How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

4 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Sheesh... you know it's a slow day in OSINT combat news when ISW has their daily report out late evening my time instead of into the wee hours of the night.

This interesting bit in a section on Prigozhin caught my eye:

I hope we see Grigb back again soon so he can tell us what this all means ;)

There's a good discussion about how Putin's end to the partial mobilization left things a mess that is providing ingredients for larger social conflict (see above comment by Wagner's PR)

Steve

It sounds like ultra Nationalist/right wing scare mongering about a “great replacement” that has been encouraged by state media and absorbed as fact by broader society. Blaming their state for allowing other ethnicities in - even though they depend on them. So it’s kind of backfiring on the Russian state to have pushed this nationalist & racist crap.
There is a video on bbc (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63237327) of a Russian draft dodger in Istanbul who also talks about it as a current concern - for him more than h the war in Ukraine I think, despite it making him leave his newborn child and cycle to Georgia!

Edited by Maquisard manqué
Video link

6 hours ago, kevinkin said:

Would Russia ever consider passing WMD technology to a non-state actor as their world collapses?

Yes. Why not?

3 hours ago, chrisl said:

Anti-drone drones seems like the most reliable approach.  

A big piece of capital equipment, whether directed energy or kinetic, is just a big target, and once it's gone the opponent has free rein over the area.

Anti-drone drones can be cheaper than attack drones -...

Yes to all of that. Lasers will have their uses, but there are physical restrictions to energy storage that won't make them small or cheap in the medium future.

Since lasers systems did not make it to the battlefield, yet, no one has had to defend against them. As others have already noted, there are several rather simple & cheap things you can do against lasers. Won't make you impervious, but ups the power requirements on the lasers side. Then multiply the target numbers with a swarm (including even cheaper decoys) and your energy requirements skyrocket.
The first drone to be hit tells the rest, and everyone goes into crazy evasion mode. More problems.

I'm a bit guessing, but a laser shot is probably highly detectable with the right sensors. And the ray is literally pointing backwards, directly at the gun. CB will love that.

I think the good ole kinetic kill will be the mainstay for a while.

11 minutes ago, The_MonkeyKing said:

little more of the Ukrainian very cost efficient and fast modernizations:

For sure not as effective or easy to use as full integrated modernization but must be cheap, easy and fast to make.

Ok, what piece of equipment is shown here in this historical enactment? And where is this museum?

😮

5 hours ago, Jammason said:

I don't think lasers will ever be the right solution to the drone problem; too easy to harden a drone against them. A simple aluminum nitride or similar ceramic skin & propellers (even super powerful industrial lasers have a hard time with certain ceramics, and that's with a stationary target from a range of less than 1cm) plus sensors and an on-board algorithm that says "if things are getting hot, rotate and randomly dart around". Plus, a laser powerful enough to do damage from a distance is going to be huge, expensive, and difficult to produce and maintain, and thus a high value, difficult-to-replace target that will be prioritized by the enemy. Effectiveness will also vary with weather (temperature & atmospherics like fog, smoke, rain, and snow).

Nope, I think the answer is cheap kinetics fired by systems like Gephard or C-RAM. Barring those (also rare and expensive) systems, you could equip front-line forces with hundreds of anti-drone drones, which are already a thing that companies like Anduril are making as part of a more complete counter UAS system:  https://www.anduril.com/hardware/anvil/ 

The problem with reflective coating is solved by a couple of different technologies. First of all military lasers does not operate in industrial frequency range and standard reflective coatings doesn't apply so much. There are even technologies like Free Electron Laser, which can continously change the freqency of light pumped out and auto-adapt to target and atmosphere response in order to "sink" into target and don't get absorbed by atomosphere at the same time. Fiber lasers, which are most popular right now thanks to their better atmosphere handling are probably not that scalable in terms of frequency but still should be enough for simple and cheap drone constructions.

Military lasers are also built with pulse-action in mind and not steady output to negate any initial reflective material by overwhelming it to the point it melts or ablates and is no more reflective. This is probably the best approach as it is more adaptive.

In order to address the problem we have to invest in new technology as older ones can be effective but not efficient. Look at Israel, their Iron Dome is very good and still, they are shifting to lasers because they loose too much money with each shot and are vulnerable to saturation attacks. 

35 minutes ago, Maquisard manqué said:

Blaming their state for allowing other ethnicities in - even though they depend on them. So it’s kind of backfiring on the Russian state to have pushed this nationalist & racist crap.

