How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

10 minutes ago, Harmon Rabb said:

NATO posted an animated video today replying to some commonly heard talking points we hear from Putin's government and its sympathizers about the organization.

I don't want to sound cynical but that video is not going to convince many of the useful idiots...

7 minutes ago, hcrof said:

I don't want to sound cynical but that video is not going to convince many of the useful idiots...

Yeah, check out the comment section of this very video if you want to see some of those folks you are talking about.

Still nice to see Russian propaganda being addressed openly by NATO. Hope to see much more of this in the future.

Edited by Harmon Rabb

2 hours ago, dan/california said:

There is literally NO reason except laziness and stupidity not to get off fossil fuels as quickly as humanly possible.

I believe the one limiting factor is storage density as noted before. Lithium ion batteries are too heavy and inefficient, and don't last long at all. They can't really provide the sustained amperage between heat and output inefficiency. I'm sure the armed forces are waiting for these breakthroughs too. I wouldn't doubt we would see some of this tech implemented first on a small scale from DARPA. They are likely watering at the mouth at the idea of having vehicles operate with little to no thermal signature besides the tracks.

After this, then it would be more feasible.

Just now, Artkin said:

I believe the one limiting factor is storage density as noted before. Lithium ion batteries are too heavy and inefficient, and don't last long at all. They can't really provide the sustained amperage between heat and output inefficiency. I'm sure the armed forces are waiting for these breakthroughs too. I wouldn't doubt we would see some of this tech implemented first on a small scale from DARPA. They are likely watering at the mouth at the idea of having vehicles operate with little to no thermal signature besides the tracks.

After this, then it would be more feasible.

But that's only about transport, (and trains are already electrified, another reason to love them). Burning fossil fuels for heating and electricity generation has to stop ASAP, there are no big technical challenges here, we just have to stop worrying and start to love the atom.

31 minutes ago, Butschi said:

Huh. So, where's the difference, then, to sanctions against Russia as a whole? Don't they make him look weak, too? 

Sanctions block movement of foreign goods on foreign territory. "Blockade" block movement of Russian goods between Russian territories. Huge difference. First is nuisance, second is like attack upon Russia

31 minutes ago, Butschi said:

Too me it looked more like he can use those for propaganda.

It does not work like this. RU propaganda must show to RU population that RU is winning. It is extremely difficult to show win if the flow of goods is not restored. But if EU backs down without getting something back, then yes, he will get his win. 

2 hours ago, Artkin said:

...it's time to end it already. 

NATO's foreign policy goals are pretty much fufilled. Russia can't scratch them after this

Is one of NATO's goals to have to go through this again in another 10 years? Because there's no way Russia is going to end "this" in a way that lets Ukraine into NATO or even the EU. How much of a victory do you want to hand to Putin and his murderous thieving brigand cronies?

What is your special insight into "NATO's foreign policy goals"? Sounds to me like you're making a bunch of assumptions, largely shaded by Russian propaganda. 

9 minutes ago, Huba said:

we just have to stop worrying and start to love the atom.

Funny enough I stopped worrying and started to love the atom when I read the detailed description of Chernobyl disaster. The disaster was not about the danger of atom. It was about absolute moral corruption of the communist regime that made it happen.

4 minutes ago, Grigb said:

Funny enough I stopped worrying and started to love the atom when I read the detailed description of Chernobyl disaster. The disaster was not about the danger of atom. It was about absolute moral corruption of the communist regime that made it happen.

Well we have had Nuclear disasters  in other places besides the ex Soviet Union ...

7 minutes ago, keas66 said:

Well we have had Nuclear disasters  in other places besides the ex Soviet Union ...

And Chernobyl seems to be the worst of them all, by pretty much any measure. Only Fukishima is rated "7", but the actual physical/medical/radiological effects of the Japanese disaster are very significantly less than those of Chernobyl.

11 minutes ago, womble said:

largely shaded by Russian propaganda. 

Lol what?

Nato's only threat is Russia. Russia has lost 2000 tanks according to UA MOD and almost 900 confirmed by Oryx. Russia is a mechanized army considering its large swathes of land, a lesson they obviously learned after ww2.

Now that army is gone. 2000 tanks. Nato is probably pretty pleased about this, Russia won't have ground forces that are capable of much. As said their production capability is laughable. The Military Balance suggests they are creating around 150 BMP-3 a year. And they have stuck mainly to modernizing tanks rather than producing new ones.

