No summer of flash sales?

Hello

i have been following the games store for quite some time now and not once i have seen them putting any of the games on sales. yes i know it says that you get X amount of discount ($55, 35 etc) but the thing is that the price for the games or its modules have been like this for quite some time. (atleast from the time i have been following)

Now for CM black sea and Red thunder it makes complete sense to me that they are new games so putting them up at much lower price/ large sale does not make much sense. But what about the other CM games or its modules?

sure you are making games for a niche market but is their any particular reason not to put games on bigger discount for more people to buy? 

steam sales is one thing.. DCS does sales every now and then (they had one recently, non steam that is), origin puts games on sales..so why dont battlefront does it?

PS. i have to buy few games but cannot do it looking at the price tags, thats why i asked :P ...also was curious 

I get ya, bro, but, how much have you enjoyed Black Sea? Do you foresee it being a game that can hold your interest for a lonnnnnggg time? These releases are worth it man.

super annoying, frustrating and full of rage :D yet i love the game and play it again. yes the release are worth it. its just that the price kills me atleast at times (i had to buy normandy, market garde, fortress of italy and the bulge)

so you can understand how much money till will be on these alone.. its hard to spend that much cause a $100 dollars when converted to my countrys currency is quite a lot money

There's also the possibility to buy one title or title+its modules per time. A new player could start from 1943 and CMFI, then its module, then CMN + British, then Market Garden, to get up to CMRT. Also, you could pick CMSF + modules if you like asymmetric warfare and/or desert setting, or CMBS if you like very modern warfare and temperate setting. There's a lot of game time there.

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

There's also the possibility to buy one title or title+its modules per time. A new player could start from 1943 and CMFI, then its module, then CMN + British, then Market Garden, to get up to CMRT. Also, you could pick CMSF + modules if you like asymmetric warfare and/or desert setting, or CMBS if you like very modern warfare and temperate setting. There's a lot of game time there.

i already have Black sea.

next one in line was normandy and market garden (but i cannot buy this as a bundle) so i got confused..reason is that fortress italy and its module is cheaper than normandy+market garden :(

and then they showed battle of bulge..so i am in a more bad spot now :P

CMBN bundle is $75 instead of the $90 full price. I do not understand people asking about sales when you can see the discounts right there on the purchase page. Unless you're asking them to raise their prices just so they can occasionally reduce them again.

CMBN bundle is $75 instead of the $90 full price. I do not understand people asking about sales when you can see the discounts right there on the purchase page. Unless you're asking them to raise their prices just so they can occasionally reduce them again.

That's just the mini bundle though. The full CMBN is $105.

Steam, GOG, GamersGate etc. have altered the landscape so that we pretty much expect to get pc games at a discount unless you're determined to buy at release (I say that as someone who loves Steam). 

There are only a handful of games I'm perfectly content to pay full price for, and CMx2 is front and center among them. (For the record, others would be Out of the Park Baseball, Wings over Flander Fields, Scourge of War, Graviteam Tactics modules, Paradox's grand strategy titles... and that's pretty much it.  ;) )

Also you should keep in mind CMBN isn't old. It's as up-to-date as Red Thunder (minus tank riders). How many wargames released in 2011 can claim they are on par with a game released three years later? Not many.

Mord.

because that is pretty much what every other game company is doing?? releasing a game at X price..then few months down the road putting it down with % of discount (which is lower)... i havent seen battlefront games going down from its said price in a decent number of months.

secondly not everyone can affoard $55 games to buy every single month so that is why people wait for steam, gog, origin, uplay sales.. so that the game can come down to half price and they can buy it. i hope its cleared now.

When you see games like DCS and close combat doing doing it then why not battlefront? 

sure its a company policy.. then i wonder how much regular sales are coming in at this time..how much is the community/players increasing... 

sorry but i dont find anything wrong with putting games up for sales for short time frame. 

Well sales decisions are BFs business decisions. So far they see no benefit to them to do so. Companies don't do sales out of some altruistic concern for folks who don't have the money for the full price, they do so to try and wring as much money out of the game as they can.

