Current drawbacks of CM4.0

1. No Replay function for Real-Time

This one is not so important but can be still useful, especially for the new players who are more willing to play in Real-Time to have a review.

2.Useless Peek Function

A. The speed of peek is way too slow, i don't know what' wrong with the solider, they have to prone on the ground, move very very slowly to the corner.

B. the peek function only is operating when behind a House, not a wall. Interestingly, most of the time, there are lots of walls block your view and you need peek function to scout.

C. Peek is stupid in CM, a solider will be pinned to death if he is peeking, how?

3.Administration command is still stupid

Combine Command indeed plays its role, however..............

A. A battle often causes lots of sections heavy casualties, some time the player needs to control even more then 6 units contained 6 solider to attack, it's a meaningless stress on the player. it should be able to combine these sections together!

B. If i have a 13 men Marine Squad, then i sent a Scout team. if they are dead, this 9 men squad can not be divided forever, no way.

C. The squad-A and squad-B always automatically combine when i don't want to.

Sometimes, there is only a small house for shooting and covering,  i wat to command a squad to fire at two different positions so i divided them, but after a while, they combine automatically. WTF?

D. The squad-A and squad-B never automatically combine when i want to.

Some time i divided a 13 mean squad into three teams

guess what, sometimes only the Squad-A and Squad-B can combine together, Squad-C? never, i don't get it, no matter how long they spend, where are they, Squad-AB can not combine with C

sometimes they can, sometimes they can't

WTFK what hell

I get more confused

4.Ammo Sharing  is stupid

Cm does not provide Ammo box in most of the battles, and some times we do not have vehicle which contains ammo

In the half of the battle, lots of squads are already running out of their ammo so they have to be close to another squad to gain ammo.

Which means, a bunch of people have to be moved together, stupid, vulnerable to the damage.

But players have to, in some scenarios, the players have to take care of a large field with limited ammo and men

We should be able to use acquire to other squad without staying together as it's very very foolish

59 minutes ago, AnnRayTac15 said:

they have to prone on the ground

Standard drill to make the smallest target in house fighting. Obvious you don't understand it.

1 hour ago, AnnRayTac15 said:

Administration command is still stupid

Easy to control a battalion with split units down to squad level. Yes with formations this size you need to play WeGo. 

These are excellent points that arent brought up often around here. I think they should recieve some attention, probably for CMx3. 

The only point I think is not as good as the others is point #1. It would be nice to have a rewind feature but I think that's something we wont see. I would much rather have something like the ability to combine our PBEM turns into one continuous battle 

1 minute ago, Bud Backer said:

Given time they will recombine. 

I understood he wants to keep them separated

8 hours ago, AnnRayTac15 said:

The squad-A and squad-B always automatically combine when i don't want to.

Even if they are still combined a squad occupies often 2 or more action squares. 

9 hours ago, Artkin said:

These are excellent points that arent brought up often around here. I think they should recieve some attention, probably for CMx3. 

The only point I think is not as good as the others is point #1. It would be nice to have a rewind feature but I think that's something we wont see. I would much rather have something like the ability to combine our PBEM turns into one continuous battle 

I don't miss replay in real-time, but I sure miss replay (the VCR controls) in WEGO TCP/IP. We used to have that in CMx2 and it was great fun.

The peeking feature is weird. So far its only ever been a pain since the guy peeking doesn't have the firepower to actually control the road and draws incoming fire/attention. For example, you have a squad in cover/concealment from a BMP-3 while waiting for a Javelin to get in position to smoke it. While waiting G.I. Joe crawls to the corner and attracts a burst of autocannon fire (or worse a 100mm) and you have a mass casualty event on your hands.

The type of single soldier peeking is something that requires a lot of intelligence from the guy doing it to be beneficial and CM doesn't have that sort of capability.

It can be more easier by a command, another combine command, you know?

Although Steve said "no more micro" everyday, the truth is, more and more micro are required.

