[WIP] Juju's 'The railyard at Pitrovsk' project

Hello and welcome to Juju's 'The railyard at Pitrovsk' project (TRaP, from here on) work-in-progress thread. Here I will take you through a ‘guided tour’ and tell you all about the stuff I'm working on.

So, what’s this TRaP project? Sounds intriguing.

It's an attempt to combine map, mods and scenario in order to create a specific atmosphere which (dare I say it) hopefully elevates it to a higher level of immersion. Maybe some of these ideas are picked up by others, or even BFC, and developed further.

First of all, let's all NOT take this one too seriously and have a little bit of fun with it. This is my first attempt at making a map and scenario and some elements of this projects may seem a bit quirky and 'out there' to some of you. It's a 'casual' project and not intended to be historically correct or aimed at grogs or history buffs.

Tall talk, lad. What does TRaP offer that I haven't seen before, then (stifled yawn)?

There's the map. My very first one, I might add. It covers the fictional town of Pitrovsk but centers on its prize target: the railyard at Pitrovsk. The map is crammed with oodles of details and flavor objects. I’ve hand-placed approximately 960 (give or take a few) of the things and many have tiny little stories behind them, if you use your imagination a little. I even went as far as researching the common distance between telephone poles in rural and urban areas and along rail lines.

Uh-huh. Been there, done that. T-shirt. What else you got?

Well, there are plenty of mods, including several what I like to call 'mini-mods:' little dioramas within a diorama, if you will, that are unique to this scenario and are mainly there for flavor. But the main feature is, obviously, the railyard (both the passenger station and freight yard). There are some generous mod contributions from fellow modders as well!

(perks up) Mods? What are these new mods of which you speak?

Quite a few, actually. Most are scenario/map specific, but some are for standard use and these will also be released separately. Here's a list of what I have:

- Railyard warehouses and passenger station: new building textures, complete with clock and name signs. Many windows facing the yard have the 'correct' reflection when you look at them.

- Railcar mod; the most ingenious CM mod ever, designed by Umlaut. Give the man a medal!

- New grass tiles (by Tanks A Lot).

- Novik Farmstead: tweaked building textures. This one also has many correct window reflections.

- New fences (picket, stick, wood- and barbed wire).

- Mini-mod: burnt down house and trees.

- Mini-mod: abandoned building.

- Mini-mod: small oil spill.

- Mini-mod: 'Pitrovsk' milestone.

- Mini-mod: 31 new Soviet posters scattered around town.

- Mini mod: railyard gatehouse sign.

- ‘Tiny’-mod: The Mad Hermit's sign.

- Mini-mod: Mr. Sedov, The Mad Hermit, a 'playable character' (civilian combatant, Allied).

- Mini-mod: Mr. Nosov, The Collaborator, a 'playable character' (civilian combatant, Axis).

- Several new and tweaked flavor object textures, including coal bin, dog kennel, two more oil drums, large and medium chicken coop, chicken hutch, shelters and two benches.

- Several tweaked ground textures for a more harmonious look.

- Most of my existing terrain mods (bridges and walls) also make an appearance and will be included as well.

Okay, enough already! When do we get to fight!?

I guess I'm still scratching the surface of what the editor can do, but I have the forces I want to use in place and a basic plan for the defender that I've been testing. Results so far are pretty good IMO, but I'm probably going to be needing help, advice and testers soon, all of which I'm hoping to get in this thread. It’ll be a while, though, I still need to start making the attack plan.

Aww!

There, there! How about some screenshots, then?

Yay!

Okay, Here we go:

Pitrovsk passenger station With Umlaut's railcar mod:

TRaP Pitrovsk passenger station.jpg

More Pitrovsk passenger station:

TRaP Pitrovsk passenger station2.jpg

Pitrovsk freight yard:

TRaP Pitrovsk freight yard.jpg

All right! I thought these were supposed to be screenshots, not photographs.

Lovely little town you've created. The usual Juju quality is all over this one. Great marriage of mods, map and scenario, and I agree about Umlaut's rail car, brilliant.

As one of the lucky few that has had the opportunity to dive into this map, I can tell you all that you´ve really got something to look forward to:

Juju has a great eye for details and making a map come alive. There are a lot of very, very good scenario specific mods on this map. Hard to believe this is his first scenario.

And thanks for adding those extra little touches to the railcar mod. :)

Thanks guys. But don't get too excited, yeah? In the end it's just a scenario, made by a total n00b. I'll do my best for ya, though.

So far I've played out two full tests as Axis vs AI (turnbased, and not counting scenario author mode tests). After both tests I tweaked the plan accordingly, and I going to do at least one more full run of the scenario. After that it would be nice to have some people test it and give me some constructive feedback.