarios and campaigns, they do not add in new units/formations/nations to the game family etc.

And more importantly when is the next Ashes series on? Over your side of the world in 6 months or so?

Update: Getting late here. Off to bed but see what I can answer in the coming days.

Edited by Ithikial_AU

38 minutes ago, Ithikial_AU said:

17SS

The community can quickly pump out some unit vehicle mods for the "Licken Mein Arse"... division. If they don't already exist.

I definitely will mdr import over the CMRT Schwimmwagen in place of the kubelwagen for this BP2 as I have a photo of a Gotz von B schwimmwagen somewhere. EDIT: it will not actually swim but still looks cool

Do your maps need any custom road signs flavor objects?

4th ID patches on the jackets probably already exist.

101 and 82 already are modtags for their uniforms. @JM Stuff maybe has some cool helmet candy for use.

You are a seasoned scenario and campaign author but if there is anything you think might spice up your BP2, please just ask and maybe the community can get with you.

I remember playing with my son years ago on PS3 the Brothers in Arms battles and if you need a certain farmhouse look for Ste Come du Mont(?)...maybe there is a guy who has a name that rhymes with pie that can make something gorgeous. :D

best wishes on your project...

Edited by kohlenklau

51 minutes ago, Phantom Captain said:

So looking forward to this!!!

+1

Happy to see news bigs BP, desapointed to dont see addons like, the tanks riders, (and they will never come), but interresting to follow specifics units in big campaign.

Thanks you @Ithikial_AU to the big presentation.

Cheers

Edited by JM Stuff

6 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

I've needed to create unit files for each of the regiments involved in the fighting including the various strong points along the beach. Realised these, coupled with the master maps is probably all the multiplayer crowd would need to tinker and create their own running series of linked battles

Can you explain this more please?  What are the "unit files" (format? file type)?  I assume they are kept/updated outside of CM if they are going to be used for the multiplayer crowd?