How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

13 minutes ago, John Kettler said:

Has anyone here discovered, after visiting Ukrainian Twitter pages, say, that his/her computer slowed down dramatically? Have discovered that somehow a popunder got DLed that sends nuisance calls to Russia, or so the placard claims. In one instance, it showed almost 6000 calls had been made using my computer. The concept seems to be like the Project CSETI approach of shared computation, but here, it's shared annoying call generation. The popunder is full page and highly distinctive, with bold use of Ukraine's flag color. Have killed it several times, but I guess one or more of the Ukrainian Twitter sites has this thing on there just waiting for a visitor, whereupon it auto DLs and installs without notifying the computer owner. Have very good AV software on my rig, and this thing is going right through it with no alert whatsoever.

Regards,

John Kettler

If you're using Chrome, Firefox, or Edge, install the Ublock Origin browser extension, which blocks almost all ads.

Additionally, if you're using a windows machine, the built in Windows Security is almost certainly the very best antivirus and firewall suite available and its complete free. Third party AV suites generally interfere with the OS and, worse, come with their own sets of vulnerabilities.

Edited by Grey_Fox

15 minutes ago, John Kettler said:

Has anyone here discovered, after visiting Ukrainian Twitter pages, say, that his/her computer slowed down dramatically? Have discovered that somehow a popunder got DLed that sends nuisance calls to Russia, or so the placard claims. In one instance, it showed almost 6000 calls had been made using my computer. The concept seems to be like the Project CSETI approach of shared computation, but here, it's shared annoying call generation. The popunder is full page and highly distinctive, with bold use of Ukraine's flag color. Have killed it several times, but I guess one or more of the Ukrainian Twitter sites has this thing on there just waiting for a visitor, whereupon it auto DLs and installs without notifying the computer owner. Have very good AV software on my rig, and this thing is going right through it with no alert whatsoever.

Regards,

John Kettler

John,

This sounds like fake warnings using browser notifications or pop-ups.

If you are using Google Chrome you should check your site settings: chrome://settings/content 

image.thumb.png.babe1e837bd19f90a7425b2dc3679083.png

Especially the settings for Notifications and Pop-ups and redirects, make sure to block suspicious sites from both.

Other browsers will have similar options in their settings.

EDIT: The tips posted by Grey_Fox are also good advice 🙂

regards,

Pål

Edited by Panserjeger

7 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

We are not interested in Kremlin trolls and disinformation propagandists.  We are interested in talking about the way the world really is. 

You've had your one and only warning.  Permanent ban for your next violation, so think carefully before you post.

Steve

Hi Steve,

• I've been an active member on the forum since your company started and never been warned for anything. 'akd' asked me a question and I answered him. 
  • If something I've said or posted is not factually correct then please correct me rather than call me a 'disinformation propagandist'.
  • At the end of the day its your company m8 but I don't think calling people names eg. 'Kremlin troll' is really helpful.

One more confirmed shot down Su-25SM. The data and location unknown. Mismatching of spots is likely because repainting after changing a writing from "ВВС России" on lifetime photo to current "ВКС России" . Pilot is dead. 

Зображення

Edited by Haiduk

Grey_Fox and Panserjeger,

Am running Safari 13.1.2 on my iMac. Appreciate the tips.

10 minutes ago, Haiduk said:

Grill bars still don't help... Location unknown

Зображення

Haiduk,

Are there any other views of this destroyed tank? Is there any proof outside of this pic that a Javelin was used? Frankly, what I can see in this pic isn't enough to convince me as to what killed the tank. 

All,

Can't believe I'm finally current on this thread!

Regards,

John Kettler

1 hour ago, Haiduk said:

Somewhere on "northern direction" - next column hit on the road. T-72 with "O" marking is captured. Looks like in even hasn't ERA - T-72A? 

Last night they bagged another old T72 A at another place, but that one had at least ERA.

2 hours ago, kraze said:

Fact is - russians already used chemical weapons in Syria and there was zero reaction from anyone.

Yes, but Ukrainians are white, Christians, in Europe.  That makes you "one of us" and that absolutely enters into the equation when deciding what to do.

Before anybody thinks this is some sort of political statement, it is not.  It is something that is baked into our biology and many others on our planet.  Simply put, the more intelligent a species is, the more group identity takes on importance.  It is a survival instinct that is there for very good evolutionary reasons.  Culture, politics, geographical proximity, etc. onto this and it is even stronger.

Steve

Back to the videos...

Yes, all indicators are the Russians are very hesitant to attack the past 2 days.  Ukraine has reported about 1000 Russian deaths every day for most of the war so far, but yesterday it was about half that IIRC. 

