How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

5 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Well, if you were wondering what happened to the band Scorpions, I think the second half of the video shows where at least one member went to!

Steve

😂 I was thinking the same. What a haircut !

Interesting point from Telenko that hadn't occurred to me before.  Drones can be used to preregister targets using GPS well ahead of enemy activity and potential GPS jamming.  However, I don't think it's all that useful.  If you know where you want to hit you can get GPS info off of Google Earth.  No need to send a drone to gather something even I can get easily enough.

What the drone/GPS combo does is acquire precise coordinates for an individual target based on where the enemy is at that second without having to run the risk of misidentifying the spot on a Google map that might be months or years out of date.

In other words, if you want to preregister a general location (like a road junction) then you can use Google Earth.  If you want to target a specific vehicle that's behind the 5th tree to the left of the house with the blue roof and attached garage, then you're better off with a drone/GPS providing targeting data.

Steve

53 minutes ago, sross112 said:

There are also 20 AS-90's and 12 Caesar's headed that way from the UK and France. So that should be 15ish batteries of really capable SP arty. These two are both said to fire at 6 rounds a minute so that is pretty respectable but not quite as fast as the Pz2000. @Taranis might be able to give some insight into the MRSI capability of such a system.

Overall numbers comparison it isn't much compared to the RA, but they should definitely be a pretty good force multiplier if used as intended to kill RA arty and command. I have no reason to doubt that the UA will impress us with their integration and use. I sure hope we get to see footage of a battery or two of Pz2000's MRSI on an arty/command/supply position.

Imagine that. A PH 2000 can land 5 grenades at the same moment on it's target. The Russians literally won't know what hit them.

Edited by Aragorn2002

11 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Well, if you were wondering what happened to the band Scorpions, I think the second half of the video shows where at least one member went to!

Wow, the possibility for an error worries me but impressive.

And I saw the Scorpions back around 1980 and then shortly afterwards Ulrich Roth, what a fantastic guitarist.  But this thread isn't about me, sorry!

24 minutes ago, Huba said:

Ukrainian Air Force bombed Snake Island:

Ukraine showing Russia how real air operations are done!  First they took care of the Muskova's ability to interdict air operations, then they went in and zapped the air defenses on the island.  This leaves the whole section of the Black Sea open to attack.  They wrecked at least two patrol boats then specifically hit a landing craft on the island before it could get spooked by air attacks.  With all that done, they then smashed the island with airstrikes. 

That's some excellent planning and execution.

Steve

Roman Donik about UKR and RUS artillery on Izium direction:

Our artillerists are really gods. Counter-battery fire this is first of all a war of calibers, distance and recon. Enemy has advantage in quantity and in artilery systems nomemclature. Whether you like it or not, but this is fact. And in ammunition types too. And in UAVs. And in missiles. And in aircraft. 

Therefore, in conditions, which our artillery works, I can say confidently - nobody can work better. Because of this SP-gunners of 93rd brigade after their effective work at the enemy, almost all day chased battery of Uragans, with continuos monitoring from the sky with 2-3 Orlans. They just were stopping for short time for the rest and almost immediately taking fire. And this mess whole day. But could break away from chasing and at the morning again poured on the attacking Russians. Why we don't beat up enemy Uragans? Because let see again about advantage in missiles and aircraft. Though... Why don't beat up? Lately a battery of Grads under comamnd of "Shkval"  - the legend of the Donetsk airport defense times, in result of raid actions almost across enemy's rears, poured fire on enemy Uragan-crews, which have been deploying to shell our positions. And there is tons of such examples. 

For two days of fighting on Kharkiv and Izium directions, according to Roman Donik, enemy has conducted 19 and 37 artillery strikes respectively. 4 airstrikes.

What is artillery strike? This is not several explosions. This is work of several guns, battery and sometime even several batteries simultainously. And this can last for hours. Tons of deadly steel are falling from the sky on you. And after this attack of Russian infantry begins with support of armor. This is hard to explain by words. This is just a psyche of people under these close explosions is beyond the edge of reality, understandable to us. And immediataly after theese explosions, this people take own rifles and launchers and repell enemy attacks on short distances. 

For two days of fight OUV "Sloboda" destroyed  11 tanks, 5 BMP, 3 BTR, 4 MTLB, 1 SP-howitzer, 2 UAVs Orlan, about 65 of personnel.

On the photos - the consequenses of just one attack. Super-short distances. And NLAW is recognized world leader of equipmnet, which produce barbeque-boxes in contact way. 

Зображення

Зображення

Зображення

Edited by Haiduk

9 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

I at first thought it was a woman.  Apparently in 1997 long hair was still allowed in the Bundeswehr. Don't think that's the case now.

Private contractor.  Looks to be a video documenting the testing of a specific autoloader system ("48v").  From what I know it is normal for contractors to do this sort of thing as the normal crews are not trained or have the necessary security clearance.  Could also be a liability situation in the event something goes horribly wrong.

