Heart of the Dying Sun - WIP

7 hours ago, Falaise said:

They were not destroyed there, but gathered in this field after the fighting !

That's indeed very likely, because the commanding officier would probably have been hanged for treason, if this was the actual position during the battle. 😀

Edited by Aragorn2002

• 2 weeks later...

Progress been painfully slow past while due to RL stuff. Still getting there albeit rate of terraforming is equivalent to that post last ice age...

Overview of progress - the top RHS is all that was left to be done. But a lot of that is the outskirts of Tluszcz... so may take a while.

MHxURCd.png

This is the bit been working on.

vAluxmy.png

View along the Soviet AOA - follow the road into Jasienica.

a40zyY8.png

t3GIOE5.png

Other attacks went to the right of this and into Tluszcz.

So this is all that is left to do now. Again still the centre top and top right. Then damage then flavour objects, though I may go light on flavour objects on this one! Key objects would be telegraph/phone poles/lines.

wmSrc2g.png

Edited by George MC

6 hours ago, George MC said:

View along the Soviet AOA - follow the road into Jasienica.

a40zyY8.png

Other attacks went to the right of this and into Tluszcz.

So this is all that is left to do now. Again still the centre top and top right. Then damage then flavour objects, though I may go light on flavour objects on this one! Key objects would be telegraph/phone poles/lines.

wmSrc2g.png

+1.  Very Cool.  

Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated. No pressure though! ;)

So a farming/field rabbit hole....

Thanks to my CM field creation activity in the editor, I was intrigued re the shapes of the field systems I was seeing on the aerial images. Minded me a wee bit of runrig field and croft field systems used in Scotland (you can still see geophys echoes of the former in the Highlands).

Long story short - yup similar history and development and resultant outcomes for the population.

http://sites.rootsweb.com/~pollubel/rural/farmlife.htm

Edited by George MC

• 2 weeks later...

Wee update.

Been working away on the E/NE corner - that expanse of brown. You can see field outlines sketched out.

A7KvUTQ.png

And being filled in.

n3iMOVV.png

Most filled in - woods and fields. The bit of brown now left is where the outskirts of Tluszcz will go. What this does not show is a significant re-org with elevations. i screwed up one key elevation so had to go back and re-do then amend related elevations - this was linked to my elevated rail tracks and water courses. Still did not take long. 

ZC5mb4R.png

Close up of more terrain as I slowly approach the vicinity of Tluszcz.

lYbOFvp.png

Not much left to fill. Pretty much only Tluszcz to add - that'll take a wee while to do. Then got lots of detailing stuff to do... like laying circa 20km plus of telephone poles...

VYh16wQ.png

The pristine view south from Tluszcz before the housing developments begin.  Must be the same useless planning nuggets we have at the Cairngorm National Park allowing development into green space sites... ;) 

Errmm... I digress...

31HPkiY.png

Edited by George MC

7 hours ago, Glubokii Boy said:

I have no doubt what so ever that this map and any future scenario/campaign that might come with it will be a true work of art... as usual.

Thoroughly impressed ! 👍

Thank you! Yeah I’ve just got to work out then how this action will work in CM. But that’s a ways yet. In RL it was a rather intense back and forward affair fir a few hours so it promises a lot!

15 hours ago, Codreanu said:

Wow, beautiful work, it's so easy to just open one of those pictures taken from the ground level in fullscreen and feel like you're looking at a real place because, well, you pretty much are!

Cheers ta! I’ll take more ground level shots. Interesting comparing the 1944 aerial images with Google earth now. Way more houses but absolutely heaps more trees and woods.

Back in 44 this area was more open terrain - being an extensive patchwork of fields. 

Edited by George MC