Cold War Public Beta Tournament

Here's the announcement that was made by Matrix today:

Matrix Games and Battlefront are pleased to announce the first Combat Mission: Cold War public Beta tournament is now open.

Anyone who has Combat Mission: Cold War can enter.

You can join the tournament from within the game:

Go to > SAVED GAMES & PBEM > Join Automatic PBEM++ & Tournaments > Sign in > Select Beta Tournament and click [JOIN]

The first round will commence on Monday, 4th July 2022 9:00 GMT.

There will be 2 Rounds with 10 days for each round:

·         First round’s goal is capturing a bridge

·         Second round is evacuation through a small village.

Players will need to average 1.5 turns a day to complete each Round in the allowed time. This is faster than normal as it is a Beta test tournament.

Password protection is built into the PBEM files but this feature isn't needed for tournaments so we advise you to leave all password fields blank.

Missions Description:

US Rangers try to take a bridge away from Soviet Recon

17 July 1982. Soviet armored elements lead the exploitation of their unit's breakthrough. US CAV units seek to interdict them

Are you ready for the battle?

You have time to join till Monday, 4th July 2022 9:00 GMT.

Here is how to Join a tournament:

Install the new v1.04 patch. Once installed, open the game and follow these steps:

SC3.png

SC1.png

SC2.png 

15 hours ago, AlexUK said:

A real shame Mac users cannot do this, and it sounds like they never will.

This is correct, unfortunately. PBEM++ is a Windows PC only function.  I've tried running CM games using Parallels Desktop but the performance was painful. I don't know if it would be better in Bootcamp - haven't tried. Might be worth a try.

14 hours ago, Grey_Fox said:

Will windows users running 1.04 still be able to play normal PBEMs against mac users runnin 1.03?

Yes, same as always.

Dave

10 hours ago, THH149 said:

I'm wondering if I should enter this, but I'm in the Australian time zone.

What's ppls experience playing others across very different time zones?

THH

The last Beta AAR I did was with Fire and Rubble. My opponent, Ithikial_AU lives in Australia and I live on the East coast of the US. We managed a couple of turns per day. It usually worked out that I woke up to a turn and then had another one that night. 

On 6/24/2022 at 4:24 PM, Grey_Fox said:

Will windows users running 1.04 still be able to play normal PBEMs against mac users runnin 1.03?

Yes, the v1.04 won't break existing battles. The only change for v1.04 was the addition of the tournament feature.  

We've pushed the beginning of the battles back a few days until Monday. There was an issue discovered with the scoring. It has been found and fixed and a new build needs to be spread around before we can start. Monday was decided as the date that should give us plenty of time to do that.

I sent my first turn back on Monday morning and I have not received anything back.  I have no way to contact my opponent as there is nothing visible in the PBEM++ menu once I played my turn (password phase only so far).  I am not even sure of his/her user name (something starting with a "Z" I think).

Seeing this is a Beta Test here is a suggestion or two:

• Set it up in some manner that keeps active games listed, with username + e-mail for reference.
  • Include a chat mechanism to message your opponent (like H2HH did)

Same here. My opponent went first and I got an email. I did my orders and pressed the GO key but no indication that the other person got it. I found out their name and reached out on Discord but no response so who knows if they got it.

The poster above had some great suggestions. I would like to add getting an email to confirm that the turn was successfully processed/opponent received it would be great.

Yeah only way to see who your playing is from the Slitherine site at the tourney section. Scroll down past the point rankings to the match-ups listed below it. Here's a link!

This is a mirror tourney, so we all play from both sides, US and Soviet sides per round. So expect to see 2 battles listed per rd.

Also the games listed under Progress++ should disappear from the list once you do your turn. For some reason mine are not and Im guessing others are having this problem as well. Its a beta tourney after all, still got some kinks to iron out! 😉

Also make sure to leave Soviet side password blank. US sides are already blank, so this cant be changed.

Edited by MeatEtr

Hi MeatEtr, I am your opponent, I would suggest reaching out on the CM discord if you are having a technical problem. They are very responsive on there so it might be possible to fix the problem in time for us to get the games in.

Edited by Grimtechnique

2 hours ago, MeatEtr said:

Yeah only way to see who your playing is from the Slitherine site at the tourney section. Scroll down past the point rankings to the match-ups listed below it. Here's a link!

This is a mirror tourney, so we all play from both sides, US and Soviet sides per round. So expect to see 2 battles listed per rd.

Also the games listed under Progress++ should disappear from the list once you do your turn. For some reason mine are not and Im guessing others are having this problem as well. Its a beta tourney after all, still got some kinks to iron out! 😉

Also make sure to leave Soviet side password blank. US sides are already blank, so this cant be changed.

That's weird. I was able to enter a password for the Soviet side but when I tried to play the US side it said password was incorrect. I figured I just play the Soviet side then.

Again, I never heard back from my opponent so who knows. I'm playing as Byzantine1990.

17 minutes ago, Simcoe said:

That's weird. I was able to enter a password for the Soviet side but when I tried to play the US side it said password was incorrect. I figured I just play the Soviet side then.

Again, I never heard back from my opponent so who knows. I'm playing as Byzantine1990.

The other sides password is already preset to being empty. (in this case I believe the blue side)

This is a technical limitation of CM2 engine when combined with the Slitherine tournament system. I hope something will be found to mediate this.