Unofficial Screenshots & Videos Thread

agusto

Easy spotting works two ways. Syrian ATGM left a contact icon behind for a lack of fire discipline. The two snipers were not used for sniping but for spotting. They observed the reactions of the Syrians when they observed two Scimitars dashing over the road. I won't mention the archaic tactics of the T55's dug in. It looks like the designer wants me to shoot at them. CMBS looks like an interesting game with more advanced technology. Thanks for enlightening more about this game. I include a screenshot; snipers are more often used for spotting than sniping.

Mettle.jpg

• 1 month later...

The phenomenon of units' AI being able to find a tiny/pixel-wide gap, that would be impossible to find by eye-balling, through dense trees is well-known.  It's great when it's your unit finds that gap,  Not so fine when the enemy kills your unit(s) when you think you are perfectly safe behind a dense wall of trees.  

It's on the Odd and Weird Phenomenon list.

4 minutes ago, sid_burn said:

Is this confirmed true? I know I've heard similar things from veteran players like @Erwin but I know some like Rinaldi really seem to disagree so I'm never sure.

You will never get a confirmation as they keep these things a secret, but everything points in this direction.

I played these games since Beyond Overlord and you find out what works and what doesn't. Hardcover, cover, and concealment is generic. Let the AI decide 90 % of the time eyeballing gives you an idea so does plotting LOS from way points. My point, take a house or building for example. Just one room houses, it gives some protection. Concealment it depends how the algorithm calculates it. A crack or elite enemy will spot you somewhere in the bushes. Play a quick battel on Hotseat against yourself setting, scenario author setting. Test you grazing and plunging fire from the weapons platoon as well as your small arms. Effectiveness of artillery there are no secrets everyone has the same tools. 

On 3/21/2021 at 4:00 PM, sid_burn said:
On 3/21/2021 at 3:07 PM, Bufo said:

Trees are just there as a representation. LOS is a dice roll.

Is this confirmed true? I know I've heard similar things from veteran players like @Erwin but I know some like Rinaldi really seem to disagree so I'm never sure.

Nope.

Check out this thread which has an interesting discussion and this response from Steve which sheds light on how things actually work:

20 minutes ago, IanL said:

Nope.

Check out this thread which has an interesting discussion and this response from Steve which sheds light on how things actually work:

Foliage density * random chance. Its all abstracted. Not what you see.

2 hours ago, Bufo said:

Not what you see.

That's true.

2 hours ago, Bufo said:

Foliage density * random chance.

That's not true.

Now speaking about CMBS. Trees have some sort of ellipses (that's my best guess as to approximating function :)to represent the tree crown. I don't have exact numbers from testing but in my experience they're different for different kinds of in-game trees. They're matched to visuals as best as humanly (CPU?) possible. Since it's a best match to the actual trees so tree crowns do not start from the bottom of the trunk. In many cases you can see through the tree crowns yet your pixeltruppen won't. Knowing when they won't one can use it to his/her advantage by moving behind those ellipses where you H2H opponent may see you yet have no way to shoot at you :)

I'd say CMBS LOS is the best in class! :)

Edited by IMHO

48 minutes ago, Rinaldi said:

That little BP and what happened in the next couple of minutes broke @Trasher's will to continue. 

?

In my experience LOS in CMBS is pretty predictable. Just one needs to think not in terms of WYSIWYG but in terms of those ellipsoids-for-tree-crowns and tree trunks (that are not much of a concealment yet block the shells pretty well). IMO CMBS uses the best possible proxy for discovery - everything else would have increased the load hundreds of times for negligible improvement in gameplay. My guess is we have this discussion in CMBS thread because discovery in CMBS is maxed out so the difference between LOS and LOF is minimal. In my experience it's rather the opposite for CMBS - in many cases pixeltruppen tend to open fire having a clear LOS but no clear LOF. But guess there should be some logic in LOS-LOF buried deep down in the code. Yet TacAI way of thinking seems clear and predictable IMO.

Edited by IMHO

16 minutes ago, IMHO said:

?

You must have missed what sparked the discussion: https://imgur.com/FIB5gco - someone clearly thought there was something strange about the line of sight when I pulled this off. The view from the turret was shown here. Pretty clear line of sight, in my view, even with the technical steps that need to be taken to prevent our CPUs from exploding. 

Let me be clear; I have no idea what the gooblygook people who posted before yourself and Ian are are on about. Some people speak with authority on the game with a particularly ill-found confidence. 

Edited by Rinaldi

19 minutes ago, Rinaldi said:

You must have missed what sparked the discussion: https://imgur.com/FIB5gco - someone clearly thought there was something strange about this feat. The view from the turret was shown here.

I see now. The tank was looking (and was seen) through the tree trunks so with my preference for CMBS I didn't get the point. I'd say if someone has ever seen forests with little undergrowth (say mostly birch or many of pine forests) it would be an example of how CM is good rather than bad at representing concealment. In most (or rather all :)games we just get a generic forest with no differentiation between LOS through trunks or tree crowns. And in CMBS it does matter.

PS Am I using "tree crown" correctly?

Edited by IMHO

• 2 weeks later...

This has been sitting in my capture folder for over year...

This is from a scenario I played long ago which I'm pretty sure I lost but even in loosing, opportunities for small victories present themselves. Here a squad shows that at least one of them has nerves of steel. Thankfully it was the Javelin operator. He maintained his composure while everyone else was ducking for cover
20210401094726-2ff7d6da.jpg

and got the shot off
20210401094729-38b4a93e.jpg

With the desired results
20210401094732-6f165d8d.jpg

20210401094721-4e7ee6e5.gif

Afterwards his squad mates renewed their resolve
20210401094734-1edd943f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/1/2015 at 8:26 AM, Dark_Swordmaster said:

New ATGM defense system.

That rubber banding happens a quite bit in Going to Town, sometimes with the tank, other times with a BMP, but I've never seen it with the Tunguska! 

• 1 month later...

Look there's a Ukrainian BTR-70 coming! We have an RPG-7, and 4 RPG-26s. Get them!

CM-Black-Sea-2021-06-29-11-31-56.png

To be on the safe side, let's fire all our AT weapons! 5 projectiles away!

(the fifth is aimed so high it is not visible on the screenshot)

CM-Black-Sea-2021-06-29-11-31-20.png

Of course, all of them missed...

CM-Black-Sea-2021-06-29-11-31-56.png

Edited by Bufo

• 2 months later...