Something seems to be happening here, dudes.

2 hours ago, Thomm said:

I am particularly curious whether or not it is possible to upgrade the base games directly to the 4.0 standard in one go with the Big Bundle Upgrade. That would be most beneficial.

(I am sure this is described in detail somewhere, but I do not have the patience to search for it)

Best regards,
Thomm

Yes, as long as you own the previous upgrades (if relevant for the title). The download options for each title include an engine 4 upgrade installer and an engine 4 full install.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, akd said:

Yes, as long as you own the previous upgrades (if relevant for the title). The download options for each title include an engine 4 upgrade installer and an engine 4 full install.

Okay, looking at the Store, the following appears to be applicable:

Final Blitzkrieg and Black Sea and Red Thunder can be upgraded to 4.0 directly.

Battle for Normandy and Fortress Italy require Upgrade 3 also.

I suppose the Upgrades also apply all available patches, automatically?

Best regard,
Thomm

Full install (big file) for engine 4 would not require patches, because it is a full install.  You just need to have the keys for the necessary products on your system.  This works for modules, as well.

Engine 4 upgrade (small file) can only be applied to the latest, fully-patched version of the title, e.g. Battle for Normandy 3.12 (which, IIRC, would be up through engine 3 upgrade + patch).

Just to be sure I've got this right, I just bought the v4 upgrade for CMFB on my Mac laptop.  Does the cross platform aspect mean that:

1) The upgrade to v4 will work on both the Mac and Windows versions (but you previously need to have bought both versions from the store)?

2) Or, that if I have CMFB Mac version I can download the full install of the Windows and Mac versions, thus allowing me to put CMFB on my Windows desktop?

Coming at it from the other way, I have CMBN purchased for my Windows desktop at v3.  If I buy the CMBN v4 upgrade for that can I then download the Mac full installer for CMBN and use the licensing keys for the Windows version to v3 and then use the v4 key for the Mac too?

I'm thinking that this cross platform thing might ONLY relate to the v4 upgrade licence but you actually need to have both the Mac and Windows versions of the games if you want to use them on both systems.  

Been holding off buying CMBN for Mac at the moment as I'm not sure I'm gonna stick with Apple laptops the way they are going of late, paying top dollar for processors that are 2 generations old and specs that companies like Dell can put out for half the price (not to mention the constant dumbing down of oSX) grates a little.

I'm guessing (but hopefully wrongly) that it's the former.  Can't check the details at the store because I need to use my phone hotspot to connect to that as I have problems somewhere with IP address range banning.

Edited by Apache

11 hours ago, Apache said:

2) Or, that if I have CMFB Mac version I can download the full install of the Windows and Mac versions, thus allowing me to put CMFB on my Windows desktop?

This. The binaries are not the same - the game is compiled separately for each platform as is the installer.

11 hours ago, Apache said:

Coming at it from the other way, I have CMBN purchased for my Windows desktop at v3.  If I buy the CMBN v4 upgrade for that can I then download the Mac full installer for CMBN and use the licensing keys for the Windows version to v3 and then use the v4 key for the Mac too?

The change to shared licensing is implamented in the v4 upgrade. There has to be client side code in place, which came with the v4 engine upgrade and licencing sever / database changes that also were done for the v4 upgrade.

On 29-12-2016 at 7:20 PM, Kevin2k said:

Excellent! I will be patient until one of those demos is available.

Nevermind, I took the plunge and purchased the 4.0 upgrade big bundle already. :)  Got through the installation process without problems and enjoyed a few quick battles.

On 03/01/2017 at 10:51 PM, IanL said:

This. The binaries are not the same - the game is compiled separately for each platform as is the installer.

The change to shared licensing is implamented in the v4 upgrade. There has to be client side code in place, which came with the v4 engine upgrade and licencing sever / database changes that also were done for the v4 upgrade.

So I will need the base game for each OS (Windows and PC) but the v4 upgrade will work across both?

OK.  I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing.  Either way I'm not really any clearer.  Getting to specifics.

I have CMBN for Windows only.  I don't have the Mac version. Now, if I buy the CMBN v4 upgrade and in addition to the Windows full installer I download the Mac full installer, will I be able to / do I need to enter my Windows key for the Mac version 3 and then the key for version 4 on the Mac and thus have the game working on the Mac and Windows?  Or, do I still need to buy the full CMBN for Mac first.

