How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

24 minutes ago, Kinophile said:

Do you have any info on state of 144th MRB, or the 20th Gds. CAA in general?

I've seen reports about heavy losses of BTG of 488th motor-rifle regiment and BTG of 59th tank regiment of this divistion near Kharkiv. Also somebody of regimental HQ of 59th  was captured.

10 minutes ago, Kinophile said:

Khakassia internal security pigs getting leery of being sent to the abattoir.

It seems the thought of burning to death in a piece of bleep AFV for the Gory of Czar Putin is ever less appealing. The Russian public may not get it yet, but the military types have seen enough obituaries to understand their odds of coming a hero, or at all.

9 minutes ago, Kinophile said:

No confirmation from Russian social media, so this is "backlkist" losses for now.

Edited by Haiduk

14 minutes ago, Kinophile said:

Maybe this guy?

Lt Colonel Mikhail Orchikov was deputy commander of a motor-rifle brigade 19th motor-rifle division

4 minutes ago, sburke said:

Maybe this guy?

Lt Colonel Mikhail Orchikov was deputy commander of a motor-rifle brigade 19th motor-rifle division

Orchikov lost about month and served in Vladikavkaz, so this was 693th MRR of 19th MRD. 

This article is for today and about as if both - commander and chief of the staff of 503rd MRR of 19th MRD were lost

1 hour ago, Fernando said:

It is better for the Russians to leave some units in Belarus rather than keep them inside Ukrania. They can fix some Ukranian troops with no danger of casualties. 

If the RA used the withdrawn formations that are deemed combat ineffective or "unreliable" along the Sumy border while they rebuild and maybe some in Belarus it might tie down some UA forces. It might not tie down much as the UA may just look at them with the same labels and determine that TD forces and some overage reservists would be sufficient to hold them back if they crossed the border again. In order to draw off significant UA assets the RA would have to pose a real threat and probably conduct regular raids big enough for the TD forces to need assistance. I guess it could be possible with those forces if they left the remnants of the VDV there but I'm leaning towards probably not feasible. 

18 minutes ago, DesertFox said:

Yeah that is completely absurd. Anyhow...

Not sure which is more absurd; them being on the council in the first place or having veto power. It's like a plate full of absurd with a side of absurd to with it. 

It should be a good test for China though. Do they back the west, back Russia or try to hide under a rock? And China being on the council just adds a third course of absurd to the aforementioned meal. 

4 minutes ago, sross112 said:

If the RA used the withdrawn formations that are deemed combat ineffective or "unreliable" along the Sumy border while they rebuild and maybe some in Belarus it might tie down some UA forces. It might not tie down much as the UA may just look at them with the same labels and determine that TD forces and some overage reservists would be sufficient to hold them back if they crossed the border again. In order to draw off significant UA assets the RA would have to pose a real threat and probably conduct regular raids big enough for the TD forces to need assistance. I guess it could be possible with those forces if they left the remnants of the VDV there but I'm leaning towards probably not feasible. 

I think all the above assertions are more correct than what I'm about to say.  I am picturing Putin looking over a map w units on it, and doing the Hitler thing and moving his units around like they are whole and not shattered remnants or severely depleted.  "steiner's army will cut them off as they advance toward Berlin!"

And what a difference a day makes.  Yesterday there was still at least some question about what happened in Bucha and eslewhere and the extent of the massacres.  No question any more.  And it's getting worse by the hour it seems.

2 hours ago, akd said:

More accounts from Bucha:

https://theins.ru/en/politics/249960

Interesting is the mention of either Belarusians in the Russian Army / Security units, or a Belarusian unit was present.

I have said since the start of the war, without any evidence, that Belarus contributed forces to the invasion in some form or another.  It was a hunch that something would go over.  Security units seem the most likely as they are more-or-less not likely to mutiny.

Steve

4 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

I have said since the start of the war, without any evidence, that Belarus contributed forces to the invasion in some form or another.  It was a hunch that something would go over.  Security units seem the most likely as they are more-or-less not likely to mutiny.

