Heart of the Dying Sun - WIP

The urban sprawl of Tluszcz has err... sprawled! Well the outskirts at least. Interestingly there are significant differences between the period Polish 1;25,000 map and the aerial images of the buildings from May 1944.

First overview of the map. Its 4km wide by 3km deep.

MVxR2Ec.jpg

The outskirts of Tluszcz (below). In the actual action a small force of Soviet tanks and infantry broke through into the town and seized the railway station and NE outskirts. But out of scope for what I'm doing here for now though.

Keep in mind an understrength panzergrenadier battalion pretty much held this whole sector, with some armour support... The bottom left hand side is the boundary between Wiking to the NE and Totenkopf to the SW.

g9Dm8HC.png

Looking south west along along the main drag.

YDyvCve.png

Looking from the NE corner of Tluszcz to the SW.

8RYaHfy.png

Now onto telephone poles...

44 minutes ago, George MC said:

The urban sprawl of Tluszcz has err... sprawled! Well the outskirts at least. Interestingly there are significant differences between the period Polish 1;25,000 map and the aerial images of the buildings from May 1944.

First overview of the map. Its 4km wide by 3km deep.

MVxR2Ec.jpg

I don't think i have ever seen anything simular in CM before...Holy smokes ! 😊

8 hours ago, Lille Fiskerby said:

Ok, now hang in there 😀 

Well not as bad as I feared initially. Main routes done. Sanity (or what passes for it) retained.

iqyIyUd.png

2YTHRiy.png

opyY3p5.png

rLUCKiS.png

Cloning flavour objects tool is defo a plus for this. I shudder to think how long this would have took prior...

Yes...

The map looks great btw. I actually seriously considered trying my hand at CM campaign design after F and R was out. I regularly make scenarios for WinSPWW2, including recently a Russian campaign set in the fairly unique Arctic theater. It would end with an amphibious assault across the Norwegian border by OSNAZ forces. Imagine my dismay when only the Germans got their amphibious vehicles with not a DUKW in sight... so for now that idea is shelved.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2022 at 8:17 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

PS - Still can't get over the 2D editor image at the top of the screen.....Stuff of nightmares that is!  :o

It's quite something...very cool !

I wounder how the farmers felt about the layout of those fields ? It doesn't really look the most effective use of that peace of relastate 😉..

6 minutes ago, Glubokii Boy said:

I wounder how the farmers felt about the layout of those fields ? It doesn't really look the most effective use of that peace of relastate 😉..

@George MC linked to an article that discusses it in some detail:

On 11/27/2021 at 9:56 PM, George MC said:

Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated. No pressure though! ;)

So a farming/field rabbit hole....

Thanks to my CM field creation activity in the editor, I was intrigued re the shapes of the field systems I was seeing on the aerial images. Minded me a wee bit of runrig field and croft field systems used in Scotland (you can still see geophys echoes of the former in the Highlands).

Long story short - yup similar history and development and resultant outcomes for the population.

http://sites.rootsweb.com/~pollubel/rural/farmlife.htm

It's a surprisingly interesting read.  B)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

31 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

@George MC linked to an article that discusses it in some detail:

It's a surprisingly interesting read.  B)

Yeah I might have done the article as disservice and you are right, it is an interesting read.

Who knew Combat Mission: Farms and Roads would be a winner!

9 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I still want to know if @George MC is going to do the Russian Liberation of Scotland (for CM:BS), as suggested by our good friend @Bufo in this thread:

Ha! Ha! Sorry missed this. Very kind. But...

No. :)

Frankly its hard enough with the current set-up never mind Putain* making an appearance...

*Miss spell deliberate...

I'm now respectfully bowing out of a politics discussion. I do that on my twitter feed! ;) 

Cheery!

• 1 month later...

Beena while... Apologies been my busy time of year with work. I've been noodling away mainly adding battle damage, which is a slow process. Some screenies - I'm using heavy haze as the condition backdrop. In this action the Soviets had just fired a massive barrage, so reckoned with the dry weather you'd have heaps of dust etc. See how this pans out when it comes to adding units for LOS etc.

So first up view NW to Jasienica

gCGhnIU.png

View bit more west.

Z6fM8ct.png

Battle damage in Tluszcz

bmribOC.png

Battle damage in Jasienica

yoCAZSn.png