Not sure if that's clearer.  I'm not sure how else to explain it.

Yes I saw that post.  What I wasn't sure of is whether 'their licences' refers to the v4 upgrade licence key only, which will be different to the licence key supplied with the version 3 I bought for Windows for CMBN some time back.  I can see that if you have Mac and Windows versions of the game that the v4 licence can be used on both.

What I can't figure is whether merely buying a v4 upgrade can be used to effectively open CMBN on the Mac when it was bought for windows.

26 minutes ago, Apache said:

I download the Mac full installer, will I be able to / do I need to enter my Windows key for the Mac version 3 and then the key for version 4 on the Mac and thus have the game working on the Mac and Windows?

My understanding is that for a fresh install you will not need any other keys than the v4 key and any module and pack keys that you might need.

So, no need for a v3 key.

Or, do I still need to buy the full CMBN for Mac first.

No, my understanding is that you do not need to buy anything else.

Not sure if that's clearer.  I'm not sure how else to explain it.

Yes, now I see what you are asking. :)

Cheers.  I'll drop a mail to sales to confirm.  Pretty awesome if that's the case.  When I check my account at BF I can only get the original exe (Windows) installs, no DMG version.  So I'm guessing / hoping that I just need to buy the v4 key for the Mac then download the full installer DMG for CMBN and have it work?

Just can't get my head around how, not having any install of CMBN on my Mac at all, it will know that I have both CMBN and CMBN CF module.  Unless the DMG install contains CMBN and CMBN CF and I need to use both of my Windows licence keys first to validate I have the game and a module and then v4 key to upgrade it?  Unless, that is, it's all taken care of at the BF end and the store already knows what you are entitled too and will give you a DMG install by default for the game and whatever modules you have.  Just can't get my head round it :(

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 0:36 AM, Battlefront.com said:

P.S.  Special kudos to our testers for not being shy about calling it out for what it was.  More kudos for supporting out decision to yank it.  Nobody wanted it to end that way.

This is what I like about you guys, you actually try out the ideas posted on the forums.

Having said that, how about some Space Lobsters of Doom? I've been waiting patiently for 14 years now...

9 hours ago, Apache said:

Cheers.  I'll drop a mail to sales to confirm.  Pretty awesome if that's the case.  When I check my account at BF I can only get the original exe (Windows) installs, no DMG version.  So I'm guessing / hoping that I just need to buy the v4 key for the Mac then download the full installer DMG for CMBN and have it work?

Just can't get my head around how, not having any install of CMBN on my Mac at all, it will know that I have both CMBN and CMBN CF module.  Unless the DMG install contains CMBN and CMBN CF and I need to use both of my Windows licence keys first to validate I have the game and a module and then v4 key to upgrade it?  Unless, that is, it's all taken care of at the BF end and the store already knows what you are entitled too and will give you a DMG install by default for the game and whatever modules you have.  Just can't get my head round it :(

When you order the v4 upgrade bundle pack you get access to a dizzying array of install packages. If you just pick one game you will be less dizzy. One of those install files is the all in one install for the Mac. That will be able to install the base game and all the modules and packs on your Mac. They will all be there. Once you activate your game with the v4 code you will be able to play the base game on the Mac. There will also be (he says with confidence) an executable that will allow you to activate the modules and packs that you own. With their keys. My understanding is that this will work. Having said that your email to sales could be a wise thing to do. I know the base game keys that were issued before this were OS specific. If the module keys were never OS specific then this will just work. If they were OS specific then there could be a glitch. My understanding is that Steve's goal is for this to be possible but you should probably get verification that this is already just going to work or that they will help you get it to work if you run into trouble.

Mac All-in-One 4.0 installer worked great on a pseudo-Mac (homebuilt Mac Pro-alike using compatible parts). Made the switch from Win to Mac back at CMBN and haven't looked back since.

Installation has been easy-peasy ever since (CMBN+, CMFI +, CMRT, CMBS), including the 4.0 upgrade. Kudos to the Battlefront crew for making it ever easier to support my second vice, or is it the third? Hmm, velomobile, CM, scotch, or velomobile, scotch, CM?