But that's the thing. There's no core ethnicity in Russia. Every time some russian "nat" complains about other ethnicities - even I, being their neighbor, have no idea what he's talking about, especially since russian "nats" themselves look like a huge mix of all the ethnicities present in Russia.

But maybe hopefully every and each one of those 20-30 ethnicities in Russia considering themselves the "main" one is what leads to brutal downfall of the empire.

About two hours ago three Shakheds have struck our district thermal power plant. The fire was extinguished since a hour. Also one cruise missile was flying later as "control shot",but was intercepted probably in Brovary area. 

There was no elecricity turn off, but were problems with my cell phone internet

20 minutes ago, kraze said:

But that's the thing. There's no core ethnicity in Russia. Every time some russian "nat" complains about other ethnicities - even I, being their neighbor, have no idea what he's talking about, especially since russian "nats" themselves look like a huge mix of all the ethnicities present in Russia.

But maybe hopefully every and each one of those 20-30 ethnicities in Russia considering themselves the "main" one is what leads to brutal downfall of the empire.

Isn’t it actually a lot simpler and cruder? Whether someone has whiter skin? That’s your common-or-garden racist starting point.

Each country’s own social & ethnic makeup then results in more elaborate definitions of the “ok” group, but it’s always such a flawed definition- e.g. US, UK etc. fundamentally it’s just about people looking different and then a rationale being made to fit.

2 minutes ago, Maquisard manqué said:

Isn’t it actually a lot simpler and cruder? Whether someone has whiter skin? That’s your common-or-garden racist starting point.

Each country’s own social & ethnic makeup then results in more elaborate definitions of the “ok” group, but it’s always such a flawed definition- e.g. US, UK etc. fundamentally it’s just about people looking different and then a rationale being made to fit.

yeah but "whiter skin" is soon to be a minority even in Moscow where it shuts up and downs their head when they pass by chechens or dagestanis (or I guess tajiks now too) which are already quite numerous and also consider themselves superior to "whiter skin" and regularly bully them.

So it's a mess. But certainly "nats" should keep amplifying that mess until it reaches the boiling point.

2 hours ago, dan/california said:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/10/17/fiona-hill-putin-war-00061894

Excellent but long. A lot of discuusion about how the war ends

I stopped reading at this point:

"It was a very specific reference. Kherson and Zaporizhzhia essentially control all the water supplies to Crimea. Crimea is a dry peninsula. It has aquifers, but it doesn’t have rivers. It’s dependent on water from the Dnipro River that flows through a canal from Kherson. It’s unlikely Elon Musk knows about this himself. The reference to water is so specific that this clearly is a message from Putin."

I'm no fan of Musk, but he's not stupid, and he has access to the internet. Even I knew that Crimea has a water supply problem, and that's just from casually reading online.

1 minute ago, Bulletpoint said:

Crimea is a dry peninsula. It has aquifers, but it doesn’t have rivers.

Little backwards we make up the shortfall with desalination plants. But that would become a big juicy target. Some smaller for individual use is also available. Makes a nice business when the war is over.

Solar Powered Portable Water Desalination Suitcase Reverse Osmosis | eBay

7 minutes ago, panzermartin said:

Is there a way for Ukraine to counter this? What if Russia goes all the way and the whole country is left with no electricity, no internet, transportation etc

2 can play those games.  

Russia needs to be given a clear message that if they continue the West will supply Ukraine with the capability to inflict a like for like response. 

Edited by Holien

The fragment of a Sukhoi Su-34 military plane is seen at the crash site in the yard of a residential area in the southwestern Russian city of Yeysk on October 18, 2022.
"The fragment of a Sukhoi Su-34 military plane is seen at the crash site in the courtyard of a residential area in the city of Yeysk, in southwestern Russia, on October 18, 2022. STRINGER / AFP"

Neighbors walk past a destroyed Russian armored personnel carrier in the city of Kupyansk, Kharkiv region, on October 17, 2022.
"Residents walk past a destroyed Russian armored personnel carrier in the city of Kupiansk, in the Kharkiv region, on October 17, 2022. ANATOLII STEPANOV / AFP"

24 minutes ago, panzermartin said:

Is there a way for Ukraine to counter this? What if Russia goes all the way and the whole country is left with no electricity, no internet, transportation etc

There is a way out. It is necessary for the entire population of Ukraine to move from the rear to the frontline. The front does not use energy from civilian sources🙃

A shameless plug for my latest scenario in which my designer notes pay tribute to the benefits of this thread and which I hope provides more input to the discussion point which @The_Capt has raised regarding the utility of light agile forces and a potential new paradigm in land warfare.  A link to the scenario is in the thread linked below: