How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

1 hour ago, dan/california said:

Most of which might happen as a RESULT of this little military fiasco.

Hmmm well if memory serves me, I do believe that Ukraine was a nuclear power before they agreed to give their nukes up in exchange for some security guarantees.  In fact, everything he says that they are preventing was basically how things existed geographically at the time Ukraine surrendered their nukes.  Anyone who thinks that all the nations of NATO could agree on launching an offensive war against anyone is probably certifiable.  NATO can't even keep Turkey from attacking the Kurds.

12 minutes ago, DesertFox said:

I guess we shall know by tomorrow, but if true this is a huge blow for the Iwans.

That sounds like it falls in to the "too good to be true" category for me. Russia has a lot of forces in the south, and even with their low competence levels, it's hard to believe they could miss a force large enough to destroy a circa 200 vehicle column without the Russians noticing at all.

As you say, reality will probably become clearer soon.

Edited by TheVulture

1 hour ago, Haiduk said:

Kadyrov's recon squad was ambushed. Some of their equipment partially off-road car, upgraded AK-103 with RDS, GM-94 grenade launcher, specially developed in Russian in 90th years as universal weapon for special forces of Internal troops (now Rosgvardia) - both for urban combat (HE, HEAT and thermobaric grenades) and police work (tear-gas grenades and rubber bullets). 

Зображення

Again with the civilian comms 

6 minutes ago, Kinophile said:

Again with the civilian comms 

Russian army use radio, based on Chinisse Boafeng devices. Kadyrov could buy some better for own troops, but...

UKR forces used Boafengs in 2014-2015. Now on tactical level we have some better, but anyway civil-purpose Motorolas. Miliatary radio like Harris uses on battalion HQ level and higher.

Edited by Haiduk

12 minutes ago, TheVulture said:

it's hard to believe they could miss a force large enough to destroy a circa 200 vehicle column without the Russians noticing at all.

Looks like 55th artillery brigade worked with no mercy %) But awaiting a confrmation...

Edited by Haiduk

11 minutes ago, TheVulture said:

That sounds like it falls in to the "too good to be true" category for me. Russia has a lot of forces in the south, and even with their low competence levels, it's hard to believe they could miss a force large enough to destroy a circa 200 vehicle column without the Russians noticing at all.

As you say, reality will probably become clearer soon.

Yes, but I'm not as unsure about this as you are :D

It seems Russia is in some sort of operational pause right now.  It is trying to regroup, refitting some units where they are and rotating out others.  Given Russian traditions for how this is done, and what we've seen in this war so far, I do not doubt at all they had 200 vehicles in one general location at one time.  There's plenty of video of such things.

The problem for Russia is that this particular column is within artillery range of a front that has not shifted in over a week.  We know Ukraine has been holding back it's artillery for just such an opportunity, so all they have to do is get the intel on where a good target is and BAM.  Ukraine has been doing very well with intel on its own, but they also have NATO assets helping them out.

I feel this has a very good chance of being true.

Steve

[ah!  Haiduk seems to agree it's artillery too]

30 minutes ago, sburke said:

realize things have been hard for you.  Hope this photo is a sign your friends there are okay and able to post.

No, have not heard anything from friends since Mariupol lost power.  An AP photographer, Evgeniy Maloletka, is still getting some images out.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-europe-666be0a0cd62580b920452338e4c4de8

43 minutes ago, DesertFox said:

I guess we shall know by tomorrow, but if true this is a huge blow for the Iwans.

Alas, other sources say this is old news for 2nd of March (and to make a strike on column in 200 vehciles and to destroy 200 vehicles are differrent things). But why Mykolaiv's governor reposted it? This post appeared on his FB page hour ago. Let's see later...

Edited by Haiduk

4 hours ago, Lethaface said:

Before armies throw away all their mech heavy forces ;-), to this amateur it looks more like that Russia simply didn't bring the numbers required for their plan, while the plan imploded on itself for all the reasons that already passed in this thread.

Ukraine not only has the will to fight, but also the numbers (who knows how much troops they have deployed atm but probably quite a bit much more than Russian troops in Ukraine), depth and weapons to fight a defensive somewhat guerilla style war. 

While I have 0 doubt that Western intelligence is helping Ukraine (and supplied weapons surely help or can even make a difference), I feel that in this thread and beyond there is perhaps too much credit for Western help being THE reason for Ukrainian forces doing well.
Imo the main thing the Western support is doing is enabling Ukraine to continue the war and feel it's not without support. Ukraine is doing all the hard fighting themselves. The training / support since 2014 will of course have it's influence as well.

Anyway I think it's interesting to look at WW2 numbers compared to current. Many armies have moved to a smaller , professional (and often highly capable) and mainly mechanized force. But those are not invulnerable and won't be great for 'manning the frontline'. I think that Ukraine, with the TD and other units, are actually manning the 'frontline' (and perhaps sometimes allowing enemy forces to bypass) and have relative easy pickings when enemy columns are moving through their zone.

All in all I think it's clear Russia didn't brought enough troops to secure/control (let alone clear) the routes / corridors required to be controlled to allow for supply of their forces. While also suffering heavy casualties on forces in transit. The 'tip of the spear' units to me looked often more like 'forces in transit' and amounts to feeding forces into the jaws of destruction, piecemeal. 

So not sure how more insight the tactics of this war really bring, compared to running some scenario's in CMBS/CMSF2. Running a low motivated tank company in a column formation along a road vs ambushing infantry with decent ATGMs will usually end in bad times for the tank company.

PS Just back from playing a (very) lowlevel sundays football match and had some beers, so might not be my most coherent post lol.

Beer is proof that God loves us!

1 minute ago, Haiduk said:

Alas, other sources say this old news for 2nd of March (and to make a strike on column in 200 vehciles and to destoy 200 vehicles are differrent things). But why Mykolaiv's governor reposted it? This post appeared on his FB page hour ago. Let's see later...

Yeah thats why I said wait until tomorrow. Why would Mykolaivs governor post it, if not credible? 

10 minutes ago, akd said:

No, have not heard anything from friends since Mariupol lost power.  An AP photographer, Evgeniy Maloletka, is still getting some images out.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-europe-666be0a0cd62580b920452338e4c4de8

sorry to hear that.  Neighbor two houses over just got a friend's mother out of Odessa.  She just crossed the border into Poland today enroute to another friend's place in France.

19 minutes ago, Haiduk said:

Alas, other sources say this is old news for 2nd of March (and to make a strike on column in 200 vehciles and to destroy 200 vehicles are differrent things). But why Mykolaiv's governor reposted it? This post appeared on his FB page hour ago. Let's see later...

Dang.  Well, as I said in my previous post it is entirely plausible for Ukraine to have hit a column of this size and ruined it.  In fact, I think it is just a matter of when and not if something like this happens.  We're shifting into a new phase of the war and it's one that favors Ukraine.  Which is crazy, because it's been pretty favorable so far!

Steve

57 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

We're shifting into a new phase of the war and it's one that favors Ukraine.

Problem is that we don't truly know what condition UKR forces are in to engage in such a phase. Optimistically, I've thought that there must be some deployments going on in west of Ukraine preparing for a counter offensive (launched timely at the Kiev siege), but it's also why I keep insisting that UKR really need a couple of squadrons of aircraft to project a lethal threat, and in this exact case take advantage of the inevitable Russian operational pause to regroup and attack them while vulnerable.     

Edited by The Steppenwulf