One of the things that people keep asking about is "how many replacement tanks/vehicles does Russia have in inventory?".  What people are missing is this doesn't matter too much if all your tank crews are dead or seriously wounded.  Tank crews take a long time to train, so each one of these tanks we see utterly destroyed (assuming they weren't abandoned first) represents a permanent loss for Russia in this war.  It doesn't matter if there is 50 more tanks for every 1 lost sitting back in Russia if there's nobody to crew them.

Steve

28 minutes ago, John Kettler said:

Are there any other views of this destroyed tank? Is there any proof outside of this pic that a Javelin was used? Frankly, what I can see in this pic isn't enough to convince me as to what killed the tank. 

Alas, no, but I have posted recently a video with roundwalk of the same destroyed tank with "grill" on the top. This one obviously was hit in side hull or close to engine compartment.

Edited by Haiduk

Even if the tank is killed by literally anything else but Javelin, especially RPG7 - that makes the cope cage make even less sense because you essentially make it a huge target loudly announcing its presence - so at least it should make an ATGM crew laugh uncontrollably, messing with the guiding.

12 minutes ago, DesertFox said:

This one is interesting. Huge arrays of ERA missing,

Maybe an example of that russian paper might - I mean sending in T72B from early '80s when on paper you have thousands of more modern variants already leads to questions - but maybe the corruption in their army is so hardcore - that some tanks were outfitted with ERA only on paper as well.

Add to that the testimony of that pilot, who said that on paper their squadron has 24 planes but in reality it's only 15 - and the real picture may be just that

Edited by kraze

@Vic4

I, think, regarding to your question about animus between Russians and Ukrainians, this will be interesting for you. I found this remark about the difference in "war myth-creating" propaganda in Russia and Uktraine in someone twitter and translated it. I think you and other now will be understand better the difference in our mentality, though this is only one part of this difference. I can say this mockery of the enemy and great sense of humor greatly helped us during Maidan and in 2014.

In general, have you noticed the difference between us and the enemy in propaganda? Their myth-making is absolutely Soviet. Then someone there covered the commander with his body and stopped the RPG shot. Then someone heroically shot down 10 helicopters with one shot. Then again at the cost of his life he saved something there, layed down on bunker ambrazure and that's it.

And what ours? Gypsies stole a tank. A woman shot down a drone with a jar of cucumbers. Buryats sit and learn the word "palyanytsia" [this is like Byblical "shibollet" - native Russians mostly can't say this word correctly and this is one of the means to uncover diversants, for example]. Someone crap into a Russian tank. Do you feel? This is a purely Cossack mockery of the enemy, something deep, popular, like in the fairy-tales, when the enemy is not only defeated, but also ridiculed. These are all photos of our soldiers with cigars in their teeth, with swords ... that's it! This is a pure picture of Repin about a letter to the Turkish sultan! The pure story of Zmiinyi Island - not just do not give up, but also to show own audacity, ridicule death, humiliate the enemy even before own death! This is the difference between armies, the difference in mentality, the success of our soldiers and it's incredible!

Edited by Haiduk

1 hour ago, John Kettler said:

Maybe v1 has not had a 100% success rate, but v2 looks promising.

1574838776_WhatsAppImage2022-03-10at13_03_47.thumb.jpeg.387c150822e70d0ddf64cdbd29cc17f9.jpeg

I have been staying out of the conversation about the war.

But have been watching the thread daily since this is somewhat my best news source.

but I do want to point out (who would have thought CMBS AI was playing the Russians more realistically than we ever thought)

A nice group packed way too close together, the Russians seem to keep doing it, each day they don't seem to learn from the last.

AjKZNwG.png

Are Russians only fighting inside vehicles stuck in highways ? I haven't seen any foot soldier action inside towns and cities. If I was playing a CM battles and was facing a myriad of very capable AT weapons I would use a heavy infantry force to counter that. Seems they have only limited special forces and conscript infantry with no clue how to fight in cities. 

Also, are Kadyrov's men still fighting around Kiev or after the initial losses they have withdrawn. Haven't seen any reports on that. 

Edited by panzermartin

19 minutes ago, panzermartin said:

Also, are Kadyrov's men still fighting around Kiev or after the initial losses they have withdrawn. Haven't seen any reports on that. 

Nah. They were over as fast as they began.

Nobody here gets what's such a big deal about them. Russians seem to think that if they are scared of kadyrov's soldiers so much - then everybody else is. Not the first time they are projecting.

Sure, that human filth is extremely violent and sadistic, but only versus unarmed people. Then in the very first battle against an actual army they suffer such huge casualties down to losing a general, who is also kadyrov's bff - that you stopped hearing about them joining battles completely.

Remnants of those will most likely be used by russians to torture and murder people somewhere and commit various warcrimes that are too hardcore even for other russians, but as a combat force they are effectively done for.