I wonder what proportion of Russian tanks were killed by Javelins or Nlaws. They probably knocked out a large percentage of vehicles. The cost of those atgm's is essentially nothing in comparison to what the US spends every year on it's military budget. With Russia gone and proven as a joke only China will be left. And we will probably see something similar with them if fighting ever broke out.

So my point is Nato's primary adversary is broken, and next to defeat. The organization must be pretty happy with this result overall. What will happen next? I'm not going to predict it, because who knows? I can't see the Russians conceding anything, and I think it will only happen from UA offensives.

What is happening is very sad, and watching videos of it hurts the soul. I don't want to discount the suffering of the Ukrainian people and the performance of their military.

19 minutes ago, Grigb said:

And same for Fukushima. You are most scared of what you don't understand, as usual. The risks are there no doubt, but very much mitigated in newer designs - and opposed to burning fossils fuels, there is a hell of a room for progress here.

2 minutes ago, Haiduk said:

UKR M777A2 are becoming Excalibur-ready

Somebody I quite respect said that he saw images from this video long ago, and that it's one of the Canadian guns. And anyhoo, this digital FCS is not needed for Excalibur anyway, cause there's this contraption:  https://slideplayer.com/slide/17798318/

Edited by Huba

2 hours ago, Twisk said:

I have avoided posting much because my input is not always needed but please stop polluting this thread with your complaints and take them elsewhere. You are showing absurd entitlement to new game product. Owner of company has responded to you and workers on the game have also responded to you. This is more respect than most developers give random user on forum and you waste it on more complaining and arguing because of your need for entertainment is so high.

Thanks for de-lurking to chime in.  It is a reminder that for every one person posting here there's probably quite a few that are reading. Which, again, shows the interest level in this thread.

Since shutting down a popular topic of discussion, which is totally on-topic to Combat Mission generally (as I've said, I'm taking copious notes for future CM features), there's really no reason to be having a debate about keeping it going.  It's going to keep going.

Let's all leave it at that so that we can get back to more relevant topics.

Thanks all,

Steve

6 hours ago, The_Capt said:

War has four main components: a certainty, communication, negotiation, and sacrifice.  This is what happens when sacrifice hits the wall of "Gen Me".

Can't unslack the jaw that a war gamer could have the opportunity to discuss a war *as it actually happens*, read and add commentary that could elucidate the conflict in ways that will affect the final product but instead complains that there's not enough discussion of the game. Mindbending.

2 minutes ago, billbindc said:

Can't unslack the jaw that a war gamer could have the opportunity to discuss a war *as it actually happens*, read and add commentary that could elucidate the conflict in ways that will affect the final product but instead complains that there's not enough discussion of the game. Mindbending.

No doubt our posts crossed :)  See previous post.  And yes, mindbending.

Steve

@sburke @Kinophile

Lt. Col. Valentin Danilov, unit unknown:

Major Alexey Kalmykov, deputy commander of a Spetsnaz unit (22nd Spetsnaz Brigade detachment?). Be sure to read the obit on his super heroic death in Mariupol saving the human shields held against their will by evil Azov nationalists, who outnumbered the poor brave Russians very severely:

1 hour ago, Artkin said:

Lol what?

Nato's only threat is Russia. Russia has lost 2000 tanks according to UA MOD and almost 900 confirmed by Oryx. Russia is a mechanized army considering its large swathes of land, a lesson they obviously learned after ww2.

Now that army is gone. 2000 tanks. Nato is probably pretty pleased about this, Russia won't have ground forces that are capable of much. As said their production capability is laughable. The Military Balance suggests they are creating around 150 BMP-3 a year. And they have stuck mainly to modernizing tanks rather than producing new ones.

I wonder what proportion of Russian tanks were killed by Javelins or Nlaws. They probably knocked out a large percentage of vehicles. The cost of those atgm's is essentially nothing in comparison to what the US spends every year on it's military budget. With Russia gone and proven as a joke only China will be left. And we will probably see something similar with them if fighting ever broke out.

So my point is Nato's primary adversary is broken, and next to defeat. The organization must be pretty happy with this result overall. What will happen next? I'm not going to predict it, because who knows? I can't see the Russians conceding anything, and I think it will only happen from UA offensives.

What is happening is very sad, and watching videos of it hurts the soul. I don't want to discount the suffering of the Ukrainian people and the performance of their military.

When something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.