What's the deal with the Repository?

Mord

My first CMBS mod took eight days to be posted, then three mods only took one day, and now this last mod I uploaded has been waiting seven days.

What's going on?

Mord.

Hmmm. According to his nick, GaJ seems to be the new Repository Admin - or what?

Perhaps this is a better place to ask the question noone answered in another thread:

what´s with the new title: Repository Admin?

I can´t figure out if that is good or bad news. Does that mean that the repository is going to get up to cmmods standards (hope so)? Or that BFC have "bought a competitor" - and cmmods is getting shut down? :o

And by the way:

I uploaded my Bailey Bridge mod to the repository 12 days ago. Still no show.

Fixed how?

According the list in the Repository the latest three uploads are from:

May 31st

March 22nd

and

December 15th!!!

My own mods uploaded on May 29th are still not there. :(

Edited by umlaut

I got the title somewhat prematurely, as we (BFC and a couple of volunteers) figure out what is possible.   It has surprised everyone involved how long this has had to take - I know I can speak for BFC as well as me about this unexpected amount of time passing.

The only thing the title currently means is "we're experimenting with enabling me to work on it".  

The grand plan (speaking as me, not necessarily BFC) is to try to use the facilities provided by this new forum to make "the repository we'd all like to have" ... at least within the constraints of what you can do with this thing.

A fall back (in my mind) is that if this thing can't actually do a decent job of it, then I may go back to what I was doing before this new forum and its repo capability arrived: a complete revamp of CMMODS.

In the mean time, I have no insight what so ever into the operation of the old BFC repo: it's nothing to do with me.     

GaJ

Edited by GreenAsJade

I think BFC should just scrap the repository.  It has been a sorry stepchild since its inception.  Having it there just leads to expectations that it will work.  At best it has been clunky, slow, and hard to find stuff.  At worst it leads the community to believe that BFC is investing in non-revenue generating activities where the reality is that its not working...leading to disappointment.  Let the community work it out separate from BFC.  I think if BFC just expanded the storage for individuals and consolidated all scenarios and mods into a single thread, it would be better than what we have now.  Otherwise, people are just on their own.

I belive that the repository is a very important part of the modding support for the games. Considering that BFC sells its own CM games directly from the website, a good advertisement of the amount of mods available for the different titles could only be a positive element for the games sells.

For example: given a brand new and shiny repository, I would link the pages containing mods for a given CM title directly to the main selling page of that title. This way a potential customer will not only have a look at the official screenshots but also glaze at the number of available mods for that title.

The actual repository, while being a good will when it came out, it's now outdated, very hard to use for both the downloader and the uploader's points of view.

I am not an expert on the matter, but I hope a better repository will be created sooner than later, because, as for now, the mod distribution is really hard and on the hands of individual modders, and this is a risk for the community, because if a single modder has a problem with his uploads the entire community is screwed with regards to that modder's mods.

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

The grand plan (speaking as me, not necessarily BFC) is to try to use the facilities provided by this new forum to make "the repository we'd all like to have" ... at least within the constraints of what you can do with this thing.

A fall back (in my mind) is that if this thing can't actually do a decent job of it, then I may go back to what I was doing before this new forum and its repo capability arrived: a complete revamp of CMMODS.

Skidegodt, GaJ! (Another obscure pop culture reference)

Thanks for the reply, and good luck with it.

The only thing the title currently means is "we're experimenting with enabling me to work on it".  

The grand plan (speaking as me, not necessarily BFC) is to try to use the facilities provided by this new forum to make "the repository we'd all like to have"

Sounds like a good plan. Thanks for the update.  We have confidence you can do it. 

I think BFC should just scrap the repository.

That's exactly what we are doing :)

GaJ just eluded to the unexpected delays in getting the new Repository setup. All I can say is that the permissions interface and functionality on the backend leaves much to be desired. I'm being quite kind! As for its functionality, it appears to have what people have wanted since the start, which means it is worth going through the frustration of getting it setup and figuring out how to transition the existing content over to it.

Steve

I am not an expert on the matter, but I hope a better repository will be created sooner than later, because, as for now, the mod distribution is really hard and on the hands of individual modders, and this is a risk for the community, because if a single modder has a problem with his uploads the entire community is screwed with regards to that modder's mods.

What do you mean by this?

For example: I uploaded mods on a dedicated service, which is called box or something, if I close the account, or just stop sustain it, people won't be able to download the files anymore, a secure file host would be indeed BFC and their website.

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

Yeah, it has been slow to where it does not look like it is updating at all right now. I just checked an update in the repository I put up a few weeks ago and it is still showing the original upload. It is good to hear improvements are being worked on it with hopefully some keyword or category functionality to make things more easily found. In the meantime, I like the new functionality of the forum to upload to, and have found I have downloaded most mods direct from the thread links. It is also very easy to edit the posts too, which works good for getting rid of out dated uploads and replacing with updated ones. Overall the new forum is SO much better than the former. Great job Battlefront. I look forward to the improved repository. Good to hear GAJ is involved with the project since between CMMODS and the repository I always found his site more user friendly. Thanks for all your contributions to the community GAJ.

Edited by Vinnart