Cold War Public Beta Tournament

9 hours ago, Simcoe said:

I would like to get this confirmed because a large battle can take a couple hours to plan the first turn and it's nice to be able to come back and finish giving orders later.

Not to mention the risk of a power failure or game crash. Saving your work at reasonable intervals is kind of essential to computer work.

11 hours ago, Simcoe said:

I would like to get this confirmed because a large battle can take a couple hours to plan the first turn and it's nice to be able to come back and finish giving orders later.

I will check it out. I don't have a definitive answer for you. My guess would be that you'd still have to process a turn without saving. I'll let you know what I find out.

If it's any consolation, it is extremely unlikely that there will be any large battles used for tournaments. The "standard" battle for tournament will likely be about 30 turns/minutes. The proper non-public beta scenarios that we have prepared are all 30 minutes. And we are figuring about 30 days per Round. I don't think 120 minute/turn battles would work well with a tournament. 30 days per Round already sounds like a long time.

9 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

If it's any consolation, it is extremely unlikely that there will be any large battles used for tournaments. The "standard" battle for tournament will likely be about 30 turns/minutes. The proper non-public beta scenarios that we have prepared are all 30 minutes. And we are figuring about 30 days per Round. I don't think 120 minute/turn battles would work well with a tournament. 30 days per Round already sounds like a long time.

How about PBEM++ ? Can one save and continue later? I haven't dared to test with my ongoing matches. 

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

I will check it out. I don't have a definitive answer for you. My guess would be that you'd still have to process a turn without saving. I'll let you know what I find out.

Thank you for following up. 

I think it's more of a force size issue. Setting up a defensive position on the first turn can take hours for anything over a platoon. If I'm playing against a human I most definitely want to come back to it the next day and review with fresh eyes before submitting.

Hello.

Finished 2 missions. American mission finished and disappeared from the list, but Russian mission's last turn just hangs in available to play list. I can reload it play final movie, check battlefield and press end button and do it all over again. So I am not sure, is it finished on the server side or not.  

I have a question related to PBEM ++, not the tournament (still have not received any turns BTW).

When I see a game listed under PBEM++ Challenges, is that just a general challenge visible to everyone, or a challenge directed to me specifically?

And how do you initiate challenges?

13 hours ago, Andrew Kulin said:

When I see a game listed under PBEM++ Challenges, is that just a general challenge visible to everyone, or a challenge directed to me specifically?

Everyone can see all the challenges. However some are password protected (marked with an *). Only those that know the pw can join those.

13 hours ago, Andrew Kulin said:

And how do you initiate challenges?

Select "Battle" from the main menu, pick your scenario, pick your side, under "Select Game" options set the players to "2 Players - Automated PBEM++". That will show a new field for you to set a pw on the match if you are coordinating with an opponent.

On 7/10/2022 at 6:54 AM, darzininkas said:

Hello.

Finished 2 missions. American mission finished and disappeared from the list, but Russian mission's last turn just hangs in available to play list. I can reload it play final movie, check battlefield and press end button and do it all over again. So I am not sure, is it finished on the server side or not.  

Slitherine site shows two scores for you.  https://www.slitherine.com/tournaments/scores/774

20 hours ago, Artkin said:

I never recieved any turns back

It is unfortunately a side effect of Open Tournaments, not all who sign up, play. with any luck they will be able to see who hasn't even sent a turn and remove them before the next round.

Edited by Grimtechnique

56 minutes ago, Grimtechnique said:

It is unfortunately a side effect of Open Tournaments, not all who sign up, play. with any luck they will be able to see who hasn't even sent a turn and remove them before the next round.

Ok cool, just making sure there are no technical mishaps. 

My opponent has scored in tournaments for different games so I wasnt sure of I was holding anyone up

1 hour ago, Artkin said:

Ok cool, just making sure there are no technical mishaps. 

My opponent has scored in tournaments for different games so I wasnt sure of I was holding anyone up

I can't say there hasn't been any technical issues, but you would of hoped they would of tried to contact you in some way.

We will have to see whether the issue continues into the second round.

1 hour ago, Grimtechnique said:

I can't say there hasn't been any technical issues, but you would of hoped they would of tried to contact you in some way.

We aren't able to add a chat feature but if, before joining a tournament, both players click Share Email you would get the players email.

Also, if is possible to send a private message through the Matrix forum? It is the same user name to login into the tournament as it is for the forum, right? Or are they different? I know the Battlefront "store" login and forum user names can be different.

56 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

We aren't able to add a chat feature but if, before joining a tournament, both players click Share Email you would get the players email.

Do you guys have the ability to see who hasnt made any action at all? I assume you would be able too.

Does that also mean you have the ability to trim the non-active applicants?

Thanks for that bit of info i didnt realise that was the function of that button.

4 hours ago, Grimtechnique said:

Do you guys have the ability to see who hasnt made any action at all? I assume you would be able too.

The same as you. By looking at the leaderboard. I see the same thing (but it looks different) in the backend tool.

Does that also mean you have the ability to trim the non-active applicants?

Someone at Matrix or Slitherine might but we don't

Thanks for that bit of info i didnt realise that was the function of that button.

Yup. If both players click it then each players email address is displayed. But both players need to do it.

On 7/13/2022 at 6:03 PM, BFCElvis said:

The same as you. By looking at the leaderboard. I see the same thing (but it looks different) in the backend tool.

Someone at Matrix or Slitherine might but we don't

Yup. If both players click it then each players email address is displayed. But both players need to do it.

What happens if life gets in the way and you can't continue? 

16 hours ago, Simcoe said:

What happens if life gets in the way and you can't continue? 

Good question. I am pretty sure that the battle will end with the score in the running total as the final score. The Matrix website aspect of this is somefink that is still new to us. I've sent a message asking for clarification but I don't expect to hear back until next week. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am curious, from BFC's perspective, was the beta tournament a success?  What issues, if any, were discovered?

I offer the following.  It would be helpful in future tournaments if coordinators provided e-mail addresses for each pair of opponents to facilitate communication.  I could not find out my opponents' e-mails and had no means to coordinate turns/times to play if in radically different time zones, nor inform them of vacation plans (I was on a 4-day canoe trip at start of round two).

In similar vein, relating to PBEM ++ system, I would prefer if allowing opponent to see your email or not be something that could be set-up by us users as an automatic default.  Myself, I don't have an issue letting my opponent see my e-mail and so I would prefer if I could set this up as yes just one time and game remembers my preference going forward (retaining ability to change for future matches if desired).