CM Black Sea – BETA Battle Report - Russian Side

Anyone remember the Greek trials for tanks back in... 2006 I think?  The Shtora system on the Russian tank was 100% mitigated by the LRF on the M1A2.  It didnt detected it whatsoever.  At first, this looked like it was due to the system being outright non-functional, but when you look at it it makes sense.

Was it in test program?

Bil,

I think you are simply the victim of a scenario that has a serious force imbalance.  You are not fighting at just a disadvantage, you are facing overwhelming opposition.

Personally as someone who has loved your many beta battles, it would have been far more enjoyable to watch you from a position similar to C3K after you wiped out his tanks in Market Garden.  Watching the interplay between you two as he engaged in nearly wreaklous heroics which actually succeeded in thwarting you which was reminescent of the 1st Airborne amazing resistance to the German counterattack.

See saw battles are so much more enjoyable.

I truly appreciate all the effort that you put into making these battles so enjoyable to follow (and make us all want to buy the game).  Whatever the outcome, there is no shame in losing against a stacked deck.

Chris

Thanks Chris... there is no way I can win this one, my goal now is to cause him as much pain as possible before I fall, at least make his victory a Pyrrhic victory.   ;)

Thanks Chris... there is no way I can win this one, my goal now is to cause him as much pain as possible before I fall, at least make his victory a Pyrrhic victory.   ;)

This isn't the kind of battle where I am used to see you fighting, Bil - it will be interesting to see what kind of tactics you come up with. I have only seen you just once really playing on the defensive (a CMBN scenario on the bocage, where your command was a company of German parachutists). You really put the grief on your opponent in that one, establishing killzones and pulling back when his force became overwhelming.

The biggest challenge I see in this - new battle - is that it isn't obvious how can you use the terrain as a force multiplier. I am not sure what you can use: the sensor platforms on the US forces seem to basically turn pretty much everything but thick concrete walls (or reverse slopes) as useless for concealment. If nothing can be hidden from the Lidless Eye, the alternative is to create a "distraction". And I am skeptical that is possible with the current arrangement of the playing pieces.

But the North Korean guys can totally work with a US Pyrrhic victory :)

Edited by BletchleyGeek

Continuing the T-90 vs. M1 debate, CM Black Sea is the first CM title to allow aphibious vehicle river crossing, a significant tactical advantage for the Russians imho.

Regarding the huge weight difference between the tanks, are there bridges in Ukraine that could carry a T-90 weight but not a M1's? If this was the case, it would be another tactical advantage.

One thing that is not modelled at this level is the fuel consumption and maintenance overheads for each tank which I imagine would give the T-90 an advantage in logistical supplies needed.

Continuing the T-90 vs. M1 debate, CM Black Sea is the first CM title to allow aphibious vehicle river crossing, a significant tactical advantage for the Russians imho.

Regarding the huge weight difference between the tanks, are there bridges in Ukraine that could carry a T-90 weight but not a M1's? If this was the case, it would be another tactical advantage.

One thing that is not modelled at this level is the fuel consumption and maintenance overheads for each tank which I imagine would give the T-90 an advantage in logistical supplies needed.

Making river crossings as smooth as possible, thus not losing the operational tempo, was always important in Soviet doctrine. There are a lot of rivers in Central and Eastern Europe, moreover quite a few flow the south to the north (or vice versa). So you can either cross them or find a gap between them, for example the Smolensk area in Russia which witnessed some heavy fighting in WWII.

However, making vehicles able to amphibiously cross rivers comes at a price of course. It usually means that weight must be realtively low, sacrificing some survivability. I find it interesting that, even though Poland is member of NATO for some time, it was decided that Polish Patra AMVs should be amphibious.As far as I know Strykers, being roughly similar to Patria vehicles, are not amphibious. And when time came to send AMVs to Afghanistan, the swimming ability was removed (not many rivers there) and additional armor fitted to make the vehicle resistant to 14,5 mm AP. As a result, many argue here that insisting on amphibious capability is simply some leftover idea from Warsaw Pact times. I don't know who is right though :)

Yeah, great AAR. But i expect nothing less of you than a fight till the last breath, the last drop of blood, the last round of ammunation! Make pnzrldr pay for every inch of ground! Ideally you force him to clear out your remaining forces from the woods and the buildings in the south and east of the map in man to man combat. Dont be to bothered by losses in men, equipment or the prospect of loosing the battle. You have lots of people watching and enjoying your struggle.

This isn't the kind of battle where I am used to see you fighting, Bil - it will be interesting to see what kind of tactics you come up with. I have only seen you just once really playing on the defensive (a CMBN scenario on the bocage, where your command was a company of German parachutists). You really put the grief on your opponent in that one, establishing killzones and pulling back when his force became overwhelming.

Yeah I'm sorry I couldn't finish that AAR too.. but I lost all the files in an upgrade.  :(

By the way, my opponent in that battle was none less than pnzrldr.  He does tend to move without proper recon and it can cost him... he does it again in the next turn (I'll post the report on it tonight).  Must be the audacious armor officer in him, balls to the wall, don't mind the flanks!

The biggest challenge I see in this - new battle - is that it isn't obvious how can you use the terrain as a force multiplier. I am not sure what you can use: the sensor platforms on the US forces seem to basically turn pretty much everything but thick concrete walls (or reverse slopes) as useless for concealment. If nothing can be hidden from the Lidless Eye, the alternative is to create a "distraction". And I am skeptical that is possible with the current arrangement of the playing pieces.

