The Battle of La Ferme Dupont - A CAAR

I think that this was just brilliant. Great style, great story telling. And now that I think about it you concentrating on one area for a while and then going back to another was so natural I did not even realize you were doing it. Nice.

Suggestion for you overview map. Push pins with labels or flags on poles instead of arrows to differentiate between locating and movement.

I think that this was just brilliant. Great style, great story telling. And now that I think about it you concentrating on one area for a while and then going back to another was so natural I did not even realize you were doing it. Nice.

Suggestion for you overview map. Push pins with labels or flags on poles instead of arrows to differentiate between locating and movement.

Thank you Ian. I appreciate the feedback, and the compliments. :)

Bil Hardenberger mentioned the issue with the arrows a few days ago. All the while I thought it was obvious what I was doing, and it shows how assumptions are not a very good thing. He expressed the same thing as you. I shortly after that explored how I could present the same information differently and will use it in the future; I believe it will address both your concerns. Thank you for that!

Operational Analysis:

A number of interesting things came to light as the battle reached it's conclusion.

1st squad had the highest kills in the game, 9 to be exact. Bear in mind they stayed in cover until their advance on the farm, some turns into the game. Their entire repertoire of kills was incurred during the defence of the farm. Their position required an enemy to reach the farm, and to drive out Hirsch's men, and that was going to be difficult.

The second highest kills (7) in the battle were by Kohl's 3rd squad, which is the one that was finally stopped rushing the farm. As I wasn't privy to their identity during the battle, I can't say exactly what they did, but I beleive they were aggressive in fighting from the fields and advancing over the battle to the farm.

The third highest kills were from the HMG 42, which killed six. All of these were done by the time half its crew were killed and it panicked and abandoned its weapon.

It is surprising to find that the rest of the units on both sides did at most two kills, and many had far less. Thirty minutes of battle and so much ammo expended and yet some units had little success. It's interesting to see, and I think rather realistic.

By two thirds into the battle, the loss of Lt. Warner was keenly felt. The absence of a decent leader had a strong impact on the morale of units under heavy fire or taking casualties. This was more serious a problem than could be easily shown in the CAAR. Frequently half my force was hors-de-combat and out of my control. 2nd squad in particular lost its leader early on and thus affected its ability to fight until late in the battle, when the two sections were reunited.

That leads the next observation: Kohl told me that by the end of the battle, all his units had but a few rounds left. On the other hand, 2nd squad had the bulk of its ammo, and an LMG, and was almost at full strength. This made it most welcome by the last quarter of the battle, and likely the most powerful unit in the field on either side.

From mid-battle on - once Hirsch's 1st squad took possession of the farm - the situation became rather static. The charges and my occasional unit panics were really the only movement.

My assessment of enemy casualties was too low; I must have been unable to see some of them. On the other hand, my appraisal of the enemy force size was too high; it turns out I had a slightly larger force than Kohl.

Edited by Bud_B

Lessons learned:

-IG was bad choice. Not mobile, long set up time, and unable to exit deploy area except where it was killed because woods impassable to anything on wheels. Better would have been 1 light mortar to lay down fire and smoke, which was badly needed for cover to get to farm, and another HMG. The combined cost would have been about the cost of the IG.

-HMG was crucial in the battle. As long as it was working, it was almost impossible for the enemy to advance past the point where they were in heavy cover. Two would have been better. German doctrine centered around the MG and for good reason. They are devastatingly effective and ensuring they could work unmpeded would have made me take less losses and maintain better tactical control of the map.

-Their LMG killed the second most people on the American side, despite being brought into play very late in the battle - the last 10 min or so.

-We were unsuccessful in killing a single man behind the hedgerow. This was quite a surprise to me. I thought an HMG, LMG, and countless rifle rounds would eventually kill SOMEONE there!

-I Mistook rifle grenades early on for light mortar fire. I was very concerned about a bombardment initially. That's a matter of inexperience, but it was in retrospect scary that rifle grenades could reach to the rear of my positions.

Great job Bud. I thank you and congratulate you on the completion of a very imaginative and creative project. 

I recommend you tie a string around your finger and remember to only embark on doing this type CAAR with very small battles; intimate and focused...

Or maybe select a specific squad, team, vehicle, crew, etc. within a bigger formation and tell the story through their eyes with occasional references to the big picture being heard over the radio for example.

From my perspective...

