How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

Looks like Poland sent to Ukraine own loitering munitions Warmate. There are no official statements about this. After 2015 were some talks about plans of license producing of Warmate in Ukraine, but this didn't happen. Warmate can be equipped with HEFRAG, HEAT (120 mm RHA), thermobaric warheads or devices for recon

Зображення

Зображення

Edited by Haiduk

This is not for sburke list, just new spotted Russian unit from most distant point of Russia - at least one BTG of 39th separate motor-rifle brigade was moved to Ukraine. This guy was tank platoon comamnder, though he was a captain and should be company commander according to own rank. 39th brigade is a part of 68th Army Corps of Eastern military district. Brigade dislocates in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk on Sakhalin peninsula. Good opportunity for Japan %)

Edited by Haiduk

49 minutes ago, Haiduk said:

This is not for sburke list, just new spotted Russian unit from most distant point of Russia - at least one BTG of 39th separate motor-rifle brigade was moved to Ukraine. This guy was tank platoon comamnder, though he was a captain and should be company commander according to own rank. 39th brigade is a part of 68th Army Corps of Eastern military district. Brigade dislocates in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk on Sakhalin peninsula. Good opportunity for Japan %)

Have you got any idea where this unit is deployed ?
It seems that the 39th MRB is equipped with T-80BV

My take on the Russian approach: Send a BTG, then pummel with artillery whatever it is that the BTG got stopped by. Repeat.

Given that (very simplistic) summary, artillery is the Russian weapon that needs to be countered/eliminated.

The rush of Western artillery should help Ukraine do exactly that. Massive ISR saturation of the Russian support echelon should give Ukraine a detailed target set of Russian artillery (I include the various missile launchers here as well).

Extended range munitions (Excalibur rounds, GMLRS, Switchblade 600, etc.) should allow Ukraine to aggressively attrit the Russian artillery arm.

Once that is done, that will represent the accomplishment of a pre-condition to any Ukrainian counterattack.

Some of these attacks, like any attacks on Russian airbases/logistics hubs, will occur on Russian territory. I do not see that as an escalation. Russia has invaded Ukriane. Ergo, Russia landmass is a legitimate target. As long as Ukraine uses precision targeting and limits the attacks to military targets (or those that are directly supportive, e.g. bridges, POL facilities, etc.) I cannot see any negative repercussions. Sure, Russia will bitch. What are they going to do? Send MORE BTGs into Ukraine and threaten to rape, loot, and pillage? BTDT.

Given the depth of Russian penetrations into Ukraine, getting 150+km range weapons into the fight will have a noticeable impact on the course of this campaign.

So a question for the smart technowizzes peoples on here.

Could say Anonymous hack the Russian media, I think the main channel is RT, and take it over or melt it down? If they could take it over and then feed war crimes, dead and captured soldiers and destroyed RA equipment 24/7 with some commentary from Russian speaking victims and deserters maybe they could fight some of their propaganda. 

How about their ICBM's? Any chance that system could be shut down? Just thinking it would be nice to take their big trump card away. They would still have the smaller stuff but no MAD option. 

Political question:

Could the west tell Putin that if he uses chemical weapons the UA will be provided with the means to retaliate? Would there be any treaty violations or UN rules broken or anything like that?

Mariupol observation:

Over the past few days we've seen the defenders of Mariupol still using armored vehicles. They even broke through to a pocket of defenders a couple days ago and rescued them. The fact that they have any vehicles at all in working order shows that they haven't been as beaten and neutralized as the RA would like to portray. If the RA pulled as many troops out of there as they say I'm not going to be surprised if Azov and other units in there start taking back the city. If they could raid and capture a supply depot or two that would be a game changer for them. 

14 minutes ago, sross112 said:

How about their ICBM's? Any chance that system could be shut down? Just thinking it would be nice to take their big trump card away. They would still have the smaller stuff but no MAD option. 

Gah! Were I King for the Day, and a minion presented the idea of hacking into the Russian ICBMs to neuter them, I'd have to put that minion in stocks for the day.

I cannot imagine a more dangerous thing to try to do. Let's imagine...

1. The hack is successful and Russia cannot use their ICBMs. They would, most likely, presume this to be an attack precursor and they would then use/launch their SLBMs, and any other nuke (SRBM, air-launched) etc. against whichever agency they think has just hobbled them.

2. The hack is unsuccessful. See "1", above.

9 minutes ago, c3k said:

Gah! Were I King for the Day, and a minion presented the idea of hacking into the Russian ICBMs to neuter them, I'd have to put that minion in stocks for the day.

I cannot imagine a more dangerous thing to try to do. Let's imagine...

1. The hack is successful and Russia cannot use their ICBMs. They would, most likely, presume this to be an attack precursor and they would then use/launch their SLBMs, and any other nuke (SRBM, air-launched) etc. against whichever agency they think has just hobbled them.

2. The hack is unsuccessful. See "1", above.

Oh for sure, if it was a government action it would definitely be like that. What if it is done by a group like Anonymous, not government sanctioned and from all over the world? Would it be possible to do? 

1 minute ago, The_MonkeyKing said:

I still think would be better that everyone would buy the same type that there is enough to go around (for example US M109) to Ukraine to keep things consistent.

Now it is starting to look Ukraine will get a battery or two of every possible different kind of Self-propelled artillery...

Long term for sure, but if the goal is to use it in a counteroffensive in early June, bringing everything available right now makes sense I think. When it starts to break down, hopefully there will be M109s ready to replace it. 

1 hour ago, Huba said:

I know nothing about ordnance handling procedures in airbases, but that does not look right. Aircraft on the left are Su-34s I think? 

Yes, the tail "stingers" look like Su-34s and one of them is painted in the earlier bright blue multicolour camouflage some of the earlier batches received. 99+% sure they're Fullbacks.

31 minutes ago, sross112 said:

Oh for sure, if it was a government action it would definitely be like that. What if it is done by a group like Anonymous, not government sanctioned and from all over the world? Would it be possible to do? 

I wouldn't be so sure, we've had a number of close calls just due to unintended causes. A cyber attack would be perceived as neither innocent nor unintended.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200807-the-nuclear-mistakes-that-could-have-ended-civilisation

On 25 January 1995, the then-Russian President Boris Yeltsin became the first world leader in history to activate a “nuclear briefcase” – a satchel which contains the instructions and technology for detonating nuclear bombs.

Yeltsin’s radar operators had noticed that a rocket had been launched off the coast of Norway, and they watched uneasily as it rose into the sky. Where was it headed – and was it hostile? With the briefcase in his hands, Yeltsin frantically conferred with his top advisors about whether to launch a counter-attack. With minutes to decide, they realised it was headed out to sea and was therefore not a threat.

Edited by OldSarge

4 hours ago, Armorgunner said:

Is this the biggest thread in Battlefronts history, ever?

That would be the cesspool.  Technically this may be bigger, since the original cesspool thread broke the forum when it hit around 130 pages and was then restarted every 100 pages for around 15 years.  The link above goes to the first child thread - the original doesn’t seem to come up in searches but I’m pretty sure it’s still in there somewhere.