Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

48 minutes ago, Monty's Mighty Moustache said:

Elderly woman's killer released for second time to fight in Ukraine https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cg58mj7mzrdo

MMM

By killing off as many of its own soldiers over time, Russia is not only saving healthcare costs and pensions, but also avoids having to re-integrate veterans into whatever Russian think a society looks like. 

The key thing in this speech is "present a victory strategy to U.S. leaders".  I understand from other reports that this will be presented to Trump, Harris, and Biden - covering all bases in preparation for the peaceful transition of power.

So.... does Our Mother of All Threads shut down once we all slither over to House Slitherine?

https://www.linkedin.com/company/slitherine/about/

https://www.linkedin.com/m/profile/in/iain-mcneil-3896a8/

...Great to see the CEO has come up in and from the business; i.e. not one of the dilettante finance bros who have 'rolled up' (i.e. gobbled up) so much of the gaming industry.

If someone like Iain had been running Boeing, the shareholders, not to mention fliers and governments, might be a dang sight better off.

Edited by LongLeftFlank

53 minutes ago, LongLeftFlank said:

So.... does Our Mother of All Threads shut down once we all slither over to House Slitherine?

https://www.linkedin.com/company/slitherine/about/

https://www.linkedin.com/m/profile/in/iain-mcneil-3896a8/

...Great to see the CEO has come up in and from the business; i.e. not one of the dilettante finance bros who have 'rolled up' (i.e. gobbled up) so much of the gaming industry.

If someone like Iain had been running Boeing, the shareholders, not to mention fliers and governments, might be a dang sight better off.

This thread stays!  I made the entire sale of Battlefront conditional upon it :)  OK, not really, but it did come up in our discussion about what to do with the Forum as a whole.

I gotta say that Iain's upbringing in the wargames side of the industry is what made us interested in working with Slitherine to start with.  I had beers with him a couple of years ago and it swapping "war stories" was a hoot.

Steve

31 minutes ago, Jiggathebauce said:

Anyone heard about a second raid into Belgorod?

There was some units that slip into Belgorod two weaks ago if i remember correctly. But they pulled out. There was a video from i think 155th russian marines? that shown Ukrainian soldier head on a spike and some corpses.

1 hour ago, Battlefront.com said:

This thread stays!  I made the entire sale of Battlefront conditional upon it :)  OK, not really, but it did come up in our discussion about what to do with the Forum as a whole.

I gotta say that Iain's upbringing in the wargames side of the industry is what made us interested in working with Slitherine to start with.  I had beers with him a couple of years ago and it swapping "war stories" was a hoot.

Steve

Congrats Steve! Well earned!

3 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Steve

Has there been any clear decision on Black Sea and 22-24 DLC - if it is "politically okay"?

I would like to smoke *historically accurate* russian formations.

Wrt drones (and lacking FPV) as their usability is very limited ingame compared to the real world.

Edited by Kraft

1 hour ago, Kraft said:

Has there been any clear decision on Black Sea and 22-24 DLC - if it is "politically okay"?

I would like to smoke *historically accurate* russian formations.

Wrt drones (and lacking FPV) as their usability is very limited ingame compared to the real world.

Yes.  The decision was made last year to kill it off completely.  The news today changes nothing.

Steve

11 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Yes.  The decision was made last year to kill it off completely.  The news today changes nothing.

Steve

I can understand the decision of the devs well in this matter.

Also, while it was this thread and the information therein which pulled me into this forum, as a result of lurking on other subforums, I bought two of the WW2 titles upon their steam release and I have barely scratched the surface of the content.

2 minutes ago, Offshoot said:

This was only a matter of time.  I still suspect they used some hand made Hrim-2 ballistic missiles on Saki airbase in Crimea.  As of yet nobody has put forward a viable alternative, so I'm going to say this is Ukraine's second one :)  Probably based on Hrim-2 in some way.

Steve

❗️Review

Obviously, the command of the enemy's group of forces (GV) "Center", which in recent days has shifted its efforts along the main direction of its offensive directly to Pokrovsk (the zone of operations of the 2nd Combined Arms Army/OVA) somewhat further south - to the zone of operations of the 90th Tank Division (TD), towards the city of Selidovo and the village of Karlovka, has obviously understood all the prospects that open up before it in the event of the offensive developing not so much "strictly" to the west, but to the south and southwest, in particular:

- The forward units of the 90th Tank Division (TD), with the support of the left-flank units of the 27th Motorized Rifle Division (MRD) of the 2nd OVA, broke through to the Selidovo-Karlivka (E-50) road from the north. At the same time, they managed to engage in battles for the village of Mikhailovka (no more than 2 km from Selidovo) and take control of the village of Memrik.

- The enemy, with the main forces of the 27th Motorized Rifle Division and apparently with the support of the 114th Separate Motorized Rifle Brigade, continued active offensive actions "along the railroad," that is, in the Novogrodovka area (in the direction of Sukhoi Yar), as well as in the Marinovka area, and was advancing in the northwestern part of the village.

