Newcomer Question(s)

Hello all

Firstly, as a new player I want to say how much I am enjoying CM.  I've owned it for a couple of weeks and have had some great quick battles with some fantastic moments (like knocking out a Panther at point blank range through a hedge).  This simulation is exactly what I have been looking for.  I owned CM2 Barbarossa to Berlin some years ago but am enjoying BFN even more. 

My question is, can I select 'Rhino' tanks with hedge cutters in quick battle?  I can't see them listed specifically.  (I have purchased the vehicle pack.) 

My second question is, does anyone also play 'Final Blitzkrieg' and if so does it offer sufficient variety to warrant purchase?  I'm thinking of getting it but not sure if it is too similar.

Sorry if these questions have been asked a million times, but as I'm new to this I'd appreciate any insight you can share.

Many thanks and I look forward to being part of this community.

Regards

Tommo   

You don't say which CM title(s) you already own.  If you enjoy playing the Germans, CMFB offers far more opportunities for winter German attacks than CMBN.  There are some xnt user-made campaigns and scenarios for FB as well.  Also, you get late war equipment.  Many of us consider FB one of the best titles.  You should check out the CMFB forums.

Thanks Erwin.  I only own CMBFN but also have the Market Garden DLC, plus the Commonwealth Pack, Vehicle Pack and Battle Map pack.  I like the look of CMFB with the winter terrain and camo schemes, plus the different maps.  I think I may continue with CMBFN for a little while and then inevitably I will succumb in the not too distant and get FB, maybe in a month or so.  Regarding my first question, can I select rhino tanks in QB?  I have seen them in screen shots but cannot figure how to select.  Many thanks.  

4 hours ago, Tommo said:

I think I may continue with CMBFN for a little while and then inevitably I will succumb in the not too distant and get FB, maybe in a month or so.

Welcome!

I think you've correctly interpreted how this works 😉.

I was in your position just a couple of years ago, starting with CMRT.  Then added CMBN.  Then CMFI.  And finally CMFB.

Anyway, CMFB is a great title.  Obviously it's not hugely different to CMBN but it does somehow 'feel' different to me, and has some different assets to play with. The maps, scenarios and campaigns are great even if there are fewer scenarios in FB.

Thanks for the responses.  Makes perfect sense now!  So I need to set the appropriate time and I can select rhino tanks. Excellent. 

I have pretty much decided to get CMFB in the next couple of weeks.  There is no point me trying to stop the inevitable.  Resistance is futile! 

Thanks again all.   

Actually Tommo, since you already have CMBN + Modules I think you would be better pressed to get CMRT next. This way you can switch on and off between Western and Eastern Front now...Then, next year or thrice get CMFI & CMFB. 

Joe

Edited by JoMac

On 9/25/2022 at 7:45 AM, Tommo said:

My second question is, does anyone also play 'Final Blitzkrieg' and if so does it offer sufficient variety to warrant purchase?  I'm thinking of getting it but not sure if it is too similar.

Welcome to the boards.

The answer to the quoted question is quite personal, and you'll need to make that call. Sounds like you've done.

For me though I skipped it. I'm jaded perhaps. No, I'm jaded certainly. FB just doesn't offer much new to justify the price for me. Snow, a few new units, maps, later-war armor.

Too few campaigns. Maybe there are a lot of single scenarios, but I don't play those, campaigns (and occasional QB) only.

I was originally looking forward to FB when it was in development, but over time I became less interested and ultimately gave it a pass. No regrets.

But I do have Red Thunder to compliment Normandy, and you should have more than one Combat Mission title I think.

Some day, Battlefront will make Combat Mission 2 (or 3 or 4 or 5) that will be a single base game with all new content plugging in and usable interchangeably and then I'd be more likely to keep adding to it. As it is, Shock Force 2 is my most recent purchase with no sign of changing.

I wish I was new again so it was exciting

10 minutes ago, Erwin said:

FWIW:  I count 9 CMFB campaigns in my folder (includes a training campaign plus user-made downloads).  I could only find 5 (non-training) campaigns for CMCW so by comparison that would make it a very unattractive purchase.

It's all about where you want to fight and who you want to be.  If you are a cold war person, then you need CMCW no matter what.  It definitely sounds like you are a WW2 person, and FB is a must have.  Snow, mud, darkness, desperate fighting.  Sherman-76, tiger & tiger2, etc.  It's all there.  The US campaign to clear a path to Bastogne from the south is pretty epic.  

CMRT has so much content your mind will explode.

No, but you will pretty much never play through everything in CMRT + the expansions, + all the user created content. CMFB wasn't too far behind, but now it will be years behind CMRT after preorders are finally over with and the new battle pack releases! 14(? I forget) new master maps! Campaigns that you can break down into regular scenarios and edit them.. etc.. compile them back into a campaign... and they're GeorgeMC maps... they are the best of the best! Dude!

By the way you can download custom made maps from other games (CMFI, CMRT) and convert them by using Hex Editor (

) giving you a near endless supply of scenarios if that wasn't enough. For CMBN, only maps from CMBS, CMRT, CMFB, CMCW, and maybe CMFI should work. And even then, there are some exceptions. You can learn them if you get into mapmaking.

Games like CMFI are quirky, and only certain maps will convert to certain games. I'm not sure why. The newer games are all mostly compatible. Cold War will take map conversions like a champion, seemingly no errors with CMBS and friends, but still unable to accept CMFI maps (Last I remember).

There is a Monte Cassino map on the forums here if you want to download that, by Sburke, good map! It's a huge *** mountain with a town under it. You can convert that to your games for free.

CMRT's files with all the current updates and doodads before the new preorder is sitting at 16.3GB. I think only CMBN, and CMSF2 are similar in size, but CMSF2 is old. Once CMBS gets the marines from CMSF2, and airborne Ukraine/Russian forces, then that will be the next "Game". B)

Edited by Artkin

On 9/27/2022 at 4:14 PM, Redwolf said:

CMFB haz Stuuuurmtigah. Instant buy.

I've had CMFB for years now, and I still haven't used or even seen the Sturmtiger :)

As for the original poster's question, yes I think CMBN and CMFB go well together. Those are the CM games I decided to get.

But you could also get Normandy for the hedgerow fighting and then another title for the open terrain long distance combat. It depends what part of the war you're most interested in. You could also choose CMRT to include the Red Army instead of the Americans.

After that, it becomes a bit of a case of diminishing returns. Al the CM games are basically the same game just in different times and places.

Edited by Bulletpoint