That is pretty much end of story and as far as this thread can go beyond folks disagreeing with that business decision. Sooner or later then BF will shut down this thread like they do every time because we do not get to decide BFs business decision. We can disagree with them, but we don't get a vote.

chohan85,

As the extensive discussion at the link LukeFF provided shows, buying a CM game, particularly if you keep buying the Upgrades as they're released, will provide you years of gaming pleasure, not, say, only the 14 hours spent to play a FPS all the way through. Consequently, the whole Steam argument is, as far as I'm concerned, meaningless. Also, there is a steeply discounted CM game. It's called CMBO, and you can have it for a mere $15. Not only is that a third of the original 2000 base cost of $45.00, but we paid shipping, too. In current year dollars, the current price (sans shipping) for CMBO as released would be $62.78, making the game at $15 today a steal. There are thousands of scenarios people have written for it, and the mods are only slightly less plentiful than grains of sand on the beach. With it, you can fight from D-Day to VE day in the ETO--which you can't do in CMBN, and won't ever be able to. CMBB and CMAK are $25/ea, but BFC's got you covered with a bundle which lets you fight from Barbarossa to the fall of Berlin and from the burning sands of the Western Desert, through Tunisa, Sicily and Italy. You can have both for only $40. 

Am I being facetious? A bit, but I'm also being serious here. BFC's first priority is survival, and the odds of doing that drop precipitously when it acts upon the insistent requests of people like you who know nothing of the inner workings of the very niche business yet try to tell BFC to lower its price point simply because someone else is doing so on Steam. You may wish to ask yourself "Who else is still selling and making money on a computer wargame released 15 years ago?" And look at the attrition curve BFC has been up against. ~26% of all the small businesses started in 2000 remain open in 2015. In the video game business, 20 studios went under in 2012 alone. 12 went down in flames in 2011. But tiny BFC not only has survived but grown in those very same tough economic conditions. Steve et al. know what they're doing when it comes to marketing and selling their products. To my knowledge, the only times they got into trouble were in dancing to someone else's tune and expectations. That's why you don't find CM in physical stores; why BFC releases products only when it deems them ready (see CMSF as released for what can happen when it's not done that way), why BFC is very choosy about its partnering and outside developers and why BFC eschews the release then discount approach you seek to have it follow. 

I wish you vast enjoyment in your CM endeavors, but I'm afraid you're just going to have to rethink how you game and what you buy if you wish to wage war via Combat Mission.

Regards,

John Kettler

P.S.

Understand that I'm no fanboi. Far from it! I go all the way back to the CMBO Beta Demo, and there are people here who can attest that I've hammered BTS/BFC over various things for the better part of two decades, one of which is its utter refusal to cover the PTO. I've pushed hard enough on certain issues, such as M10 AP ammo in CMFI/GL, that I nearly got myself into serious trouble. My means are probably even smaller than yours, but I don't expect BFC to reduce its prices simply because I have little in the way of resources. Instead, I have to save up and weigh carefully what I can afford, what I wish to play and how long I'm willing to/have to wait. For example, I don't own CMFI at all, but I now have the complete CMBN, as well as CMBS, which I pre-ordered in order to get the game for $10 less than at general release, Pre-ordering got me the DL first, the DVD before general release and hard copy CMBS and Game Engine 3.0 manuals. IMO, that was a smart move for me. You have to decide what the right decisions are for you but let go of expecting BFC to follow a marketing and pricing model Steve has directly stated was looked at several times and rejected. 

Well sales decisions are BFs business decisions. So far they see no benefit to them to do so. Companies don't do sales out of some altruistic concern for folks who don't have the money for the full price, they do so to try and wring as much money out of the game as they can.

I agree with sburke,

sales are not some sort of favour the companies do to the players, in fact, if you closely watch the sales you'll see that the normally best selling titles get only an eye candy sale discount (if any), while the heavier discounts hit those games which usually don't sell that much, or didn't sell much in the first place. Keep in mind the reasoning behind sales and you'll see a bit more truth about developers/distributors market behaviours.

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

The simple reason BFC doesn't do flash sales is that it doesn'T give them anything.

THe moment you regularly offer your games at a discount your costumers will start buying during those discounts- and you will have less money at the end of the day.

But then, you might ask, why are there other companies that offer sales?

The reason you'd want a sale is that more people who don't regularly buy your games buy it. If you watch a Steamsale you might see a game where you'd think "Yeah, I might enjoy that!", You wouldn't buy it at a regular price, but buying it at 50% off? Thats a great deal.

This works great for games that will soon go out of retail (which doesn't apply in this case. BFC sellf online) and games that might be enjoyed by a broad audience. As Steve said, CM is a subgenre of a subgenre. You won't find many people who'd buy this in the first place. And those who would will buy it, sale or not.

Thats the reason why you won't see a sale any time soon. CM just isn't mainstream enough,

sigh...its sad to know this..

oh well back to black sea then... 

You can get CMSF + all its module really cheap if you buy them as bundle. CMSF + all 3 modules (which is a LOT of content, probably 5001000 hours of gameplay) cost 55$ in total. You buy CMSF for 15 and then the modules bundle for 40.