This is very, very bad...

From now on, the SUCCESSFUL, up to this point, defense of the Ukrainian Armed Forces in the area of Karlovka and Galitsynovka, which, in essence, held back the enemy not only in the "deep" advance towards Pokrovsk itself, but also in the sense of expanding to the south the strip of its offensive in the Pokrovsk direction, becomes very problematic.

And although this does not completely eliminate the flank "problem" for the enemy regarding the organization and beginning of the "battle for Pokrovsk" (after all, the city of Selidovo continues to be controlled by the Ukrainian Armed Forces), it does significantly complicate the situation for the Ukrainian Armed Forces, both in the Novogrodovka and "Yary" area (this is the area of Krutoy and Sukhoy Yary), that is, directly in the Pokrovsk direction, and further south in the entire area between Krasnogorovka and Ukrainskoye.

These are obvious things that a more or less competent "operator" cannot fail to see - our units defending in the areas of the villages of Nevelskoye, Karlovka, north of Krasnogorovka, are now clearly in a rather uncomfortable position, in fact, they are "pregnant" for envelopment and cordon on the adjacent flanks of two enemy GVs - "Center" and "South".

The enemy's obvious next "move" is a breakthrough along the Memrik-Gornyak direction (reaching the Ukrainsk-Gornyak line), with its simultaneous advancement in the Krasnogorovka-Gornyak direction and reaching the Kurakhovka-Gornyak line, which will realize this "pregnancy" with a very unpleasant birth for us.
As for the general pace of the enemy's advance directly in the Pokrovsky direction, they have "slowed down" a little over the last 3-4 days, but in the general sense this does not mean anything.

This is probably due to the fact that the advanced units of the enemy's 27th Motorized Rifle Division and its 15th, 30th and 114th Separate Motorized Rifle Brigades (SMRB) were forced to be "drawn into" tough battles for Novogrodovka and on the "natural" line along the Zhuravka and Kazeny Torets rivers, and so far - not successfully enough for themselves.

What attracts the attention of a person who has the opportunity to receive information only from open sources?

Several features of the enemy's actions in the Pokrovsky direction (the zone of the 2nd OVA and the 90th TD of the enemy):

- The enemy has obviously "slowed down" in the area between Krasny Yar and Vozvdvizhenka. In this direction, the enemy has made significant progress over the last 4-5 days, exclusively in the Novogrodovka area and south of Krasny Yar (well, significant, in one case - 250 meters, in the rest - 1.6 km).

- The enemy's main efforts have obviously been transferred to the southern part of the offensive zone of its GV "Center". In the "epicenter" of these efforts, in the near future, will obviously be the area of Selidovo and Ukrainsky - Galitsynovka - Kurakhovka - Gornyak. I wrote about the reasons for this transfer above and in the last (or the one before last) review.

- If the enemy succeeds in his plan, then, most likely, the Ukrainian Armed Forces will have to retreat from Karlovka, from the area north of Krasnogorovka and from near Nevelskoye.

- It is becoming increasingly obvious that without a "solution to the problem" of Selidovo, the enemy is unlikely to begin (or, better said, be able to begin) any more or less large-scale, effective offensive actions directly towards Pokrovsk.

Of course, he will not stop attacking and storming in this direction, trying to break through the position along the Zhuravka and Kazeny Torets rivers, however, if the Selidovo area remains under the control of the Ukrainian Armed Forces, then any enemy forces and means that try to break through in the direction of Pokrovskaya will be "dominated" by the possibility of counter-attacks by the Ukrainian Armed Forces on their flank, and on a fairly "significant" tactical scale.

Well, and the main thing.

Apparently, recently the command of both the entire GV Center and its 2nd OVA in particular began “for some reason” to lack combat-ready forces and resources to “intensively attack” IMMEDIATELY and EVERYWHERE, along the entire line of their offensive.

It is necessary to intensively alternate (change) the areas and directions of application of one’s main efforts, actively regroup forces and resources, and the overall pace has “slowed down a bit.”

To make the picture even more "convex" on the scale of the entire GV Center, next time we will consider the situation in the "auxiliary" Toretsk direction, where troops (forces) of another army of the GV Center - the 41st OVA - are operating.

And then, we will try to draw conclusions regarding the intermediate stages of the enemy’s summer-autumn campaign for 2024, regarding its “main” operational direction, adding “subjective assessments” regarding other operational directions.

https://t.me/zvizdecmanhustu/2144

Mashovets on the situation in the East (Pokrovsk direction), where things are not developing in Ukraine's favor.

He does also note, however, that the Russian attacks cannot keep the same intensity on all parts of the front and have to focus on certain areas due to "exhaustion" of various things, especially manpower.

But Ukrainian defense is still hard pressed and as he noted in his previous "review", there are not many defenses being prepared behind the current frontline where the UA is becoming brittle, which worries him.