Region Germany not available in 1944?

Write your desired Mod Tag in a Notepad file:

[germany]

Open the Editor. In the first tab (Mission, IIRC), there is a button for Mod Tags. Click that, select your Mod Tag. Open game, they should now be active.

You can add any Mod Tags you like to the Notepad file, just make sure each is on its own line.

I keep an extra folder for the various Mod Tags, so I can grab them as needed.

1 hour ago, benpark said:

Write your desired Mod Tag in a Notepad file:

[germany]

Open the Editor. In the first tab (Mission, IIRC), there is a button for Mod Tags. Click that, select your Mod Tag. Open game, they should now be active.

You can add any Mod Tags you like to the Notepad file, just make sure each is on its own line.

I keep an extra folder for the various Mod Tags, so I can grab them as needed.

Thank you, Benpark!

Apart from autumn and germany for which subjects can mod tags also be made? What if I want leafless trees in October for example? Is that possible?

Edited by Aragorn2002

2 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Apart from autumn and germany for which subjects can mod tags also be made? What if I want leafless trees in October for example? Is that possible?

I can't think why not -- but the game won't reflect that visual when doing LOS and LOF calcs. It will still act as if the tree has leaves.

On 4/25/2021 at 4:15 PM, Aragorn2002 said:

That's okay. Well, I would say East Prussia is definitely Germany. Same architecture, especially in the larger towns and cities. Protestant churches like the Immanuel Kirche in Schirwindt, typical German official buildings and so on. A fast google on East Prussian towns like Goldap, Gumbinnen and Königsberg will confirm that.

Conquered by the Deutsch Ritter Orden in the 13th Century, if I recall correctly.

”Same architecture” is a big word. The architecture differs quite much between north and south especially. E.g., you see those reddish-brown brick buildings only in northern Germany.

18 hours ago, Pelican Pal said:

I can't think why not -- but the game won't reflect that visual when doing LOS and LOF calcs. It will still act as if the tree has leaves.

To be honest I don't care too much about such details, although I can understand it's important for other people.

But how can it be done?

31 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

To be honest I don't care too much about such details,

I agree the issue is generic, it is very much a roll of the dice, or you get spotted or not. In winter, the program may calculate differently than in summertime.  

12 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

I agree the issue is generic, it is very much a roll of the dice, or you get spotted or not. In winter, the program may calculate differently than in summertime.  

Yeah. And apart from that it usually ends in a massacre, so why bother? 😀

19 hours ago, Pelican Pal said:

Apart from autumn and germany for which subjects can mod tags also be made?

Anything can have a Mod Tag applied, really - make up your own, even. It just tells the game Engine to load that Mod Tagged, modified element, rather than the stock one.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 7:43 PM, MikeyD said:

Germany is available. Its right there in the region menu.

... in 1945....... 

My point was the only master maps that are German are deep in the territory. Even if the soviets crossed the border before 1945, it has no place in the game 

Edited by Artkin

On 4/29/2021 at 6:28 PM, Artkin said:

I plotted all the master maps for F&R and only like 3 were in Germany. Havel Bridge, Berlin, and Reitwein. The others were mostly Hungary and then Poland/Ukraine.....

Perhaps this is why Germany is not available.

Wrong.

Batzlow, Aarnswalde, Naugard, Marzdorf.

That's seven maps set in Germany.

Not sure how you used the German names to look up the locations (now with Polish names) - They are now in Poland. They were in Germany during the game's time-frame. They are maps set in Germany during that time-frame. No politics in that, if it was set i the 1980's the Polish names would be used. 

4 hours ago, benpark said:

Not sure how you used the German names to look up the locations (now with Polish names) - They are now in Poland. They were in Germany during the game's time-frame. They are maps set in Germany during that time-frame. No politics in that, if it was set i the 1980's the Polish names would be used. 

I get it. I figured that was apparent with my last post. I guess I have to spell it out. 

So dividing territory after ww2 ended isn't politics. Hm. News to me. 

Edited by Artkin

Negative,

the way it was named was fine. And it is how it should be.

I just used google maps to locate all of the territories so I was able to have a better feel for the module. Hence why I thought the maps were Polish... with extremely German names.

17 hours ago, benpark said:

Google Earth often recognizes old place names, although it is by no means universal and sometimes, as I am sure you know, you have to do a bit of map/imagery comparison.  The other method is to punch the place name into a bog standard search engine and it will pull up a Wikipedia article with the current name and the previous names will be sat there and you'll also often get a geocoord.

I found genealogical websites had helpful lists of name conversions, when a place was particularly difficult to locate.

The real problem we need solved is why crucial map pages always seem to be missing from archives, when every one surrounding is easily found.

• 7 months later...

To continue this. I made a map situated in Eastern Europe in October 1944. I want to change the buildings from Eastern Europe into Germany, for which I use a tag (named Germany). But those buildings that now have changed from Eastern Europe into Germany seem to have snowy roofs, although there's no snow on the ground and the temperature is not freezing. Those buildings that have not changed from Eastern Europe into Germany do not have snowy roofs.

Is that something that can be solved with a tag perhaps?

27 minutes ago, Commanderski said:

Could be you have snow mods in the same folder. like Stalingrad for instance. Had that happen to me before.

Good suggestion, Commanderski, thank you. In this case though it seems to have been a loading issue. After restarting the game the problem was gone.