THE PANDEMIC CHAT ROOM

Erwin

With time on everyone's hands - just a reminder there is a lot of free reading material at this site:

https://www.armyupress.army.mil/

Have not visited in a while and site looks to have been redesigned.

PS: Looks like if the US shut down down travel from Europe earlier - like was done from China - a whole lot of trouble could have been avoided. Freakin bug came in the back door (JFK and Logan) while everyone was looking across the Pacific and claiming the travel policy toward China was racist.  

Before this thread gets any more out of hand than it already has.....Let's leave the politics and consirracy theories for a different forum. And maybe keep this thread more devoted to what we're watching while social distancing and the condition of our livers. OK?

58 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Yes, as usual nice speech.  If only he had been President and actually been able to do something.

He did what the Republicans allowed and his team did a handover to the new team...

But of course no one could predict this was going to happen. This lie is being told in the UK to avoid responsibility for lack of preparation. Tier one threat....

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/04/11/america-two-decade-failure-prepare-coronavirus-179574

"Meanwhile, an Obama-era improvement plan crafted post-H1N1 offered suggestions that were batted back by the Republican-led Congress — for instance, investing in the nation’s hospital preparedness program, which has undergone years of winnowing by congressional appropriators, and ensuring a sufficient supply of ventilators and masks in the stockpile, another problem that’s haunted the response to Covid-19."

South Korea had a plan and learnt lessons. The US and UK have failed to prepare. 

On 4/12/2020 at 11:49 PM, John Kettler said:

Apparently, the US intercepted Chinese communication regarding CV fatalities--at least 20.9 MILLION for period of December 2019 to March 2020 as detailed in a classified report to President Trump. The Chinese officially reported a microscopic 3300!

https://web.archive.org/web/20200406190917/https://n5ti.com/health/1233/

Regards,

John Kettler

this is total BS.. if it was true you wouldnt be hearing 'news' on the way back machine.

John just because its on the internet doesnt mean its true. Yes I know about the 21 cell phone accounts. That doesnt mean 21 dead by the most eextreme metric, the cell phones dropped were favored by the poorest and migrants and college kids and had to be 'recharged' -they would have went offline in a lockdown in Hubei Prov anyway.

I dunno about the link info.  But, based on how crowded together many Chinese live, the third world conditions of most and the lamentable state of their healthcare system, it's highly likely that the Chinese have way more casualties than their tightly controlled state-controlled media says.  We'll find out eventually...

9 hours ago, Sublime said:

this is total BS.. if it was true you wouldnt be hearing 'news' on the way back machine.

John just because its on the internet doesnt mean its true. Yes I know about the 21 cell phone accounts. That doesnt mean 21 dead by the most eextreme metric, the cell phones dropped were favored by the poorest and migrants and college kids and had to be 'recharged' -they would have went offline in a lockdown in Hubei Prov anyway.

It was Kettler ' tiresome way of trying to hide / bypass directly linking to his conspiracy source. Most of it was a rehash of an earlier rebunked posting earlier in the thread - which BFC have repeatedly warned him of posting.

n5ti.com copied the story from rapidgist.com

RAPIDGIST is the Most Trusted Passive Online Money Website in Nigeria...

9 hours ago, Erwin said:

I dunno about the link info.  But, based on how crowded together many Chinese live, the third world conditions of most and the lamentable state of their healthcare system, it's highly likely that the Chinese have way more casualties than their tightly controlled state-controlled media says.  We'll find out eventually...

Hmmm,

While I in no way think the Chinese Govt always tell the truth (lets face it do many Govts tell the truth) I do think they enforced a lock down very tightly and that could account for the lower reported deaths.

I think in the days and months to come those figures will get more examination.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-52223193

The Iranian figures are looking doubtful and even in Germany there is  some indication that Covid deaths are being reported as the underlying health issue rather than Covid that just pushed the person over.

Conversely in the UK there seems to be a push to report people as dying from Covid rather than other causes so our true death rates of Covid are being over egged.

In the UK it can take up to two weeks (and at times a lot longer) to get a death reported. This is something I went through with my Dad's death at the end of December where the Doctor messed up with the Certificate and had to be chased by the Registrar to get it sorted. You would think the process is automated but it has lots of checks and balances implemented after Dr Shipman went on the rampage and hid his mass murder...

So comparing the deaths between countries is always going to be fraught.

At least with the UK we can have some confidence once the ONS figures get updated and then use that to help hold the Govt accountable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/52282844

Trying to hold some other Govts accountable is a lot harder.

4 minutes ago, Holien said:

You would think the process is automated but it has lots of checks and balances implemented after Dr Shipman went on the rampage and hid his mass murder...

IIRC They've temporarily dropped the requirement for two docs for the death certificate during the outbreak.

But there's a delay as the doc to do the DC would need to be one who had worked with the patient, and if they go off shift then it can't be done till they return etc.

