Mulling things over

Wodin

I'm not normally into modern warfare. Though CMSF with the Brit module I really got into so was looking forward to BS. Now after having it since near release I'm not sure how I feel about it. I will say out of CMBN and all modules, CMRT and CMBS then CMBS it is my last choice if I fancy a CM game. I'd say CMBN with all the modules is most played closely followed by CMRT. I can't put my finger on why BS isn't really inspiring me. Was considering the lethality after the WW2 games, but then CMSF was and I was happy, or one reason maybe that the campaigns (which I love in CM games) start off with loads of units when I prefer a gradual build up and to be honest with large scenarios I do tend to stay away from.  I'm hoping just like CMSF it suddenly starts to shine for me when a future module is released..CMSF did when the Brit module came out.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Have you tried the CMBS demo? I think CMBS is my favourite CMx2 game, but a well designed battle in any CM game (particularly when fought against a human opponent) is what makes the series interesting. The Russian campaign is also particularly good if you're looking for single player.

... looking forward to BS. Now after having it since near release I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Have you tried the CMBS demo? I think CMBS is my favourite CMx2 game, but a well designed battle in any CM game (particularly when fought against a human opponent) is what makes the series interesting. The Russian campaign is also particularly good if you're looking for single player.

I don't think he needs the demo - he has the main title.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Not me - but I agree there is something difficult to pin down that feels very different.  It think it is the accumulated difference in technology - the sum of the parts are greater than the whole.  Right now I have as many CMBS games going as I do the released WWII titles.

What I have noticed is my track record.  My PBEM track record is quite a bit above 50% and my track record in CMBS is below 50%.  So apparently I suck at handling the modern forces :). Then again I have always managed to have fun when loosing.

CMBS absolutely feels different... it better after all. :P but personally I love it.  I helped test the Spartan Resolve campaign and loved every second of it.  The challenges are different obviously but the capabilities and potential for odd scenarios is way too cool.  Personally I am hoping for the uncons to show. Go Figure.  :D

So far I've only played CMBS and haven't tried the WW2 titles. For the moment, I'm just fed up with the Second World War theme. There are just so few good, modern warfare games, that I cherish CMBS like a treasure. My main complain in about Black Sea, would be the campaigns. They are just too short and too few. Couple of days ago I downloaded the custom "The Eagle and the Bear" campaign and it looks much more promising than the stock campaigns ( 11 scenarios in total ).

Edited by Ivanov

There are a few issues related to how armored warfare is presented in CMBS that are holding me back, but once those are sorted out (I am cautiously optimistic they will be) it will be terrific. I love how different it feels to play the various nationalities, to a larger degree than the West Front WW2 games and maybe even Red Thunder. Infantry feels empowered.

If you're looking for larger scenarios, Lights, Camera & Action is great fun. Bridgehead at Kharalyk is also great as a medium to large scenario. Going to Town is a very challenging urban fight on a small map (I wish CMBS included more urban battles). The Russian campaign is also particularly good. I think Crossing the Dneiper might be the best single-player battle I've played in any CM game. It's at least the most cinematic.

Some of the rebels and Ukrainian battles, like Debaltseve Devils, are good too if you're looking for more scrappy forces

I have found that playing CMBS is helping me become better at the WW2 titles.  I actually bought CMBS as my first title in this game series after watching a few YouTube videos.  When I saw it being played out I thought yes, this is the game I've been looking for, no more stupid tank/heli rushes, here's looking at you red dragon.  Although I do love that game for.its simple joy and explosions.  I do love explosions.  However I bought it, loaded it up and HATED it.  Yes absolutely hated it.  I got hammered from the get go by unseen Russian forces from every direction, so I thought bugger I've bought a donkey and  I left it alone for months.  Then I came across this forum and TFGM, did a bit of reading and obviously found out that you could play the game in WEGO.  Well that changed everything and it all fell into place, you could take the time to scrutinise, place your men, plan your moves without it being just click, click.  Now I LOVE it, being able.to integrate all your weapon systems into a big set piece battle of epic proportions is just beautiful. 

It is by far the best depiction of modern warfare in a computer game.  I also like the fact that infantry when used properly are no longer just meatshields.  There's a big T90 blocking a route thinking he's all bad ass, get your 2 man jav team into a nice position and bye bye tankers.  I've been going through all the scenarios and haven't even got the Russian ones yet.  The game presses my buttons.

If you're looking for larger scenarios, Lights, Camera & Action is great fun. Bridgehead at Kharalyk is also great as a medium to large scenario. Going to Town is a very challenging urban fight on a small map (I wish CMBS included more urban battles). The Russian campaign is also particularly good. I think Crossing the Dneiper might be the best single-player battle I've played in any CM game. It's at least the most cinematic.

Some of the rebels and Ukrainian battles, like Debaltseve Devils, are good too if you're looking for more scrappy forces

I would also add the US Campaign to this list. Especially the 3rd mission (the infamous Poking the Bear) and also mission 4. It is a very well-made campaign and it's also not too hard.