1. On impulse I bought an engineer unit, not the best choice for this open field work.

2. water-cooled .30 cal MMG got off on the wrong foot and only came into play towards the end.

3. Flame thrower didn't kill anybody, burned a bunch of leaves and maybe roasted a squirrel.

4. I had only 1 BAR. Not a single Thompson SMG! IIRC.

5. All those demo charges for nothing. Thought to use one over at the farm but "Jessie Owens" got shot!

6. I was robbing the dead of ammo as much as possible.

7. Rifle grenades were great!

Kohl, thank you for a great battle. If people read this CAAR and don't realize how near I was to losing, I didn't express it clearly enough..you gave me a heck of a fight right to the end. Frankly from minute 14 -> 30 I was constantly expecting I was done for.

Edited by Bud_B

Very interesting well done story.  Especially considering you didn't really control what was going to happen and had to go with the action.  I liked the post battle update on the characters, nice touch.  The operational analysis and lessons learned were very interesting.  I hope you always include those in future battles.  A leaders absence and the effect it had on morale is something I am finding more and more important as I play CM.  It is very interesting to hear what other people learn.  

GOOD JOB!  I look forward to the next one.    

Bud,

What a great job you did.  The screenshots were great, your venue of presentation was unique and engaging, and the storyline held interest throughout. 

I still have a great many Sgt. Rock comics, along with some other interesting ones, such as Enemy Ace and Episodes 1, 2, and 5 of a comic titled Blitzkrieg, where the main characters are three German soldiers, Franz, Ludwig, and Hugo.  It didn't last very long so I imagine those are rather rare.  They only made 5 and I missed out on 3 and 4.

I've always loved comics and your CAAR really hit the spot for me.  Thanks for all your hard work on this. It was very appreciated.

Heinrich505

Hey Bud, you should number them on the covers and a date? or at least a month/year.

That's an idea I didn't think of. Since I'm calling my CAARs "A Micro-battle Story" I suppose I should. Good thinking!

Is "somebody's Hero" just a concept or an in production CAAR from our recent QB? :D

This is an illustration of why the narrative, derived-plot CAAR can be a lot of work for a dead end.

"Somebody's Hero" was indeed intended to be a Soviet-perspective CAAR. But our battle was over in 5, maybe 6 minutes? There was not much story to tell, your slaughter of me was so fast! I took a lot of screenshots but there was no much plot, just carnage. Pity. I want to make a go of it but need the right map and I have to get used to Soviet (and Canadian) forces sufficiently to be at least a moderate challenge to you.

Edited by Bud_B

Bud,

What a great job you did.  The screenshots were great, your venue of presentation was unique and engaging, and the storyline held interest throughout. 

I still have a great many Sgt. Rock comics, along with some other interesting ones, such as Enemy Ace and Episodes 1, 2, and 5 of a comic titled Blitzkrieg, where the main characters are three German soldiers, Franz, Ludwig, and Hugo.  It didn't last very long so I imagine those are rather rare.  They only made 5 and I missed out on 3 and 4.

I've always loved comics and your CAAR really hit the spot for me.  Thanks for all your hard work on this. It was very appreciated.

Heinrich505

Heinrich, I'm really pleased to hear from you again. I can't say enough how gratifying it is to hear others enjoyed my work, and that the storyline actually stood out from what is, at its heart, an AAR which technically has no plot, just events in a battle. Cool!

Very interesting well done story. Especially considering you didn't really control what was going to happen and had to go with the action. I liked the post battle update on the characters, nice touch. The operational analysis and lessons learned were very interesting. I hope you always include those in future battles. A leaders absence and the effect it had on morale is something I am finding more and more important as I play CM. It is very interesting to hear what other people learn.

GOOD JOB! I look forward to the next one.

Thanks very much, Intelligence Analyst! :P

Yeah, the story seemed incomplete without some denouement for the characters, something for the reader to feel that at least this part of their life is over, but there's another to come.

I wanted to include something of an appraisal of what I gathered (and I'm happy to be corrected in my conclusions) as well as to give a feel for the little bits that don't quite fit in a narrative, but would possibly be Included in a conventional AAR. Hence the ops analysis and lessons learned.

Glad you enjoyed it!!

Edited by Bud_B

I do have a question for readers: I used Pop! as the sound effect for rifles. Someone mentioned it early on as a peculiar choice. I always associated Bang! with pistols. And real rifle fire always sounded to me more like a popping noise.

