CM Black Sea – BETA Battle Report - Russian Side

Okay, we are definitely going to move on from this one.  Sorry about that, but I will finish up the final two turns that I have that work and try to bring this to some sort of conclusion.  In reality, any Russian force would probably start to withdraw from this AO as soon as the American force arrived in such overwhelming numbers and with such dominating combat power.

I want to tip my hat to Scott as he has proven himself a more than worthy opponent.  I am really looking forward to sitting down and reading Scott's thread to see his take on events.

Is the scenario you two were playing in the release version of the game? What is it called? Oh, and even if you could not bring this AAR to an end, it definately served its purpose of getting people interested in the game. I got my copy with 6 hours after the release.

Edited by agusto

Bil,

I saw the US/UKR latest info first, and my questions there are now moot. Quite the game, and I'd say this Beta game between you and pnzrldr, coupled with ChrisND's videos, were instrumental in getting me to buy CMBS. I certainly did have a longstanding interest in modern tactical warfare before, including my wargaming background, personal studies, a depressing outing with AH's could've been great but bore no resemblance to reality MBT and my work as a Soviet Threat Analyst, but to see the matured versions of weapons I knew, or were aborning, in combat was both engrossing and practically terrifying. The carnage per unit time would've been unbelievable, had I not figured out the overall OpTempo and lethality trends decades ago, but it was still shattering to behold.  Thanks very much for doing this, and it's a shame the Beta went into an irrecoverable spin!

If you never served in the US military, it's just as well for the enemy, for you are a combat machine. Every time you play in a Beta I learn at great deal, but if I'm ever to beat you, you need to stop improving while I devote a year to playing against tough opponents. Then, I might have a chance. Or I could simply play you, get walloped, and come back a few months later after thoroughly analyzing my thousand mistakes! But even one would likely be game fatal.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

I saw the US/UKR latest info first, and my questions there are now moot. Quite the game, and I'd say this Beta game between you and pnzrldr, coupled with ChrisND's videos, were instrumental in getting me to buy CMBS. 

Let me say that I also feel a bit like John - without this AAR or Chris' videos I'd have just passed on CMBS, at least for a while.

Okay, we are definitely going to move on from this one.  Sorry about that, but I will finish up the final two turns that I have that work and try to bring this to some sort of conclusion.  In reality, any Russian force would probably start to withdraw from this AO as soon as the American force arrived in such overwhelming numbers and with such dominating combat power.

I want to tip my hat to Scott as he has proven himself a more than worthy opponent.  I am really looking forward to sitting down and reading Scott's thread to see his take on events.

Bil,

Your skills demonstrated the New Modern - Black Sea very well.

Yes, any Russian force would withdraw facing such dominating combat power. You stuck in very well facing overwhelming numbers your forces faced.

Nothing better than TWO worthy opponents showing us how to deal the cards dealt... in Black Sea.

Salutes,

Buzz

Bil,

I saw the US/UKR latest info first, and my questions there are now moot. Quite the game, and I'd say this Beta game between you and pnzrldr, coupled with ChrisND's videos, were instrumental in getting me to buy CMBS. I certainly did have a longstanding interest in modern tactical warfare before, including my wargaming background, personal studies, a depressing outing with AH's could've been great but bore no resemblance to reality MBT and my work as a Soviet Threat Analyst, but to see the matured versions of weapons I knew, or were aborning, in combat was both engrossing and practically terrifying. The carnage per unit time would've been unbelievable, had I not figured out the overall OpTempo and lethality trends decades ago, but it was still shattering to behold.  Thanks very much for doing this, and it's a shame the Beta went into an irrecoverable spin!

If you never served in the US military, it's just as well for the enemy, for you are a combat machine. Every time you play in a Beta I learn at great deal, but if I'm ever to beat you, you need to stop improving while I devote a year to playing against tough opponents. Then, I might have a chance. Or I could simply play you, get walloped, and come back a few months later after thoroughly analyzing my thousand mistakes! But even one would likely be game fatal.

Regards,

John Kettler

Thanks John, yes modern warfare is indeed brutal, unforgiving, and extremely fast paced.  by the way, I would play you anytime.. and I suspect you would do better than you think... with your ability to analyze and with your equipment knowledge I have no doubt you would be a worthy opponent for anybody.  Let me know when you are ready for a game.

Bil,

Your skills demonstrated the New Modern - Black Sea very well.

Yes, any Russian force would withdraw facing such dominating combat power. You stuck in very well facing overwhelming numbers your forces faced.

Nothing better than TWO worthy opponents showing us how to deal the cards dealt... in Black Sea.

Salutes,

Buzz

Thanks Buzz.. I still have two turns to write up for you guys.. so the AAR is not quite over yet.. then I want to do a full game analysis, but we'll see how much energy I have by then.  ;)

Thanks Buzz.. I still have two turns to write up for you guys.. so the AAR is not quite over yet.. then I want to do a full game analysis, but we'll see how much energy I have by then.   ;)

"a full game analysis".... Excellent and Educational.

Thanks Bil

Buzz

Is the scenario you two were playing in the release version of the game? What is it called? Oh, and even if you could not bring this AAR to an end, it definately served its purpose of getting people interested in the game. I got my copy with 6 hours after the release.

I doubt the version Scott and I played was in the release game... Lights camera Action is the scenario this was based on.. that one might be included.. it'll be far different than this one was though I'm sure.

Just want to thank both you and Pnzrldr for doing these AARs. 

Its a shame it cut early, but if Pnzr reads this I really do hope he seriously compiles his AAR into a .pdf; it would make for good reading. I'll take the liberty of thanking you on behalf of everyone who asked questions for taking the time to answer them almost universally, no matter how incessant (Like mine!).

Edited by Rinaldi

Bil -- my thanks to you as well for this excellent AAR. I've never been much of a modern warfare grog, but you've started an itch that I'm now beginning to scratch (a rather intimate analogy, I recognize... :huh: !!). The complexity of the weaponry, the increased reliance on maintaining proper battlefield communications, and the overall speed of combat...tantalizing stuff. 

Nice presentation, and I think you put up a good fight Bil. I would have like to see it go to the end, but I am sure that many M1s would have ground you down sooner or later. It was an unusual, interesting scenario, but to be honest i would have rather seen you two fight out a more balanced meeting engagement battle. Thanks for putting the time into an entertaining follow along.

Edited by Vinnart

• 4 weeks later...

Wow. I just finished reading this in one sitting. The whole AAR. I could not put my iPad down; instead I'd relocate around the house LOL.

Fantastic write-up, Bil. I really enjoyed it. As always, your commentary is brilliant and your strategy was impressive. It's too bad you were unable to finish.

I really hope to see you do one for Bulge.

Hello, I have a question to the development team:
Where do you get information about the performance characteristics of armored vehicles & weapons (including munition and armor).

I apologize for my bad English.

Здравствуйте , у меня вопрос к разработчикам . Откуда вы черпали информацию о тактико-технической характеристике бронетехнике и вооружения , к этому относится боеприпасы и  бронирование .