Steve

45 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Interesting point from Telenko that hadn't occurred to me before.  Drones can be used to preregister targets using GPS well ahead of enemy activity and potential GPS jamming.  However, I don't think it's all that useful.  If you know where you want to hit you can get GPS info off of Google Earth.  No need to send a drone to gather something even I can get easily enough.

What the drone/GPS combo does is acquire precise coordinates for an individual target based on where the enemy is at that second without having to run the risk of misidentifying the spot on a Google map that might be months or years out of date.

In other words, if you want to preregister a general location (like a road junction) then you can use Google Earth.  If you want to target a specific vehicle that's behind the 5th tree to the left of the house with the blue roof and attached garage, then you're better off with a drone/GPS providing targeting data.

Steve

I think there are broader implications though, beyond the fact that the intersection of two random gravel roads in a Ukrainian cornfield might  NOT have the best data on google earth. It points towards the fact that for a first tier military with undegraded comms spotting rounds are just not going to be thing anymore. 

edit

dropped the not, my typing is truly hopeless.

Edited by dan/california
spelling

8 minutes ago, dan/california said:

I think there are broader implications though, beyond the fact that the intersection of two random gravel roads in a Ukrainian cornfield might have the best data on google earth. It points towards the fact that for a first tier military with undegraded comms spotting rounds are just not going to be thing anymore. 

Yeah, but that's been pretty apparent since this war started and, to some extent, since the 2014 war.  Telenko's point was that a GPS drone can get in ahead of EW, get some coordinates, and then have those coordinates available even if the enemy moves in with EW and denies the area to drones.  In theory this is an advantage, but as I said in reality if you know where you want to hit you don't need to go through that.  All you need is Google Earth.

Steve

3 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

but as I said in reality if you know where you want to hit you don't need to go through that.  All you need is Google Earth.

Steve

If that's the case, why can't we call in arty on ground which is out of LOS in CMBS without a TRP?

Edited by Grey_Fox

Just now, Grey_Fox said:

If that's the case why can we can't call in arty on ground which is out of LOS in CMBS?

It's on the wish list. Doesn't need to be modern titles either. Perfectly capable of calling in artillery on map coordinates, say on a sound contact that is beyond LOS, with some randomness to the accuracy of the coordinates (for older titles) and of course, your contact location may not be precise.

Dave

1 minute ago, Ultradave said:

It's on the wish list. Doesn't need to be modern titles either. Perfectly capable of calling in artillery on map coordinates, say on a sound contact that is beyond LOS, with some randomness to the accuracy of the coordinates (for older titles) and of course, your contact location may not be precise.

Dave

Is your wishlist an official feature to be included in the next DLC for BS?

4 minutes ago, Grey_Fox said:

Is your wishlist an official feature to be included in the next DLC for BS?

Not allowed to comment on anything I may or may not know. It's been asked for by users and on the beta forum. That's all. It's something that's done in real life. It would be nice to have in game, in some form, without using TRPs.

Dave

7 minutes ago, Grey_Fox said:

If that's the case, why can't we call in arty on ground which is out of LOS in CMBS without a TRP?

That applies even to all of the WW2 games as they could fire to grid coordinates just as easily in 1940s and they can in 2020s.

Every time this comes up (and it's come up hundreds of times since 2000) I point out that if we implemented this then the game would become instantly unplayable and utterly unrealistic.  The reason is that gamers have a very good sense of where the enemy positions are at the start of the battle due to the completely artificial game environment.  If I am the defender and I have artillery, guess what I'd do every single game?  I'd identify the likely place for the enemy's start position and hit it with artillery in the first seconds of the game.  Even before I know if anything is there for sure or not.

This is a rare example of a realistic feature would make the game LESS realistic if it was included.  Less challenging/fun as well.

Steve

1 minute ago, Ultradave said:

Not allowed to comment on anything I may or may not know. It's been asked for by users and on the beta forum. That's all. It's something that's done in real life. It would be nice to have in game, in some form, without using TRPs.

Dave

It's been requested since CMBO's Beta Demo in 2000.  That should give you an idea how likely it is to be included in the near future :)

Steve

Destroyed T-72B3 mod.2016, which was captured and used by Ukrainains. Izium area. 

Russian military correspondent and propagandist A.Kots claimed the level of losses of both side so high, that already were several episodes of tank engagements, when Russian units used captured T-64BV and Ukrainans - captured Russian T-72/80

Зображення

Edited by Haiduk

1 minute ago, akd said:

@sburke @Kinophile

Lieutenant Colonel Fezul Bichikaev, Deputy Regimental Commander ( @Haiduk, and idea which regiment?)

Somebody already wrote today about him. Yekaterinburg oblast - and motor-rifle signs on shoulder strips - obviously 228th MRR of 90th tank division. As if was killed in engagement with UKR recon group, when personnaly led Russian recons on mission. 

1 hour ago, Huba said:

Ukrainian Air Force bombed Snake Island:

I wonder if that went entirely according to plan?

That first impact seems a bit too close for comfort for the #1 aircraft that dropped it. And the #2 aircraft is entering airspace all of a sudden a bit more crowded with stuff than it was moments before.

Edited by Elmar Bijlsma