Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

3 hours ago, Sgt Joch said:

No you are wrong. That is not what I said. I suggest you go back and read what my post actually says instead of making up what you think it says.

p.s. - Steve wants us to drop this topic.

Anyone who wishes to pursue the topic offline could do worse than to learn more about Piercing The Corporate Veil. Not uncommon in lawsuits and why we buy Directors’ Insurance to protect board members should the corporation be sued, found liable, followed by suits against individual board members. Those of us responsible for such matters already know this aspect. Way off topic afaik, so just do some basic research.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/piercing_the_corporate_veil

1 hour ago, Sgt Joch said:

Very familiar with the concept, I have been a practicing lawyer for 40 years, but that applies for civil law purposes, not criminal law, so totally irrelevant to the Durov case, but again way off topic.

Piercing the corporate veil is also an extraordinary remedy and rarely granted except in very serious cases of corporate fraud. The way you usually get to director/officer liability is if they personally do something wrong or if a law imposes a civil/regulatory duty on director/officers. In that case the directors/officers can be sued or fined.

Criminal law is different. To jail someone for a crime, you usually have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they personally committed a criminal act. So sending mr. A (CEO) to jail for a crime committed by person B (corporation) is not possible under U.S./Canadian law. Now if mr. A is an accomplice/accessory in the crime committed by person B that is different because mr. A ACTUALLY PERSONALLY COMMITTED A CRIME. 

How this applies to the Durov case at this point is pure speculation since there are simply not enough facts to determine what he may or may not have done.

so can we get back to the war now?

Ghar.  Durov was arrested because his company is knowingly facilitating various criminal activities AND he is knowingly allowing them to continue.  By any reasonable legal definition, he is an accessory to criminal acts which, as you just correctly stated, makes him criminally culpable.  The only defenses Durov can mount, that I know of, are either a) he wasn't aware of the activity or b) it continued despite meeting a reasonable standard for combating it.  The French legal system will have to work out if the state has enough evidence to prove this according to their legal standards.

So please, stop.

Steve

2 hours ago, Lethaface said:

First exit seemed like rather friendly fire potential

I'm sure I saw another UKR section off the side they were shooting at.  They're also carrying a ton of gear, some of the guys can barely stand up at the start.  Can't hear a few english speakers at some points and a female I think.  Damn chaotic.

Edited by Fenris

4 hours ago, akd said:

Footage from 3rd Separate Assault Brigade’s recent operation in Kharkiv area:

I am very familiar with terrain like this.  In fact, I'll be spending a couple of hours in something not quite as dense tomorrow.  Every time I see these videos I think of how f'n difficult it is to maintain situational awareness.  Obviously the videos are edited down, so there's a lot of "boring" orientation/coordination going on between the sharp engagements.  But still... I'm happy nobody is shooting at me when I've got my compas or GPS out trying to figure out where the Hell I am!

Steve

2 hours ago, Lethaface said:

First exit seemed like rather friendly fire potential

Yeah, that struck me as well.  Just before one of them shouted to stop shooting I was thinking "I hope they know where the other M113s dropped off their guys" because getting out of a ride and blazing away into the bushes is risky.

Steve

Ukrainian forces left a scathing message for Putin's troops in the seized town of Sudzha, marking the first significant Russian settlement to fall to Kyiv since their incursion into Russian territory on August 6.

Sudzha was swiftly overtaken by Ukrainian soldiers in a surprise offensive, breaking through Russian defences and securing rapid advancements. Ukraine now boasts control over 100 Russian settlements and an expanse exceeding 500 square miles.

However, it seems Ukrainian soldiers couldn't help but mock their foes following their embarrassing withdrawal.

In the town's main square, a bold message was left in white paint: "Russians, learn how to fight. Your conscripts are rotting in forests", as reported by The Sun.

Defending the town were border guards, conscripts, and members of the Chechen Akhmat battalion, who allegedly fled their posts during the onslaught.

And in a typical Russian response, Putin is razing Sudzha. (Apparently he doesn't take insults lightly)

Russian forces "wiping out" Kursk Oblast's Sudzha with bombs

Russian troops are “wiping" the Ukrainian-captured town of Sudzha in Russia's Kursk Oblast "off the face of the earth", Oleksandr Pavliuk, commander of Ukraine's Ground Forces, said on Aug. 31.

https://kyivindependent.com/russian-forces-wiping-off-kursk-oblasts-sudzha-ukrainian-commander-says/

Edited by Sojourner

Interesting. Although many thought the fractioning towers were the bottleneck due to reliance on western parts.

Can't vouch for Kovalenko or the Information Resistance group but the linked website is, um, Liberal.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2024/8/30/2266959/-Ukraine-Shifts-Focus-From-Attacks-on-Refineries-to-Oil-Depots-An-Explanation?pm_campaign=front_page&pm_source=trending&pm_medium=web

1 hour ago, Battlefront.com said:

Nice.  Even though Russia likely has the ability to reroute power, it is always nice to see Ukraine blow up something very expensive to replace.  One more shove to push Russia's economy off the cliff.

Steve

They can reroute, but weren't they already having power issues?  Google  "power outage around moscow" and you get stuff like this from January.

Deputy Mayor, Plant Managers Detained Over Major Power Outage in Moscow Region - The Moscow Times

I'd say Putin has got to be feeling a bit of constriction in his lower backside.  The electrical grid around Moscow seems to be not as good as the one around Texas.....  not exactly a vote of confidence.

Edited by sburke

6 hours ago, Sojourner said:

And in a typical Russian response, Putin is razing Sudzha. (Apparently he doesn't take insults lightly)

Russian forces "wiping out" Kursk Oblast's Sudzha with bombs

Russian troops are “wiping" the Ukrainian-captured town of Sudzha in Russia's Kursk Oblast "off the face of the earth", Oleksandr Pavliuk, commander of Ukraine's Ground Forces, said on Aug. 31.

https://kyivindependent.com/russian-forces-wiping-off-kursk-oblasts-sudzha-ukrainian-commander-says/

russian bombs exploding in russia mean less russian bombs exploding in Ukraine.

4 hours ago, Holien said:

Moderately useful in showing known targets around Moscow. Damage yet to be known but either way will have stretched the air defences and brought the war home to those in Moscow. 

The power plants are oil-fired facilities, and I'd expect they're either peakers (only run during peak demand periods) or else dedicated to powering (older) industrial facilities. Fuel-oil is quite expensive, even in Russia, so it wouldn't be baseload power. That wasn't always the case of course, hence the huge nameplate size of these plants.

Ergo, I wouldn't count on these strikes putting the lights out in Metro Moscow; some rolling brownouts perhaps, if it's very warm weather.

Edited by LongLeftFlank

12 hours ago, Bennie said:

Interesting. Although many thought the fractioning towers were the bottleneck due to reliance on western parts.

Can't vouch for Kovalenko or the Information Resistance group but the linked website is, um, Liberal.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2024/8/30/2266959/-Ukraine-Shifts-Focus-From-Attacks-on-Refineries-to-Oil-Depots-An-Explanation?pm_campaign=front_page&pm_source=trending&pm_medium=web

At this point, destroy the depots, destroy the refineries, burn it all down until the Kreml is forced into some sort of concession. 

Putin needs to lose face so the incessant jubilations for him in the West stop.

In Germany today is the beginning of the Russian-financed fascist takeover in Thuringia, and Saxonia and other eastern states will likely follow and turn Germany into as much of a drag on NATO and Ukraine as the locked congress in America was. 

Trump is not Putin's only willing stooge. He has his finger in the pockets of many parties in the West.

Edited by Carolus