Found This Guy In Bastogne

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[T]wo observations about the Tiger - it's in pretty bad shape, which isn't surprising, and it was a lot smaller than I expected.

<snip image>

I agree. It's always been interesting to me how different pics of the Tiger from different perspectives and with different people nearby can make it look really huge sometimes, yet so much smaller than expected at other times... i.e., the range of size perceptions seems to be wider than one would expect.

The attached pic shows what I mean -- it looks like a total BEAST there. And I've always wondered which perception is correct... which I guess in this case really means which of those two guys is closer to average size? I get the definite impression that the guy in the attached pic is smaller than average, and that the guy in your pic is bigger than average. ????

Doesn't one of the titles (CMBN, I guess it'd have to be) have a loading screen pic with a bunch of German soldiers sitting on a Tiger I? Or maybe it's a Panzer V or even a Tiger II -- don't exactly recall. But I do recall that the image makes that tank seem insanely huge, and the soldiers sitting on it are most likely near average size.

TigerTankScale.thumb.jpg.23d4506b5fdf359

Edited by sttp

I found this fella in Vimoutiers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vimoutiers_Tiger_tank

Europe is heavily littered with old iron.

Edit: two observations about the Tiger - it's in pretty bad shape, which isn't surprising, and it was a lot smaller than I expected.

Vimoutiers kitty.JPG

Perhaps I should be less excited than I was about tank riders in a Western Front title .. probably a Beta image though :).

Just to add some perspective on how big (or small) some of these tanks are - this is me standing in front of a T-34-85. For reference, I am 5'8":

Luke, if you don't mind my asking, where was your photo taken? I see a variety of equipment there but it looks in varying states of preservation. 

Edited by Bud_B

Luke, if you don't mind my asking, where was your photo taken? I see a variety of equipment there but it looks in varying states of preservation. 

I'm going to guess that was in Camp Roberts California. 

It's at the Museum of Military History in Vienna: http://www.hgm.at/en/

It's a great place to visit if you're ever in the area.

And here is a related piece of history:

COBRA KING: WHERE IS SHE TODAY?

World War II’s most famous US tank—the one that broke German siege lines at Bastogne 70 years ago in the Bulge—is restored and ready for display. She’s just waiting for the museum where she’ll rest to be constructed.

http://www.americainwwii.com/articles/cobra-king-today/

It's at the Museum of Military History in Vienna: http://www.hgm.at/en/

It's a great place to visit if you're ever in the area.

Thank you. I've been to a number of places in Belgium, Luxemburg and France, but never Germany or Austria. 

Thanks for the link;  looks like a nice museum. I like their slogan: "War belongs in a museum." :)

Yes, part of Kampfgruppe Peiper, Schwere SS-Panzer-Abteilung 501.

The museum at La Gleize is really good. I spent some time talking to the curator who was a boy during the Battle in 1944. What an amazing experience. He was so eager to share his experiences he came with me and showed me the distant fields where action took place and where he hid during the fighting.  Helps I could speak French. ;)

The museum at La Gleize is really good. I spent some time talking to the curator who was a boy during the Battle in 1944. What an amazing experience. He was so eager to share his experiences he came with me and showed me the distant fields where action took place and where he hid during the fighting.  Helps I could speak French. ;)

Lucky!