Umlauts Commercial Buildings

umlaut

Howdy folks
The other day I realized that I had an almost complete mod set of commercial buildings that I´d never finished and released. So now I have brushed up the files and made it sort of ready for release. Mind you: The mod set is not as finished as I would like it to be - that is the reason why I didnt release it, when I made it three or four years ago. But I dont think I will ever get the time to fully complete it - so I have decided to release it as it is, rather than just letting it sit idle on my hard drive. 

I am going to make it temporarily available from Dropbox - but hopefully it will be on CMMODS IV soon and then I´ll remove them again.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f2tl7i0ntkw5r3u/AADyULTXZ40Ms5CDuaQ7B6b7a?dl=0
Umlauts%20commercial.jpg?dl=1
Here´s a bit of info on it:
Umlauts Commercial Buildings
This set of mods contains modded commercial buildings for CM Normandy.
I have added murals to the gables of some of the buildings and some extra storefronts.
According to my research they should all be typical of Normandy in 1944 – but I could be
wrong.
The mod set contains quite a few extra commercial buildings, compared to the base game:
Buildings 100: Base game = 2 sets – this mod = 3 sets
Buildings 101: Base game = 2 sets – this mod = 15 sets
Buildings 102: Base game = 2 sets – this mod = 2 sets
Buildings 103: Base game = 2 sets – this mod = 13 sets

Mirrored gables
Unfortunately, the game reuses the gable BMP´s for both gables of a house, so if a
commercial building isn´t accached to another buildong, then one of the murals will always
be inverted.
I have tried to fix this by adding two different versions of each gable – with the inverted
part on both sides. This means that you can place two commercial buildings next to each
other and cycle through the building layout (shift-left click), until the inverted gables are
hidden where the buildings meet.
Choosing the preferred layout
I highy recommend that you cycle through the building layout (shift-left click) of each
building to choose the one with the preferred layout. If you leave it to the game, the
building layouts are assigned ramdomly – and you will probably see a lot of inverted
gables and indentical buildings next to each other.
When you cycle through the layouts, remember that there are up to 15 different layouts for
some types. And if you click and nothing seems to change – then it is probably only the
layout of the gable that has changed, while the rest of the building stays the same.
Damage:
I have altered the damage files of the game to suit my tastes. The buildings with damage
showing the brick work through the plaster are modded to fit these damage files. To apply
damage, press shift-alt-leftclick.
Please remember that I do not consider this mod set completely finished. But I dont think I
will find the time to finish it anytime soon – if ever – so I´ve decided to release it as it is.
Enjoy

6 hours ago, Erwin said:

Love it.  Thanks Umlaut!

In your video as soldiers run past, one can see one of the wall signs is reversed.  Is that the random issue you mentioned?

Exaxtly. I only noticed it after I released the video.

On the other side of the building the mural will be displayed the correct way.

umlaut c'est formidable !!

by the biggest coincidence, I finished last night less than 24 hours ago a modification of the building 103 to dress your "Cembienne" masterpiece

200121113427313520.jpg

and this morning I discovered that you posted a whole series of wonders !!!
thank it's beautifful

I started to take a photos of the commercial Buildings that we has still  to meet in the northwest of France in order to have material (data base) to modify
Even if you do not have time, I will send you and to whomever them want all the photos that I can take as a basis.
some of the best examples found in Paimpol in Bretagne

200121113456964823.jpg

200121113453819408.jpg

200121113515719020.jpg

7 hours ago, Falaise said:

umlaut c'est formidable !!

by the biggest coincidence, I finished last night less than 24 hours ago a modification of the building 103 to dress your "Cembienne

Thanks a lot. 

Wow! What a coincidence. 🙂 They look great. I’ll send you a pm later.