Prone on the ground doesn't make a target smallest in the house fighting, at least in the house fighting the enemies can still scout him at the first time

and they don't know how to peek indeed, if i were that solider, i will choose to exposure my part of eyes to observe the enemy, not prone on the ground to wait the enemy pinned down me.

22 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

Not if you give them separate orders combined with a pause command. 

It can be more easier by a command, another combine command, you know?

Although Steve said "no more micro" everyday, the truth is, more and more micro are required

22 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

Standard drill to make the smallest target in house fighting. Obvious you don't understand it.

Easy to control a battalion with split units down to squad level. Yes with formations this size you need to play WeGo. 

Prone on the ground doesn't make a target smallest in the house fighting, at least in the house fighting the enemies can still scout him at the first time

and they don't know how to peek indeed, if i were that solider, i will choose to exposure my part of eyes to observe the enemy, not prone on the ground to wait the enemy pinned down me

3 minutes ago, AnnRayTac15 said:

Prone on the ground doesn't make a target smallest in the house fighting

That is infantry drill and it is documented. For the very good reason instinctively the enemy peeks at eye level. CM models this very nicely, only one scout looks and because he is prone won't be spotted. Test and try it please.

verkenner.jpg

I always had mixed feelings about that peeking feature. One of my favorite tactics before 4.0 was sticking squads behind buildings to hide them. Then when enemy troops move into the building from the other side, my squad will open fire through the opposite doors and windows. When they automatically move to the corners to peek around though, it gives their position away.

On the other hand, the peeking feature can be cool sometimes. I've seen cool firefights from guys peeking around corners and cool RPG ambushes and whatnot. I think the soldier posted at the corner is supposed to get a cover bonus too, to represent that hes not supposed to just be lying there in the open like it appears in the game.

I just wish there was a way to toggle that on and off. Sometimes it's good, and sometimes you really dont want a guy to just be hanging out there on the corner all day. I wish you could tell a squad to peek around a corner quickly and then pull the guy backward again.

7 hours ago, Bozowans said:

I think the soldier posted at the corner is supposed to get a cover bonus too,

I think the AI automatically puts them in the centre of the square which is 8X8 meters which makes it 64m². He covers maybe 2m², if they use mathematics the odds will be 3% that he gets spotted. If he is prone could be even zilch. 

It should be noted that 'peeking' wasn't originally in the game. It was included due to loud player demands. If I recall the complaints correctly, "I place my men behind a house and they're blind, nobody is placed at the corners to act as eyes for the squad!" Unlike you, the pixeltruppen on the map do not have the benefit of a god's eye view looking down on the battle from above,

3 'administration command' sounds like the player is complaining about having to play the game. Gameplay is as easy or as difficult as you make it, yourself. I recall posters talking about spending hours carefully plotting out a turn move. My response was 'REALLY?' It was Eisenhower (paraphrasing Molke) who said 'No plan survives contact with the enemy.'

Oh, I just found this nifty Dada-esque quote from Eisenhower:
"In preparing for battle, I have found that plans are useless but planning is indespensible."

4 minutes ago, AnnRayTac15 said:

stay inside the house to scout is a better idea........ current peek is really useless

A saffy players picks the key buildings and recon with fire them. You can't camouflage a building or KT. Explain your definition of scouting. 

Edited by chuckdyke

The largest single problem with the CM games is one entirely typical to wargaming in general-broken scoring and context mechanics creating ridiculous situations and then penalizing the player for making reasonable decisions. Chief of which is low or basically zero penalty for own-force casualties and excessive value placed on terrain or flavor text captures. Phase lines are about the only reasonable system in the game for doing this. Requiring the player to put his force on a 100x100m capture demonstrates a shockingly limited knowledge and experience of war and what things actually matter at the given level of play. 

I basically have zero interest in playing against AI or computer opponents anymore because the need for work arounds toward the AI's limitations and passive conduct requires the scenario to be designed for those problems. So I just extract the campaign files, hotseat, and use cards from a game like Memoir 44 to contextualize or abstract the opponent's overall actions which I then execute or interpret as if I was the commander of the opposing side. Preferring that much to "you didn't capture Houfallize in time -50 points to Gryffindor"