But the North Korean guys can totally work with a US Pyrrhic victory  :)

The terrain in this one is difficult.. the biggest problem I have is the equipment quality disparity.. that will be more challenging.  Also the lack of any dismounted ATGMs is something I sorely miss.  

Making river crossings as smooth as possible, thus not losing the operational tempo, was always important in Soviet doctrine. There are a lot of rivers in Central and Eastern Europe, moreover quite a few flow the south to the north (or vice versa). So you can either cross them or find a gap between them, for example the Smolensk area in Russia which witnessed some heavy fighting in WWII.

However, making vehicles able to amphibiously cross rivers comes at a price of course. It usually means that weight must be realtively low, sacrificing some survivability. I find it interesting that, even though Poland is member of NATO for some time, it was decided that Polish Patra AMVs should be amphibious.As far as I know Strykers, being roughly similar to Patria vehicles, are not amphibious. And when time came to send AMVs to Afghanistan, the swimming ability was removed (not many rivers there) and additional armor fitted to make the vehicle resistant to 14,5 mm AP. As a result, many argue here that insisting on amphibious capability is simply some leftover idea from Warsaw Pact times. I don't know who is right though :)

Natural barriers, such as rivers which are a major feature of European geography including that of Poland, have played and will play an important role in all wars, and if your army can ignore them then all the more power to you. Or less power to your enemy, perhaps, as it means that they will need to fortify areas which would be normally unapproachable. Amphibious troop transports are one part of a solution, but not the only one. Airborne troops, Bailey bridges and vehicle deployed bridges, assault boats or brute force to capture intact bridges have all been used, with varying results. But amphibious troop transports are an organic asset and as such greatly enhance a unit's ability to swiftly cross rivers instead of waiting for combat engineers to come and help you out. Just think of the lengths the Allies went to secure a few river crossings in Operation Market Garden!

Yeah I'm sorry I couldn't finish that AAR too.. but I lost all the files in an upgrade. :(

By the way, my opponent in that battle was none less than pnzrldr. He does tend to move without proper recon and it can cost him... he does it again in the next turn (I'll post the report on it tonight). Must be the audacious armor officer in him, balls to the wall, don't mind the flanks!

The terrain in this one is difficult.. the biggest problem I have is the equipment quality disparity.. that will be more challenging. Also the lack of any dismounted ATGMs is something I sorely miss.

Are still US armor tactical guidelines dismissing the high ground? Or that idea was eventually abandoned?

Re: dismounted ATGMs. I would have expected the Russian heavy infantry to have AT-14 on their BMPs, similarly as US heavy infantry and NATO do have Javelin or Milan on their IFVs. That's an interesting assymmetry.

Looking forward to the next update.

I'm not sure what the BMP-3 has in it. However, the ATGM from the BMP-1 and BMP-2 are dismountable.

Edit: Not in game.

A ground mount is carried in the vehicle which allows the rifle squad to remove the ATGM and take it with them.

Its a Bastion; its fired from the 100mm barrel, and therefore is not dismountable. 

I believe in SF to circumvent the lack of dismountable ATGMs, BMP2 and BMP1 recon platoons had an ATGM team attached and already mounted. 

Edited by Rinaldi

...This could get ugly, and it could be over quickly depending on how strong the US force is.  Truthfully, I would be comfortable, were I in Scott's shoes, attacking this Russian force with one US company team, two platoons of Bradleys and one platoon of M1s... that's all it would require.

Something more like this, maybe?

Saavik: Permission to speak freely, sir?

Kirk: Granted.

Saavik: I do not believe this was a fair test of my command abilities.

Kirk: And why not?

Saavik: Because... there was no way to win.

Kirk: A no-win situation is a possibility every commander may face. Has that never occurred to you?

Saavik: No, sir, it has not.

The Seventeenth Minute

The Company Team in the south continued to move laterally across the front of 1st MRC... however, Scott ran a couple M1s straight into my initial defense line... his tanks absorbed a lot of fire, RPGs, 100mm ATGM from BMPs, 30mm fire... as seen in the following gifs.. no damage was noted, but I hope he suffered some degradation to sensors.

First M1A2 comes over the top right on top of one of my RPG teams... and into the line of fire of two of my BMPs:  

BMP%2Bv%2BM1A2%2B%231.gif

The second M1A2 went further into the gully and catches an ATGM and a handful of 30 mike mike.  These two tanks seem to be his flank protection...

BMP%2Bv%2BM1A2%2B%232.gif

One of my forward RPG teams gets a bead on a Fire Support Bradley putting a hole in the turret... this happened at the end of the turn so status is unknown.. but that had to cause some damage, perhaps even a KO.

RPG%2Bv%2BBradley%2BFSO.gif

FSO%2BVehicle.JPG

1st%2BMRC.JPG

The US Company Team in the North moved very little.. obviously setting up for a move on 2nd MRC... which loses another BMP this turn.. (the BMP that was unhorsed several turns ago by Scott's RPG gunner never was able to be recrewed).

Compnay%2BTeam%2BNorth.JPG

If Scott continues to advance at this slow pace he will still be in this area when my air arrives in 8 turns (all of it, two helicopters, and the surviving SU-25.. yes, after further review I did lose that first SU-25 to Scott's AA fire a few turns ago).

2nd%2BMRC.JPG

I owe you guys a Blood Board.. sorry, but I won't be able to get to that util tomorrow.

Edited by Bil Hardenberger

I see that an M1 was hit on the side by an ATGM from the BMP-3 but the reactive armor saved it. THe missile fired by the BMP_3 has a tandem warhead with 700-750mm of penetration after ERA, Should have made it through anywhere on the sides even with ERA.

Edited by antaress73