Skill Level: Iron

Playing on Iron mode for the first time today. I noticed that squads out of c2 with their platoon commander did not follow orders. Then when the Platoon commander did show up on scene, it took a hell of a long time for the squads to start responding again.

I never saw this in Elite. This normal?

Was the soft factor morale state of the squad pinned, shaken or panic?  This may cause a squad to ignore orders.  A squad is more likely to be pinned, shaken or panic if it is out of C2.  Getting the squad back into C2 helps it to recover.  Was the squad taking incoming fire and /or recently had casualties? What was the leadership rating of the platoon HQ?  If the HQ had a low rating this may have contributed to the length of time to get the squad to recover and respond.  

Iron mode helps the player to understand the situational awareness of his units.  I don't think it effects the player giving orders to his units at all.  Of course a combination of other factors will effect the giving of orders........          

Was the soft factor morale state of the squad pinned, shaken or panic?  This may cause a squad to ignore orders.  A squad is more likely to be pinned, shaken or panic if it is out of C2.  Getting the squad back into C2 helps it to recover.  Was the squad taking incoming fire and /or recently had casualties? What was the leadership rating of the platoon HQ?  If the HQ had a low rating this may have contributed to the length of time to get the squad to recover and respond.  

Iron mode helps the player to understand the situational awareness of his units.  I don't think it effects the player giving orders to his units at all.  Of course a combination of other factors will effect the giving of orders........          

All of these. I ran an assault with the 3 squads but had to keep the hq back to sight the mortar. The squads got under fire and started to take casualties. I am going to try this one again and check it out. I think I like Iron for the realism. Because this is real.

All of these. I ran an assault with the 3 squads but had to keep the hq back to sight the mortar. The squads got under fire and started to take casualties. I am going to try this one again and check it out. I think I like Iron for the realism. Because this is real.

Then those elements would have been in close to exactly the same state had the same things happened to them playing Elite. The only difference AIUI with Iron and "morale-type" interactions is that the HQ has to actually be spotted by its subordinate element to be contributing its C2 effects, whereas on Elite it just needs to be in range. This might lead to some edge cases where an HQ might be contributing to keeping a unit from Panic or Pin under Elite condition, but not if the game is played at Iron, so there may be some adjusting of "gut feel" for distances and positioning when you make the transition. But in the situation you describe, it sounds like the HQ was nowhere near when the squads got whacked, so wouldn't have been able to help in any difficulty setting.

It is the only mode that gives you the full perspective on your unit's awareness relative to friendly units. If you aren't particulary concerned about this then yeah it is probably not your cup of tea.

Since there's no gameplay difference, then no. Not overly concerned if my squad A can see my squad B. What matters is if they can see their platoon leader, and if they are in C2. And the game already shows you this just fine.

Personally I still prefer Elite - mostly because when watching playback, every time I select a unit to follow, I have to remember to unclick it in order to see the context in which it's operating ( surrounding units etc. ).

This becomes a chore and eventually irritates me.

C2 I can evaluate when selecting a unit or turning on the command lines ( which, incidentally, I find a bit odd in Iron with lines extending to ... blankness ).

Each to their own though. :)

Personally I still prefer Elite - mostly because when watching playback, every time I select a unit to follow, I have to remember to unclick it in order to see the context in which it's operating ( surrounding units etc. ).

This becomes a chore and eventually irritates me.

C2 I can evaluate when selecting a unit or turning on the command lines ( which, incidentally, I find a bit odd in Iron with lines extending to ... blankness ).

Same here

Each to their own though. :)

Yep

• 5 weeks later...

For me IRON would make much more sense, if platoon squads without C2 links (a) first and foremost, would be precluded from receiving orders and (b) would be shown only as a generic symbol, a sort of reminder of their know location of their platoon commander before the C2 link was severed. 

That would be challenging! The way it is now, one just has to click more often on empty terrain, in order to be able to locate each unit and select it.