On 1/23/2020 at 2:47 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Really looking forward to seeing how this project develops.....I'd love to use these in CM:BN.  B)

Please go ahead: The mod set is now available at Cmmods IV:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HGDnNtLMkS_IZ_pEeDr_owvWIhLdYakX

Thanks to @Falaise for contributing with a handful of his own commercial building mods (as seen above). Also I have added few more myself. I also forgot to mention that I have included a couple of mods I once got from @NPye I hope he doesnt mind (I dont think his wonderful CMBN building mods were ever released)?

This means that the number of mods have risen, since my first post in this thread. Compared to the original game files the mod set now contains:

Buildings 100: Base game = 2 sets – this mod = 5 sets
Buildings 101: Base game = 2 sets – this mod = 17 sets
Buildings 102: Base game = 2 sets – this mod = 6 sets
Buildings 103: Base game = 2 sets – this mod = 17 sets

Edited by umlaut

On 1/21/2020 at 12:31 AM, Erwin said:

Love it.  Thanks Umlaut!

In your video as soldiers run past, one can see one of the wall signs is reversed.  Is that the random issue you mentioned?

It does look a bit strange. But, I just like to think that the painter had just a bit too much wine with his lunch.

15 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Pretty spectacular, Umlaut! Great job, mate. +1

Thanks a lot :)

BTW, I forgot to mention that I am updating the maps of my Ciembienne scenarios (Seizing Ciembienne and Tiger by the Tail) to fit with this mod set. I´ll post here when they are ready.

8 minutes ago, Erwin said:

I found an Umlaut 251 2 with [damage] suffix dated 6/1/2025 in my "Download folder" together with the Commercial Buildings.  Is that for CMBN or for another title?

Yeah, that was a folder that had gotten into the buildings folder by mistake. It should be gone from the latest mod set in CMMODS (which also has several more mods).

It belongs to some experimenting with making damaged burning vehicles. But I never followed it through because using those mods would mean that you wouldnt be able to play with the same vehicles. Here are some Shermans:
Sherman%20damage.jpg?dl=1

On 1/21/2020 at 12:01 AM, umlaut said:

I am going to make it temporarily available from Dropbox - but hopefully it will be on CMMODS IV soon and then I´ll remove them again.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f2tl7i0ntkw5r3u/AADyULTXZ40Ms5CDuaQ7B6b7a?dl=0

I have just become aware that you might not be able to download from a Dropbox link that ends with a "0".

Can anyone comfirm if they have tried to download these mods - or not?

10 hours ago, Aquila-SmartWargames said:

Link is working.

Thanks a lot for testing. :)

10 hours ago, Aquila-SmartWargames said:

By renaming the mdr files to whatever vehicle that is not needed in a specific scenario, designers can use the wrecks along working vehicles of the same type.

Could you please explain how? In this case I have chosen vehicles from the editor - not as flavor objects - because "real" vehicles can burn and provide cover. If you rename the mdr will I then get to choose an extra version of that vehicle in the editor - og how does it work?

1 hour ago, umlaut said:

Could you please explain how? In this case I have chosen vehicles from the editor - not as flavor objects - because "real" vehicles can burn and provide cover. If you rename the mdr will I then get to choose an extra version of that vehicle in the editor - og how does it work?

Lets say you want the Sherman and the burning Sherman wrecks in your scenario and are perfectly sure that you won´t - lets say - use a British Cromwell IV in your scenario/campaign. Then rename the Sherman wreck files to:

cromwell-iv [damage].mdr

cromwell-iv-lod-1,2,3,4 [damage].mdr

Then in the scenario  editor set the [damage] modtag and place some Cromwell-iv wrecks there and they will look like your Sherman wreck, provide cover, LOS/LOF blocking, and burn, etc. while you still can use the regular Shermans as "alive" tanks for the player/enemy side.

In this example the chromwell->sherman conversion will only become active when modtag [damage] is called. So users don´t need to worry about their modfolder and will keep their default Cromwells for any other scenarios. The Cromwell is just a example could be also every another vehicle of any faction like a kubelwagen but it makes sense to choose something similar in size/sturdiness in order to get most consistent LOS/LOF blocking and cover.

Edited by Aquila-SmartWargames