4 hours ago, IanL said:

When you order the v4 upgrade bundle pack you get access to a dizzying array of install packages. If you just pick one game you will be less dizzy. One of those install files is the all in one install for the Mac. That will be able to install the base game and all the modules and packs on your Mac. They will all be there. Once you activate your game with the v4 code you will be able to play the base game on the Mac. There will also be (he says with confidence) an executable that will allow you to activate the modules and packs that you own. With their keys. My understanding is that this will work. Having said that your email to sales could be a wise thing to do. I know the base game keys that were issued before this were OS specific. If the module keys were never OS specific then this will just work. If they were OS specific then there could be a glitch. My understanding is that Steve's goal is for this to be possible but you should probably get verification that this is already just going to work or that they will help you get it to work if you run into trouble.

^^^ Your understanding is my understanding :) and correct as far as I 'understand'. Well phrased IanL ?

13 minutes ago, herr_oberst said:

Mac All-in-One 4.0 installer worked great on a pseudo-Mac (homebuilt Mac Pro-alike using compatible parts). Made the switch from Win to Mac back at CMBN and haven't looked back since.

Installation has been easy-peasy ever since (CMBN+, CMFI +, CMRT, CMBS), including the 4.0 upgrade. Kudos to the Battlefront crew for making it ever easier to support my second vice, or is it the third? Hmm, velomobile, CM, scotch, or velomobile, scotch, CM?

:D pseudo-Macs are a 'gate way' vice ? to more velomobile, CM, scotch:)

Mac All-in-One 4.0 installer is "easy-peasy" and a fast install.

Buzz

Thanks.  To be clear I'm not ordering the bundle.  JUST the $10 v4 upgrade for CMBN.

I'm guessing what you own must be sorted out the BF end before you purchase (e.g. the system checks that you own CMBN when you buy the upgrade).  Otherwise, in the absence of any install of CMBN on the Mac, if it just worked from the v4 $10 upgrade, it would mean that I could just buy CMBN for Mac for $10.  Surely there has to be some way for you to tell the system (or for the system to know) that you own CMBN for Windows before you can get it to work on the Mac, unless your account 'knows' you own it and therefore just gives you the 'right' to activate v4. Somehow the system has to know you own CMBN.  Just using the v4 key doesn't let it know you are entitled to the base game.

Edited by Apache

Wish you had made it a bit clearer what is included in your very generous Upgrade 4 Big Bundle.....I've wound up paying for CMFI Upgrade 3 twice.  :(

On the bright side, for those of you not fully updated to engine 3, buy this package.....It's a steal!  B)

Just hope it installs OK.....My luck's not been brilliant on that front lately either.  :unsure:

14 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Wish you had made it a bit clearer what is included in your very generous Upgrade 4 Big Bundle.....I've wound up paying for CMFI Upgrade 3 twice.  :(

I am assuming you bought the Upgrade 4 big bundle but saw only the FI engine 3 download on your downloads page.  As noted in the store and elsewhere, upgrade 4 has been delayed for FI and will be available for download when ready.

The upgrade 4 bundle is only a key for upgrade 4.  If you bought only that and then downloaded the FI engine 3 installer, you would not have a key to unlock it.  You are purchasing keys, not downloads.

Edited by akd

18 hours ago, SLIM said:

This is what I like about you guys, you actually try out the ideas posted on the forums.

Thanks!  While we (Battlefront) are the keepers of the schedule and set the priorities, it is you guys that large determine what eventually goes in the game.  After all, you are the ones that decide if something is worth buying and playing, not us.  Therefore, it makes a wee bit of sense to listen to what you guys want and try to make it happen :)

18 hours ago, SLIM said:

Having said that, how about some Space Lobsters of Doom? I've been waiting patiently for 14 years now...

If yoou only knew how many times I mention Spaaace Lobsters of Doom internally.  If someone gave us the money and some cloning technology we'd get started on it 5 minutes later!

21 minutes ago, akd said:

I am assuming you bought the Upgrade 4 big bundle but saw only the FI engine 3 download on your downloads page.  As noted in the store and elsewhere, upgrade 4 has been delayed for FI and will be available for download when ready.

The upgrade 4 bundle is only a key for upgrade 4.  If you bought only that and then downloaded the FI engine 3 installer, you would not have a key to unlock it.  You are purchasing keys, not downloads.

AKD is correct.  Upgade 3 does not come as part of Upgrade 4, therefore both are needed.

Steve