Also, if you're looking for some infantry-centric, SOF-style fights, I would recommend Euri's scenarios such as "Leave no stone unturned" and also the Task Force Spartan Resolve campaign by Imperial Grunt.

Then I came across this forum and TFGM, did a bit of reading and obviously found out that you could play the game in WEGO.  Well that changed everything and it all fell into place, you could take the time to scrutinise, place your men, plan your moves without it being just click, click.  Now I LOVE it, being able.to integrate all your weapon systems into a big set piece battle of epic proportions is just beautiful. 

I am glad to see there are still WEGO fans like me out there, it definitely bring out everything good about the game for me, plan -> execute -> review.  Real time i can just about cope with for small battles but wego is the future ;)

I am glad to see there are still WEGO fans like me out there, it definitely bring out everything good about the game for me, plan -> execute -> review.  Real time i can just about cope with for small battles but wego is the future ;)

Although I totally prefer WEGO to realtime, I believe that sometimes in infantry-centric missions you need to play real-time. Because many of these missions are designed to simulate special forces, but the TacAI is sometimes too stupid, especially when it comes to infantry; and the 60 second time of a turn is sometimes too long for the rather fine control you will have to exert over those elite, but non-numerous forces, especially when time is a factor.

Yeah I loved CMBS at first I played the crap out of it and have done about 15-20 PBEMs, but it just got old compared to WW2 the weapons are so lethal I find having massive amounts of armor or APCs just to be a burden also over half of the Scenarios are blue only or best played as blue.. Which is annoying as Russia is way more interesting than the US 

WEGO only for me..always has been always will be. If it was ever dropped then I wouldn't buy any future games.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Edited by Wodin

Yeah I loved CMBS at first I played the crap out of it and have done about 15-20 PBEMs, but it just got old compared to WW2 the weapons are so lethal I find having massive amounts of armor or APCs just to be a burden also over half of the Scenarios are blue only or best played as blue.. Which is annoying as Russia is way more interesting than the US 

Similar for me.  I enjoy large RT, FI, and BN games, but I enjoy smaller BS games more because of the lethality.

But, for games against the AI, if it's a blue only scenario, I go into the editor and remove the US forces and replace them with the equivalent Ukrainian units.  When you hit deploy it doesn't show you the other side's units, so nothing is given away and it's more interesting to play.

They have said the next thing after CMFB will be the new CMFI module. They also said the first module for CMBS would add Marines, VDV, and Naval Infantry 

no no no, we must see the British, I mean it's not as if I haven't asked them very nicely on numerous occasions for this, I even said pretty please.  Haha.

I only discovered Battlefront in 2012 when i went looking for a modern era tactical level wargame and found ShockForce. Since thing i have purchased their entire line of CM2 games and I have to say Black Sea is my hands-down favorite. I love the speed and pace of modern combat. In my ( so far) limited PMEM experience my Black Sea games outnumber all the other by 2-1.

the army I would love the see when BFC does a NATO expansion for Black Sea are the Poles!

I played a little BS when it first came out then when back to the WW2 stuff. I recently revisited BS and I like playing h2h, but those have been very urbanized battles. Not sure how open or less urbanized battles will turn out.

For playing against the AI I still like the WW2 titles. Its good to hear the Red Thunder built in campaign is good as I haven't gotten around to playing it yet. I'm still working on the Market Garden Allied Campaign and the British have a tough time moving down a narrow corridor with a single road. I also have a almost finished Italy campaign.

I played the Black Sea stock campaign and it felt pretty 1 sided to me. It does feel to me the WW2 stuff is better. I think with some improvements Black Sea can get there. The ATGM issue needs to be addressed. I would certainly like to see some better buildings and more variety for urbanized combat. Looking at building available in the editor it seems like there could be more added that would better depict modern day buildings. Most of the population is moving to urban areas and many recent battles are centered around built up areas.

Another aspect that would improve the game is ability to give units more control over what weapon system to use against a target. While not asking to be able to micromanage down to the last detail, I would argue that infantry are given a level of training these days where they have a good idea of what weapon system works best for what.

I also strongly feel consideration should be given to having a 2 tier system for buying stuff in QB's. 1 for artillery, air support, SAM,  EW and supply assets the other one for the rest of ones forces.

Revisiting the sandbox might be interesting, depending on how its implemented and Asia would be great. While not in widespread service, giving the Russians some of the new stuff that just came out would be interesting.

no no no, we must see the British, I mean it's not as if I haven't asked them very nicely on numerous occasions for this, I even said pretty please.  Haha.

It was the brit module that really bought CMSF to life for me. So I too really want to see a Brit module for BS. I think in CMSF it was because the sides became a touch more equal. SO I expect the Brits to be up against it in BS. Which adds to the excitement.

• 2 months later...

Poland would be most interesting for me,  that mix of RUS and US tech,  with their own also. 

For me it was the US battle after poking the bear -  that full on,  modern urban fight just took me by the throat. 

Personally,  BS really hit me when I played real time -  things switch so fast,  and it can be so intense. But do NOT rush into a large RT game off the top -  scale up from platoon first...