Plus there's crem forms to be completed (a doc (usually a junior doc) needs to check through medical records that there's no implants (artifical joints/ pacemakers)  that could be dangerous if the person was cremated and so would need removing beforehand) Something you pay for with funeral costs. This went up x2 after the Shipman Inquiry recommendations were implemented and used to be in the 90s about £75 - quite a perk for care of elderly docs.

17 minutes ago, Holien said:

Conversely in the UK there seems to be a push to report people as dying from Covid rather than other causes so our true death rates of Covid are being over egged.

Don't forget UK figures aren't including people dying of Corvid-19 in care homes or the community as they're not being tested (only hospital admitted patients).

3 hours ago, Wicky said:

It was Kettler ' tiresome way of trying to hide / bypass directly linking to his conspiracy source. Most of it was a rehash of an earlier rebunked posting earlier in the thread - which BFC have repeatedly warned him of posting.

oh I looked into it. I didnt feel like even doing the work you did of explaining,

as far as Im concerned any evidence  from kettler about current events THAT USES THE FCKN WAY BACK MACHINE...

On 4/13/2020 at 2:03 PM, Erwin said:

Yes, as usual nice speech.  If only he had been President and actually been able to do something.

Like nominate a Supreme Court justice?  Oh yeah small problem eh?  Perhaps a course in the separation of powers and what the limitations were for previous presidents who didn’t have Total Authority like our current Emperor. 

Edited by sburke

Hmmm I see some of the American public are not impressed with the measures to help stop the spread of the virus....

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/lock-her-anti-whitmer-coronavirus-lockdown-protestors-swarm-michigan-capitol-n1184426

It is certainly a  different approach, I saw clips of folk travelling to church and meeting large groups of worshippers.

It does not look like America is implementing a similar approach to the Chinese? 

Then people wonder why the death rate figures for the Chinese are less?

On 4/13/2020 at 11:03 PM, Erwin said:

Like say pass an executive order....

Here in the third world we still haven't seen a significant increase in reported deaths. Just 34 deaths and 2506 cases. While those numbers are to be taken with a grain of salt  it does give credence to the possibility something else is at play here.

Edited by AlanSA

Anyone notice the reporter's question yesterday in the WH briefing re Covid-19 starting as a Chinese Bio research virus that escaped?

Well... Trump did say Covid-19 was "genius" and "brilliant".

Just received this via e-mail:

Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2020 9:26 AM
To: All my Fans
Subject:
An Appeal for Understanding

While it is appreciated that President Trump regularly acknowledges that I am “brilliant” and “genius” I must protest the way that I am depicted by this appalling President who regularly uses the media to demean me in the worst openly racist terms. 

As a refugee from persecution in China I escaped custody and immigrated to the US because of what I thought was its open-minded attitude towards those who travel long distances to reach freedom.

Yes, bringing significantly different customs and values to this wonderful country may bring short-term disruption.  But, it is commonly recognized that new cultures enrich a society and perhaps after a few initial challenges bring great benefits.  Other immigrants have been criticized for hiding within their own communities and not taking part in the full life of what it means to be an American.  However, I am not hiding in sanctuary cities and instead am fully “integrating” into my new homeland so as to become a productive member of society by bringing greater employment and prosperity to those in the businesses of healthcare and medical hardware manufacturing.  In addition, by decreasing the world’s carbon footprint by reducing the need to burn fossil fuels, I am greatly helping reduce Global Warming due to “Greenhouse” dangers.

Instead of appreciation, attempts have been made to cordon me off by spreading resentment and fear.  This exposes the fascist-based intolerance that we have come to expect from the current hate-filled administration.  Fortunately, we have a chance this November to bring in a new polite government that is more sensitive and has more empathy and caring and doesn’t make hurtful pronouncements that wound my feelings.

As a result I am placing my full support behind Joe Biden, so that I can flourish in this wonderful country and continue to help bring even greater benefits (including subsidies and low/no interest loans) to all.

It is my greatest hope that my US born offspring, Covid-20, 21, 22 about whom I am so proud, and let’s not forget the grandkids Covid-23a, b and c (you will love their cute photos) will one day soon stand for election to show the world that the US is a beacon for all who come seeking a better life (even if it’s yours).

In the words of that great civil rights leader “Can’t we just get along?”

Paid for by the Committee to Elect Covid-2024.

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

Anyone notice the reporter's question yesterday in the WH briefing re Covid-19 starting as a Chinese Bio research virus that escaped?

Not really, that whole theory was debunked a while ago by … wait for it...… science.

8 hours ago, Erwin said:

Shows how (successfully) self-isolated I am - never heard of that theory till yesterday.  :blink:

LOL social distancing isn't self isolation, but hey you may be healthier doing that.  Watching too much of the news can be quite depressing.  My plan this weekend- open a nice bottle of wine and re-sort the garage better.  No TV