I have found my love.

This game.

This is the first Combat Mission I've purchased(and not the last).

I used to think that I was a great tactician, but I was wrong. After playing through the Russian campaign on "warrior" difficulty, I have learned more in four days about realistic tactics than I learned in years of gaming otherwise.

I'm not sure why people argue that WEGO is the more realistic path to take. I've seen people say "it takes a while for orders to arrive", but it doesn't take an order from the company commander to know to move and duck for cover when you discover an AA gun, machinegun, or AT gun. I.E.: One of my last full squads of solders was mowed down by an AT gun, I was playing on WEGO and couldn't stop them from running towards it once it was discovered.

I faced defeat on half of the missions, however, the campaign continued anyways. I'd prefer it this way. I don't want to be stuck. I'll be back to have victory in those battles on iron mode. One day...

This game just has me drooling at CMFI and CMBN. They are complete and have expansions. So much content, it will never end.

I mean this literally. I'm not sure I'll ever play another game again. What WON'T pale in comparison to this?

I know it takes a certain kind of grognard to enjoy this. I'm getting older. I guess this is how my tastes are changing. I feel no shame.

This thread is nothing particularly productive. Just sharing my newly found love for a hidden gem of a game.

Close Combat is not half bad, either!( I still can't bring myself to play it instead of this.

Nice first post Squallion, welcome aboard. What I like about wego is the suspense: for a full minute you have no real control, I like the feeling of chaos this brings. And, with wego you can replay the fun bits and make movies. And yet I understand others' preference for RT. The main thing is you're enjoying it. You've got a lot to look forward to :)

You're mistaken-its not love. Its a disease. Quit while you still are able to.

Soon you will looking at mods, then you will be wondering why can't they do Viet-Nam, the Arab-Israeli and modern Asia.

You will then start watching videos on you-tube. You will be lying in bed watching videos on your mobile device.

Then you will start h2h and its all over.

You're mistaken-its not love. Its a disease. Quit while you still are able to.

Soon you will looking at mods, then you will be wondering why can't they do Viet-Nam, the Arab-Israeli and modern Asia.

You will then start watching videos on you-tube. You will be lying in bed watching videos on your mobile device.

Then you will start h2h and its all over.

What is H2H?

Head to head- playing against people rather than against the Artificial Intelligence of the game. It's much more challenging and much, much more rewarding. But it is appropriate to learn the game at first by playing the campaigns, which can not be played h2h.

Glad to have your enthusiasm here; it is entirely warranted.

Head to head- playing against people rather than against the Artificial Intelligence of the game. It's much more challenging and much, much more rewarding. But it is appropriate to learn the game at first by playing the campaigns, which can not be played h2h.

Glad to have your enthusiasm here; it is entirely warranted.

Playing against a human is a good way to get my face stomped. Maybe in a year or more XD.

I waited a long time before playing other people (in the earliest Combat Mission games), and ended up wishing I'd not waited so long. I have great admiration for a friend of mine, whom I beat about six times in a row, in his first games, and was still having too much fun to get discouraged. A good example for all players, new or old.

My computer gaming has revolved around Combat Mission since the days of CMBO. I feel jealous of you that you are just starting your journey.

Welcome to the rabbit hole that is CM - there is no bottom.

One word of advice. Check out the mods and player created missions and campaigns. They make an already wonderful experience incredible and are a breeze to put into your CM games.

Playing against a human is a good way to get my face stomped. Maybe in a year or more XD.

I wouldn't worry about getting beat. Most h2h players are good people and not like the online community you'll encounter elsewhere.

Campaigns and stand alone battles are fun, but you may develop habit that you'll have to unlearn once you start playing h2h.

I used to think that I was a great tactician, but I was wrong.

Welcome to the club of "I've played combat mission" pretty much :)

I don't think anyone who plays CM hasn't had this moment of revelation :)

In CMBO it was the "OMG! Tigers aren't invincible" moment.

In CMBB it was the "OMG! T-34's aren't super-tanks" moment.

In CMAK it was the "OMG! Fighting in open desert terrain SUCKS!" moment.

In CMBN it was the "OMG! Infantry is so fragile" moment.

In CMFI it was the "OMG! Flak is HELL on infantry and tanks" moment.

And in CMRT it was the "OMG! Those 85's hurt like hell!" moment :)

as for the WEGO vs RT thing... It's just a matter of personal taste. Both have unrealistic advantages and disadvantages.

I play WEGO because I like the lack of control. The chaos that the battlefield gives.

But I also like to be able to look at the action from different angles (and even record it at a later date if I save during the action phase).

You should try it sometime.

It taught me the value of a minute.

ALOT can happen in a minute.

Old grizzled CM veterans reading posts by newbies about falling in love with the game is rather like a married couple walking down the street and the husband catches passing strangers giving admiring glances to his wife. It serves to remind him why he married her in the first place. :)

Thanks for all of the welcomes, advice, and opinions, gentlemen. :D

My foray into multiplayer is out of sight. I simply enjoy single player too much. I enjoy sort of roleplaying, taking the time to remember the men that actually died in the war. It hits a sweet spot for me. I have several iterations of singleplayer before I go H2H.

Thanks for all of the welcomes, advice, and opinions, gentlemen. :D

My foray into multiplayer is out of sight. I simply enjoy single player too much. I enjoy sort of roleplaying, taking the time to remember the men that actually died in the war. It hits a sweet spot for me. I have several iterations of singleplayer before I go H2H.

take your time, the point is to enjoy it. I'd agree with the others that HTH takes it to a different level in that a human is far more capable than the AI. It doesn't take away from just enjoying a game in single player mode though. There are some really great scenarios out there.

Don't forget to play with the editor as well. That is a whole other area that I think not enough folks really take the time to appreciate. Check out the stuff Umlaut and Juju have been doing. Phenomenal over the top creation effort. Most of us don't have the skill set displayed in their effort, but that doesn't mean you can't still have some fun with it.

take your time, the point is to enjoy it. I'd agree with the others that HTH takes it to a different level in that a human is far more capable than the AI.

The one thing the AI lacks is deviousness.

I had a friend of mine convinced that I had a big complement of Panthers in one battle (he swore I had 5), when I really had two and were running their a$$es off back and forth between a couple of vantage points via a covered approach.

Eventually he got eyes next to the road I was using and was shocked to see a Panther go flying past while displacing to a different vantage point. After that my plan was toast, but it sure was fun while it lasted.