Any suggestions for what I should use? Do I keep Pop! as my own stylistic statement?

Edited by Bud_B

I do have a question for readers: I used Pop! as the sound effect for rifles. Someone mentioned it early on as a peculiar choice. I always associated Bang! with pistols. And real rifle fire always sounded to me more like a popping noise.

Any suggestions for what I should use? Do I keep Pop! as my own stylistic statement?

For me 'pop' is more the sound of a mortar, so yes, perhaps it is wise to use another word. Perhaps 'Blam', which you also use sometimes. Personally I always think a rifle sounds more like 'Koooffff', but that is hardly suitable for a cartoon. ;)

Most things have already been said, like the IG not being a good choice. Also please consider adding some more details about the units involved. I love that sort of background information, it really draws me in.

I think your series show once more the potential of CM and how little we make use of it, Bud. If Wargamer.com or another site would publish it, it would no doubt result in a lot of people buying these games. Very exiting stuff.

Edited by Aragorn2002

Thanks, Aragorn. I can see why you might feel mortars are what makes a Pop! sound.

I kept Blam! for some form of HE explosions, but I also know some comics use that for gunfire, so it's a good suggestion, and use Boom! instead.

I may have to rethink all my effect representations at this rate!

I think your series show once more the potential of CM and how little we make use of it, Bud. If Wargamer.com or another site would publish it, it would no doubt result in a lot of people buying these games. Very exciting stuff.

I am certainly open to the idea. I'm not sure what Steve would think of it - or even if he finds this remotely interesting, let alone a promotional tool.

On the other hand, if Steve thought it would be fun and helpful, I'd be happy to do a CAAR of the Bulge game before it comes out, to stimulate interest. :D

Edited by Bud_B

Bil Hardenberger mentioned the issue with the arrows a few days ago.

Yeah, I did not want to pile on back then. I took the time to come up with some alternative for ya.

All the while I thought it was obvious what I was doing, and it shows how assumptions are not a very good thing.

That so often is the case - it seems fine to me... I like your thoughts on making improvements and adjustments. Looking forward to the next one - which I am sure will be even better.

Thanks very much, Intelligence Analyst! :P

LOL.   :D  You figured out my handle.  In the 1980s that was the nomenclature for an Intelligence Analyst, E-5, Airborne.  My icon is the crest of the 313 Military Intelligence Battalion / 82 Airborne Division.  I worked in the Division G2.  Interesting, exciting stuff to do when your young.  Nice attention to detail figuring out that jumble of letters & numbers.   

Enough reminiscing.  You have work to do!  More CAARs! :)         

Lessons learned:

-IG was bad choice. Not mobile, long set up time, and unable to exit deploy area except where it was killed because woods impassable to anything on wheels. Better would have been 1 light mortar to lay down fire and smoke, which was badly needed for cover to get to farm, and another HMG. The combined cost would have been about the cost of the IG.

-HMG was crucial in the battle. As long as it was working, it was almost impossible for the enemy to advance past the point where they were in heavy cover. Two would have been better. German doctrine centered around the MG and for good reason. They are devastatingly effective and ensuring they could work unmpeded would have made me take less losses and maintain better tactical control of the map.

-Their LMG killed the second most people on the American side, despite being brought into play very late in the battle - the last 10 min or so.

-We were unsuccessful in killing a single man behind the hedgerow. This was quite a surprise to me. I thought an HMG, LMG, and countless rifle rounds would eventually kill SOMEONE there!

-I Mistook rifle grenades early on for light mortar fire. I was very concerned about a bombardment initially. That's a matter of inexperience, but it was in retrospect scary that rifle grenades could reach to the rear of my positions.

This is always the most interesting part of an AAR for me; the break down and self-critique. No. 1 reason to play CM: Its good mental floss. The entire AAR was great to follow and read, thanks for doing it.

I agree with the mortar assessment, I love IGs but its not something I would reinforce a Zug with unless it was for zone defense and in a prepared position.

Surest thing to take out enemies behind a hedge is indirect fire, you'd be surprised how much of a beating you can take; my latest match saw a local counterattack by my opponent; about half a platoon supported by a Stummel. He ran into a blocking force behind low bocage and couldn't dislodge them despite sustained howitzer fire, only a handful of men lightly wounded. 

On that note, I just want to point out how rare it is for me to see a German rifle platoon actually sustain more casualties than a "defender" in a victory. 

Edited by Rinaldi