Steve

So now Belarus & its dictator might finally get some international attention, meaning sanctions & war crimes charges I hope

Our army couldn't have this "battlespace info cloud" and information superiority without people support and civil volunteers work. Here the usual day of one of largest volunteer fund of new Ukrainain politic (and showman) Serhiy Prytula (on the photo)

Translation: We bought 1000 pads for 8 million UAH, afterwards theses pads will go to ArmySOS [other volunteer fund, which developed software for information combat system] - there their golden men will setup "Kropyva" soft ["Kropyva" - information combat system, which became most universal and useful for all ground forces] and will return to us. Artillery, recons, HQ will become more happier and for "rusnia" this will bring more pain. And all this thanks to your donations

Or this: New party of "Hell rides" coming soon! Already drive to Ukraine! Soon much more AFU units will get wheels to drive orcs out!

Edited by Haiduk

14 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Although aren't there more Belarusians fighting as volunteers on the Ukrainian side than on the Russian side? Or did I dream that report somewhere?

3 hours ago, c3k said:

Ballpark numbers...

Military age males are about 10% of the total population according to that. That graphic says total is ~146 million, so MAMs number about 15 million.

If Russia has suffered 15,000 KIA and another 45,000 WIA, that's a mere 60k from that manpower barrel. 

Given that a society cannot draft 100% of the MAM into combat, unless the end is nigh (see Third Reich, about February of 1945), then let's say about 1/3 can be used. 5 million available, 60k casualties.

Russia can dig a lot deeper.

Can Putin survive if Russia digs deeper? Aye, now there's the question...

Edited to add: and, what the hell are they going to equip them with??? I'll bet the new conscripts will have thought the days of, "grab the weapon of the man ahead of you when he falls" was behind them.

The problem for Russia, if/when it is driven to dig deeper, is that Putin must declare war on Ukraine, because that changes the legal status of this conflict within Russia, essential for a step change in the country's mobilisation. And given the messaging and tone that we are beginning to see coming out of the Kremlin, perhaps Putin is preparing the way for that.

I hate to sound a tad pessimistic about where this conflict is going, I really hope I'm wrong but if it happens, Putin goes for 'war', the 'management of escalation' theory that I've hinted at in some of my earlier posts - a NATO game strategy aimed at supporting Ukraine just enough to ensure Russia is defeated on the one hand, but balancing this with 'minimalisation of risk' to provoke Putin to go further - then this game plan employed hitherto, totally goes out of the window.

I believe you can already see this 'game plan' being questioned (inadvertently) by senior politicians in the US. They have expressed repeated concerns that 'we aren't doing enough' and the result of the policy thus far (without probably appreciating the underlying game plan) has failed to prevent civilian deaths, on the scale of genocide, not to mention the war crimes that amount to genocide.

My point is that Putin gives this conflict a gear-shift moment, as he may well do, and we have a whole different ball game here, certainly not one which Biden's advisors are in command of any longer. It becomes plan B with lots of dangerous implications.

Yup.  I've been saying this from the day the war started.  Heck, I bet I was saying even a year ago.  There's only one way this ends... Putin dethroned one way or another.  Either because the army collapses and they lose everything at the front, then Putin goes, or Putin goes first and the new government withdraws with the excuse "that was Putin's mess, so we're not to blame for losing all that territory".

Steve

This takes us back to that interview with journalist, Julia Loffe; anyone that paid heed to her perspective on Putin would be equally convinced this is ultimately the only way this crisis can end.

But put her character profile and the projection of where this ends against the point I've made above, and you have a pressure cooker! 

Edited by The Steppenwulf

2 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

What I don't get is why the Russians don't leave those units near Kiev in order to fix as many Ukrainian units as possible. 

Because they got smashed. They didn't just "withdraw". They got surrounded and were running away, dropping lots of their stuff, incl a perfectly working Buk and a perfectly working Flap Lid of S300 system.

When you leave perfectly working AD assets with one of them being a strategic control unit that Ukraine is in a dire need of - it's not a withdrawal - it's a rout.

Edited by kraze

Reportedly whole territory of Sumy, Chernihiv and Zhytomyr oblasts now free from Russians. Ukrainian flags are raising up again over cross points. 

On the photo flag raising over Chernihiv border guard detachment directorate.

4243f5c-277569936-1610652995962792-2785186597176109401-n.jpg

Edited by Haiduk

At least some of the Russian units have withdrawn completely rather than be moved elsewhere in theatre. Aside from this convoy heading north past Orsha, there was also a group of 8+ Russian helicopters that left Belarus to move Ostrov area close the Latvian border. Which all starts to sound like they're being put in to storage to replace the border units withdrawn from the Baltics region,  and will be there rebuilding for a while.

https://twitter.com/MotolkoHelp/status/1510953450821062660?s=20&t=R354v073Kk-61HG10_ODcA