Found This Guy In Bastogne

Lucky!

Very much so! 

Similar experience when I was in Arnhem. I was looking at a large metal panel with a map of the September battle and an elderly gentleman was so impressed I was interested in something so long past, I got a guided tour of the town, showing me where the action took place, bullet scars still on the walls in places, etc. 

Such a shame that this living history will not be here to satisfy the curious for coming generations. :(

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very much so! 

Similar experience when I was in Arnhem. I was looking at a large metal panel with a map of the September battle and an elderly gentleman was so impressed I was interested in something so long past, I got a guided tour of the town, showing me where the action took place, bullet scars still on the walls in places, etc. 

Such a shame that this living history will not be here to satisfy the curious for coming generations. :(

Amazing luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Some wonderful stuff, especially the exciting story of the Sherman in Bastogne. Bookmarked that one. Shame about the graffiti on the Panther! Didn't know about any of the other tanks, either, except the La Gleize King Tiger. Here's the story of Tiger II No. 213. You'll be happy to know it was restored (not exactly sure what's being said by that term) some years ago, which is why it looks so nice. That is a repaint you're seeing. That and other goodies are in this link, which shows the Germans left a great deal of armor, softskins and other things of interest in and near La Gleize. Offhand, I see four I'd love to see in CM: Kettenkrad, Schwimmwagen, motorcycle and cars. Also of note are the captured US vehicles the Germans used. 

Super close range vid of No. 213. I didn't know this, but that tank has considerable battle damage: three substantial hits on the glacis, frag damage (dense coverage) to underside of gun mount and sleeve (assess as likely HE aimed at turret ring), probable frag damage to track guards and a lot of frag hits on the right side (assess as HE but not a contact hit; pattern is much more open than for gun mount and sleeve. None of this penetrated deeply enough to do anything that I could see, but it does give a feel for what abuse armor in battle can sustain. Note, too, there are no cracks in the armor from any of the projectile strikes. For you serious AFV modelers, there is a wealth of visual detail there in the vid from which to work your magic.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

John Kettler;

About the restoration of the KT I have this to add. When I was there at the Museum in 2014 the guide told me that the barrel was a new one made of wood (sic) and the muzzle brake was from a Panther from Skorzeny's 150. SS-Panzer-Brigade found near Malmedy. But then again I read on the link in your post that the barrel is from a Panther as well as the muzzle brake.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are traveling in France I doubt you will find a better collection of tanks than the Musee De Blindes in Saumur.

http://www.museedesblindes.fr/

Even people that don't like tanks will probably enjoy the visit.

When I was on my trip (where I saw La Gleize, etc) I did not have the time to see the Musee De Blindes. And I really wish I had, I've heard so many good things about it. I believe they have the only running Königstiger and occasionally take it for walkies...

Think of how eeeeasy rush hour drives will be from then on!

A pleasant fantasy that I have entertained many times. But it might not necessarily work out that way. ISTR thirty-some-odd years ago a guy down in California stole an M48 from a National Guard armory and went for a drive on the freeway. After the cops got onto him, he tried to escape by driving across the median but got hung up and couldn't move any farther. He refused to exit the tank and surrender, thinking I suppose that behind all that armor he was immune to anything the cops could bring against him. IIRC, the standoff ended when one cop climbed up on the tank, opened a hatch, and shot him.

<_<

Michael

A pleasant fantasy that I have entertained many times. But it might not necessarily work out that way. ISTR thirty-some-odd years ago a guy down in California stole an M48 from a National Guard armory and went for a drive on the freeway. After the cops got onto him, he tried to escape by driving across the median but got hung up and couldn't move any farther. He refused to exit the tank and surrender, thinking I suppose that behind all that armor he was immune to anything the cops could bring against him. IIRC, the standoff ended when one cop climbed up on the tank, opened a hatch, and shot him.

<_<

Michael

Yes, I remember watching that incident as it happened on TV. He was incompetent as a driver. 

Lessons learned:

1. Don't cross the median unless you are perpendicular to it

2. Dog the hatches! 

:D

Edited by Bud_B

Very much so! 

Such a shame that this living history will not be here to satisfy the curious for coming generations. :(

I was at the Imperial War Museum in London some years ago, and while doing my usual tourist thing a gentleman starting talking to me about the bofors gun we were in front of.  He was exceedingly Welsh in accent however so I am uncertain if he was telling me about his time as an anti-aircraft gunner, or if he was asking for the bus schedule and for me to turn off my radishes.

Still a neat experience though.  

Bud_B,

Museum des Blindes, Saumur, is immediately below. I would LOVE to be there on the day they bring out the AFVs and run them around. Like to lost my mind when I saw a clip online many years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cSVS5PyJJg

This second Saumur vid shows what I strongly suspect to be a specialized outing for a doc or a computer wargame, since I note a camera on the muzzle brake, a sound assistant holding two wind protected microphones, and various techs and such, to include what I believe to be a sound man in the TC's position. Note especially the emphasis placed on recording engine sounds.

The above vid, since I can't find a way to write between vids Two and Three, is a survey of all known Tiger series heavy AFVs and was done in consultation with the top experts in surviving armor.

(VO)

"We are experiencing technical difficulties. Thank you for your patience."

(End VO)

Somehow, I managed to copy in the wrong link, resulting in two copies of the surviving Tiger video, and I can't get rid of the second.  Nor can I separate the first from the second Saumur video. The usual handles for vids which allow their excision aren't appearing, probably because my computer's having a bad day. The good news? Nothing is on autoplay. That would be bad.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

• 2 weeks later...