Jump to content

New Module coming For Blitzkrieg


Recommended Posts

Just a couple weeks ago it was officially announced that a new module is coming to Combat Mission : Final Blitzkrieg, which will take the western front from the Rhine to the Elbe. What do you guys think? It seems too far out yet on the planning to say anything about it yet.

Edited by user1000
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Entering the Germans home turf. There is a lot of land between the Rhine and Elbe, and a lot of battles. Some stuff I can think of

Volkssturm Militia

Walter Model

Battle of Remagen

Wesel

SAS

German Tank Destroyers

Battle of Hamburg

Battle of Nuremburg

Operation Plunder

Operation Veritable

Devers In the south Bavaria black forest and alps

Battle of Heilbronn

Paratroopers

Operation Varsity

What areas did the British and Canadians battle to the north south and west and how far did they go before stopping?

 

Edited by user1000
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/23/2020 at 3:41 PM, user1000 said:

Operation Varsity

If I'm not mistaken, I think Operation Varsity is covered in the battlepack for CMBN, though I would always welcome an additional campaign or set of scenarios. 

Personally I really hope we see some coverage of the crossing of the Rhine. Having a scenario/campaign that covers both the Rangers amphibious assault across the Rhine would be great, especially now that CM simulates amphibious vehicles. DUKW's anyone? That and some coverage of the Bridge at Remagen would be cool as well.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This past year I had the pleasure of meeting a veteran of the Battle of the Scheldt for his hundredth birthday. As much as the Battle of the Bulge draws public attention, what the 21st Army Group accomplished was nothing short of amazing. With amphibious vehicles now in-engine, I'd like to see Commonwealth forces through the end of the war. For so many of the public, the war ends at Normandy when I think the real accomplishments of the Commonwealth armies came later.

While the OOB and TOE  will probably be similar to most Commonwealth forces, The Belgian & Netherlands Independent Brigade Groups liberating their homelands is fascinating and fertile ground for scenario or campaign designers. 

The Czech Armoured Brigade Group is also often overlooked and beyond besieging channel ports, liberated Prague.

Finally of course, there the Commonwealth Special Forces that we have long wished for. A possible bonus of this is the possibility for a troop pack adding these forces to Battle for Normandy and Fortress Italy.

I would liken it to how Italy is often a forgotten theatre, both in the public mind and in the wargamming community. Any chance to break from the tired chronology of Western Desert > Normandy > Bulge is welcome by me.

There is a great Osprey title on the subject:

9781472809476_24.jpg

Victory 1945: Western Allied Troops in Northwest Europe

37 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

If I'm not mistaken, I think Operation Varsity is covered in the battlepack for CMBN, though I would always welcome an additional campaign or set of scenarios. 

Personally I really hope we see some coverage of the crossing of the Rhine. Having a scenario/campaign that covers both the Rangers amphibious assault across the Rhine would be great, especially now that CM simulates amphibious vehicles. DUKW's anyone? That and some coverage of the Bridge at Remagen would be cool as well.  

Market Garden (Sept 44) is in CMBN, Varsity was the airborne drop supporting the Rhine crossing in March 45.

 

Edited by DougPhresh
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The fighting in the Scheldt Estuary should be a must for any future CW module in CM:FB.....On a personal note I'd like to see the Belgians, as the 1st AC Squadron was based just up the road from me in Malvern, prior to returning to liberate their homeland:

http://www.be4046.eu/ACSqdn.htm

http://www.warwheels.net/images/ACJfinal17.pdf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Sadly, you are mistaken. The Battle Pack only takes us into the autumn of '44.

Ahh oh well. I don't have CMBN installed on this computer right now as I'm away from my desktop, but I thought there was an airborne scenario that covered parts of Operation Varsity. Anyone know the scenario I'm talking about? It's large and there are a few different variations of it that come in the battlepack. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, playing both the British and US versions for the last several weeks, off and on. It's Operation Linnet II which was one of the cancelled ones prior to Market Garden. They are challenging in that you have to secure the huge LZ and take bridges.  I'm enjoying them.

 

Ninja'd by the Sarge. Those are the ones I'm playing.

Edited by mjkerner
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2020 at 7:10 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The fighting in the Scheldt Estuary should be a must for any future CW module in CM:FB.....On a personal note I'd like to see the Belgians, as the 1st AC Squadron was based just up the road from me in Malvern, prior to returning to liberate their homeland:

http://www.be4046.eu/ACSqdn.htm

http://www.warwheels.net/images/ACJfinal17.pdf

The Dutch, Belgian and Czech formations in North West Europe all had fascinating campaigns. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Prospective title? Any suggestions, what could it be called? I prefer real names of operations, places etc, but apparently they couldn’t think of a good one for the new RT module. Fire and rubble means nothing I’m afraid, but the rest are fine I think... the titles are appropriate for their contents.

gustav line - yup

rome to victory - ok but it didn’t mean much, wasn’t much of a victory at all, was captured by a us general disobeying orders for his own personal glory, and was forgotten days later when the Normandy landings occurred.

market garden - yup

commonwealth - fine

Edited by Jace11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Jace11 said:

Prospective title? Any suggestions, what could it be called? I prefer real names of operations, places etc, but apparently they couldn’t think of a good one for the new RT module. Fire and rubble means nothing I’m afraid, but the rest are fine I think... the titles are appropriate for their contents.

gustav line - yup

rome to victory - ok but it didn’t mean much, wasn’t much of a victory at all, was captured by a us general disobeying orders for his own personal glory, and was forgotten days later when the Normandy landings occurred.

market garden - yup

commonwealth - fine

So go on then - give us a meaningful name that will persuade you and the rest of us to buy the title … not forgetting the timescale of the title, the number of operations mounted by both sides and the spread of countries in which those battles were fought.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...