Combat Mission of my dreams

When I think about the Combat Mission of my dreams, I imagine...

MBTs, assault rifles, ATGMs, APCs and IFVs, something with all-out-war but without:

- thermal vision

- top-down attack missiles

- precision guided munitions

- airburst ammunition

- UAVs

Can you think about a good timeframe for it?

IIRC back when CM:SF1 was still played by people there were several Red on Red scenarios and I think a campaign.  One was set in a fictional African country and it fits your request almost perfectly.

I don't know if its still around anymore but if you search in either the CM:SF1 or CM:SF2 repositories you may be able to find several of them. If you are into multiplayer you could also play CM:SF2 with some custom rules in Red V Red to achieve this also.

11 hours ago, Bufo said:

MBTs, assault rifles, ATGMs, APCs and IFVs, something with all-out-war but without:

- thermal vision

- airburst ammunition

- UAVs

Eww !..I guess you like Post WWII CM...Who are you, and what have you done with MoFo ^_^

Edited by JoMc67

Javelin first entered service in 1996, apparently.

The overfly-attack TOW 2B came online 9 years before that.

Thermal imaging, when did that come online? With the M1Abrams or before? (quickly reading Wikipedia...) Well, maybe a couple years before with the M60A1 RISE (passive) tank upgrade, about 1977.

What else do you have on your list? Air burst munitions is a tricky one. Early artillery was actually doing airburst fuses before they had perfected reliable contact fuses (remember the Star Spangled Banner line about 'bombs bursting in air'). There's no way to avoid air bursts. Radar VT proximity fuses showed up in late WWII.

Instead of changing dates you could instead change belligerents. Egypt vs Libya war in 1977 probably lacked fancy gizmos, but that war lasted only 4 days. There's the 1971 India Pakistan war that gave birth to the nation of Bangladesh.

15 hours ago, Bufo said:

- thermal vision

- airburst ammunition

- UAVs

Shock Force 2, with conditions. Play as the Canadians, and when purchasing, set their equipment to poor. This will give them the base Leopard 2C tank, equipped with very early thermal vision. In a completely ridiculous test, 12 Leopard 2C tanks against 12 T72M1 Turms-T tanks on a flat map, at 2000 meters apart, after just one turn there were 11 dead Leopards and 12 dead T72's. Pretty balanced. The Canadians also do not have any top down attack missiles when purchased with poor equipment. 

As for the rest, most of what you describe can be edited out, not purchased or simply not used by you when you play. You don't HAVE to purchase a UAV, or use precision munitions when calling in off map assets. You can also set the battlefield conditions to limit the effectiveness of the thermal sights; fight during the middle of the day and under extreme heat. 

While not your dream CM setting, it is as close as you can get with what is currently available.

6 hours ago, MikeyD said:

What else do you have on your list? Air burst munitions is a tricky one. Early artillery was actually doing airburst fuses before they had perfected reliable contact fuses (remember the Star Spangled Banner line about 'bombs bursting in air'). There's no way to avoid air bursts. Radar VT proximity fuses showed up in late WWII.

Yes this is right, let the artillery be an exemption of it. Vehicles and infantry weapons shouldn't have.

16 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Thermal imaging, when did that come online? With the M1Abrams or before? (quickly reading Wikipedia...) Well, maybe a couple years before with the M60A1 RISE (passive) tank upgrade, about 1977.

Apparently the RISE thermal imager was superior to the model fitted to the M1.

• 2 weeks later...

One engine. All theatres and conflicts from 1930 onwards. Specific conflict packages contracted out/licensed to other creators where BF isn't interested or is too stretched already, but BF retains full control of the engine.

Also an editor supporting copy-and-paste-able, rotatable, exportable and generally reusable maps and map segments.

Edited by Holdit

37 minutes ago, Bufo said:

Yeah also one engine would be nice. I wonder how a WW2 battalion would hold up against a more modern company 🙂

Not long, I suspect. But I was thinking more in terms of ease of management of versions, patching and map reusability. :)

2 minutes ago, Holdit said:

Not long, I suspect. But I was thinking more in terms of ease of management of versions, patching and map reusability. :)

Yes, there is also that for sure, would be much more better but thats obvious.

I like blue vs blue  red vs red, but in a way that you can use vehicles in both sides blue can have Sov TOE and Red can have US TOE, with is a mix of ww2 Sov US and Europe weapons, until I will say in the 2000, a big Editor, with this you can created all what you want every countries could be recreated ...and my dream and your(s) could be realizing an created, Panama, Falkland Afrika, Fulda Iran Irak or Arab Yougoslavia, Israely  war, (I know I reapead me again and again)... imagine...crossing the Suez Chanel...ok for this BF have also to created canon water, so this will not be available...with an acceptable TOE, almost all vehicles and weapons are already in CM series WW2 and CMSF2, CMBS is already there with futur modules to take part of the futurs moderns conflcts, let me dream ...Sigh !

Edited by 3j2m7