Something seems to be happening here, dudes.

The BCF marketing manager needs to be woken from his eggnog hangover. I discovered the 4.0 update release from my random perusal of the forums. There was no spam style e-mail reporting the 4.0 upgrade or the fact that I can get all 5 engines upgraded in a $25 bundle. The gaming media are quiet too.

You guys do yourselves a disservice.

And please release ChrisND from his dungeon so he can entertain me with some more CM Twitch streams.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not privy to the thought process of the BFC Star Chamber but their last few product releases have been 'soft launches', giving the release news a couple days to filter-down before making an official announcement. There might have an advantage to that on the back end. Mitigate any big download slowdowns associated with everybody jumping onto the product at once. That may not be accurate but it seems logical. :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Not privy to the thought process of the BFC Star Chamber but their last few product releases have been 'soft launches', giving the release news a couple days to filter-down before making an official announcement. There might have an advantage to that on the back end. Mitigate any big download slowdowns associated with everybody jumping onto the product at once. That may not be accurate but it seems logical. :rolleyes:

Hey Mikey,

Where is the Annual Christmas Bone Thread?  It has been tradition for BFC to include some info on upcoming products at the end of the year, however, this year I haven't seen anything regarding the new CM:Fortress Italy module or CM:Red Thunder.  Any insight into what is going on?

Those "soft releases" and a lack of information on what is in the pipeline, seems like very curious decisions for a company trying to sell product.

Christmas Bone History List

2016 - Screwged? 

2015 - Posted on December 24th and December 26th

2014 - Posted on December 24th

2013 - Posted on December 20th

20 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I typed up a cheery detailed reply, then a line popped into my head - "Non-disclosure agreement". Oh yeh, almost forgot about that. So I'll leave any bones & teasers to those above my pay grade. I'll leave you with one word, though. 'Ambitious'. ;)

I like the sound of that - "ambitious" :D

5 hours ago, Harry Speakup said:

<Snip>  And please release ChrisND from his dungeon so he can entertain me with some more CM Twitch streams.

September 18th was the last time ChrisND was reported as active on the forums.  Not sure what to make of that.  Maybe he doesn't want the distraction of dealing with the forum and his Twitch account and he is hard at work on a project?  Or something else happened?  Hope everything is okay with him.  

50 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

September 18th was the last time ChrisND was reported as active on the forums.  Not sure what to make of that.  Maybe he doesn't want the distraction of dealing with the forum and his Twitch account and he is hard at work on a project?  Or something else happened?  Hope everything is okay with him.  

+1 to that. Hope everything is good and he's enjoying the festive season.

Hi All -

Since upgrading to engine 4.0 my CMFB - when i hit target - gun sounds and muzzle flash are ok.. however when i hit target light, the troops 'appear' to be firing, but i can't hear any sounds nor see muzzle flash ? Is it only my bug ? Mod issue ?

Best

On 12/25/2016 at 5:20 PM, MOS:96B2P said:

He's alive and well, but I think he found that during crunch times he didn't have as much time and energy for Twitch and Forum posts.  The last 6 months has been a bit crunchy :)  I expect you'll hear from him in the New Year!

5 hours ago, borg said:

Hi All -

Since upgrading to engine 4.0 my CMFB - when i hit target - gun sounds and muzzle flash are ok.. however when i hit target light, the troops 'appear' to be firing, but i can't hear any sounds nor see muzzle flash ? Is it only my bug ? Mod issue ?

Best

Could be a mod issue.  Definitely pull your mods (all of 'em) and see if that makes any difference.

3 hours ago, Thomm said:

If someone posts a video of the new building corner behavior, that will make me very happy!

Best regards
Thomm

Always good to see you here Thomm, but I can't help :)

Steve

2 hours ago, Thomm said:

Thank you once again! 

note that the guy on the left crouching is also at a "corner".  There is just another building adjacent and it isn't quite as obvious.  If you position your unit, 1 guy will move off to each corner and look.  You can adjust that with a face order.My personal experience is to send an AT team only and have them face a particular direction.  (at least when trying to ambush a tank).  One item to be very clear on is how the game calculates LOS.  There are times when you will think your team should clearly see an object on the street, but they can't because LOS isn't calculated from their eyeballs exactly.  Given that though I have still had some good success versus armor particularly in WW2 titles.

3 minutes ago, Thomm said:

Interesting! It seems to work as one would expect it to. 

But what about exposure? Do the guys at the corners get some abstract bonus taking into account that they could just peek around the corner without fully exposing themselves?

Best regards  Thomm

Possibly yes. But, given how LOS and LOF computations are handled in the engine, they probably can't be fired upon from angles they could IRL, I suspect that here BF has chosen not to double dip with abstractions.

22 minutes ago, Thomm said:

Interesting! It seems to work as one would expect it to. 

But what about exposure? Do the guys at the corners get some abstract bonus taking into account that they could just peek around the corner without fully exposing themselves?

Best regards  Thomm

There's some fudging to help benefit the guy at the corner, but it is not perfect.  There's a note about this in the manual.  The simple explanation is that when we programmed the core engine there was not enough CPU power out there to make the system more granular than it is.  For a situation like corners, granularity is what we need more of.  So Charles was able to do some fancy tricks, but in the end it's somewhere between "better than before by a long shot" and "not where anybody thinks it should be".

As Bletchely pointed out, we have to be mindful that things be a two way street.  We did find some "corner cases" to the "corner feature" (heh) where there could be issues when the target is a vehicle at a certain angle in certain conditions.  Charles tweaked that at the last minute, but it underscored that we are at the "edge" of what the game is capable of.  The puns are free of charge :D

Steve

1 hour ago, scottie said:

Great to see development is ongoing but my word your upgrades and patches and add-ons create a very confusing picture for the consumer especially having been away for a wee while. Its quiet daunting.

I am particularly curious whether or not it is possible to upgrade the base games directly to the 4.0 standard in one go with the Big Bundle Upgrade. That would be most beneficial.

(I am sure this is described in detail somewhere, but I do not have the patience to search for it)

Best regards,
Thomm