How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

RU impressions

But this does not mean that everything is fine. The enemy's arty hits tightly even on the rear, and in fact, where the rear was once, hell is now going on. ****ty news comes from the New Kakhovka. The guys are sitting in a basement [whole day] today.

Where are the [ours] ****ing adequate answers [to this]?

When it comes to overthrowing Putin, one of the things I have trouble getting my head around is exactly how this would be done.  He seems to have big cadre(s) of very loyal guards.  What does an overthrow actually look like?  Does someone bribe the guards -- that's a dangerous conversation.  How would one actually get at Putin?  

I was hoping he'd be hit while traveling to/from Turkey a couple months ago, but no luck.

On 8/28/2022 at 2:00 PM, danfrodo said:

Which makes one wonder just how stupid China wants to be?  I think their leadership is smarter than Putin, but ya never know.

"Better lucky than good". People has low expectation on our supreme leader's intelligence level, we all know he got his elementary school diploma a while ago(that's a secret joke in China) .

But the chosen one has good luck, Putler took the lead of the formation and hit the minefield, so the chosen one has enough time to change his mind.  And when we look through the history record, we would find out "Winnie the Pooh" throw away a lot of bicycles (another joke)...

50 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

When it comes to overthrowing Putin, one of the things I have trouble getting my head around is exactly how this would be done.  He seems to have big cadre(s) of very loyal guards.  What does an overthrow actually look like?  Does someone bribe the guards -- that's a dangerous conversation.  How would one actually get at Putin?  

I was hoping he'd be hit while traveling to/from Turkey a couple months ago, but no luck.

Poison of course.

And don't even need to poison the guy fast like Stalin.

Poison can be administered slowly, like they did it to Yeltsin. Even looks like the guy is gradually going senile and drunk from outside, as poison kills his braincells.

Problem is that putin did Yeltsin's poisoning and that trick would not work on him.

Or would it? (Dun dun duuuun)

2 minutes ago, Beleg85 said:

There is longer version down the thread, it seems they forced UA to withdraw. It was from Russia Today, so probably cut appropriately to not show Russian losess.

So RU TV viewers are showing battle over some rubble in Pisky and it would be presented as a great victory.  Meanwhile, UKR today is taking a large number of villages and making real gains.  Gonna be quite a shock to RU folks if Kherson falls when they think they've been doing all the 'winning'.

2 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

So RU TV viewers are showing battle over some rubble in Pisky and it would be presented as a great victory.  Meanwhile, UKR today is taking a large number of villages and making real gains.  Gonna be quite a shock to RU folks if Kherson falls when they think they've been doing all the 'winning'.

"Good will gestures" come in all shapes and forms, my man.

IAEA to visit Zaporizhzhya power plant this week.  While they can't do anything, they can make a thorough evaluation of any damage and the integrity of safeguards and safety systems.

Sounds like the offsite power supply TO the plant is back on line, which is good news.

A couple of caveats - unknown how cooperative Russians occupying the plant will be with the IAEA, and the off site power of course is vulnerable to being cut off at any time. For now, all is well. Tomorrow?

https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/iaea-support-and-assistance-mission-sets-out-to-zaporizhzhya-nuclear-power-plant-in-ukraine

Dave

46 minutes ago, Huba said:

Wonder if they had bayonets done? Terrifying indeed. 

A good friend of mine was part of a USMC M60 machine gun team in Viet Nam. He told me of an assault on a tree line they made across a rice paddy. By the time he reached the tree line, three-quarters of the gun team were down, and he was the last one left. In the tree line, the fighting was hand-to-hand. They were so close, that when he threw a grenade from his prone position, the NVA soldier pushed it back. I didn’t press him any further (I never asked him direct questions, just let him tell me what he was comfortable with telling me).

5 minutes ago, Ultradave said:

IAEA to visit Zaporizhzhya power plant this week.  While they can't do anything, they can make a thorough evaluation of any damage and the integrity of safeguards and safety systems.

Sounds like the offsite power supply TO the plant is back on line, which is good news.

A couple of caveats - unknown how cooperative Russians occupying the plant will be with the IAEA, and the off site power of course is vulnerable to being cut off at any time. For now, all is well. Tomorrow?

https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/iaea-support-and-assistance-mission-sets-out-to-zaporizhzhya-nuclear-power-plant-in-ukraine

Dave

This IAEA delegation was allowed there on a condition that it won't have people from countries "unfriendly" to Russia.

So I'm calling it now - they will say "everything is ok, russians treat ZNPP like a princess".

But!

This is russians we are talking about - and russians are amazingly talented at ****ing everything up at the worst possible moment (for them). So there's a very non-zero chance of something going really bad right in front of IAEA due to sheer stupidity that will be extremely hard to cover up.

2 hours ago, danfrodo said:

A bunch of guys rushing in to arrest or isolate Putin, as was done to Gorbachev, is unlikely.  Kraze outlined the "safer" ways, but that takes time.  If someone decides there isn't time for that, then a bomb would do the job quite nicely.  Blow him up, blame Ukraine and the British SAS (or whomever else they feel like), and reassure the population that the new kids in town have got things under control.

Steve