Abandoned tanks question

Ive noticed a couple instances so far where a tank crew abandoned it after coming under fire. Don't get me wrong, I don't blame them. If someone shot at me on the eastern front, Id probably get out and run too. However, I was wondering...

Can they be re-entered, and if so, by whom, a crew or infantry team?

Can the abandoned vehicle be captured? If so, can it be used against me?

Thank you for your time. :)

Ive noticed a couple instances so far where a tank crew abandoned it after coming under fire. Don't get me wrong, I don't blame them. If someone shot at me on the eastern front, Id probably get out and run too. However, I was wondering...

yup a crew

No

10 characters to allow a reply post

Ive noticed a couple instances so far where a tank crew abandoned it after coming under fire. Don't get me wrong, I don't blame them. If someone shot at me on the eastern front, Id probably get out and run too.

It's been asserted on here, based on participant accounts, that on the western front at least, Sherman crews would bail on the first ATG hit, because waiting around for the one that kills you is dim :)

Yes. Only by the original crew, presumably once they've calmed down.

No to the first and therefore it follows that the second is also a negative.

You're welcome.

Will this be changed in a future patch?Had situation,where my hq tank was destroyed,but all crew got out.They were veteran quality and I wanted them to switch out with a green crew tank.

What seems optimal for the disembodied god's-eye player would seem absurd to the soldiers involved.

"Sgt. McKlowsky wants us to give his guys our tank? Like hell!"

Even if it's the commander, I'm not sure that kind of thing was done in the heat of battle.

Even if it's the commander, I'm not sure that kind of thing was done in the heat of battle.

Platoon commanders did sometimes requisition subordinates' tanks when their own was damaged or even just low on fuel or ammo. I've read way too many accounts of this being done for it have been an infrequent thing.

It's something I would like to see *eventually* in CM -- Plt. HQ crew able to take over the tank of a subordinate crew if the Plt. HQ crew is in good order.

But I don't view it as a particularly high priority, and this is the only kind of "crew swapping" I think would be appropriate at the CM scale.

I read a thread earlier that said that if you had a passenger on a tank and the crew abandoned it, the passengers become the crew(!). Haven't tried it myself. But, if true, BF will probably put a stop to that fun in the next patch. So enjoy while you can... :)

Out of curiosity I finally gave than recrewing tanks thing a try. No go, doesn't work on the T34-85 I had on the map. Nobody volunteered to hop in the turret. Maybe it is happening but its just one vehicle type due to an unclicked parameters box or something. Nice to know the problem's not endemic, though I admit it would'a been cool to see infantrymen drive off with the tank :D

If it ever was allowed, crew tank-hopping would certainly have to be restricted to higher ranks commandeering lower in their Chain of Command. Which would neatly restrain the "gamey bastidge" urge to buy elite cheap tanks to provide crew for other better tanks bought as Conscripts. Mostly. Some formations have the commander in a "command" tank that's not very combat effective (I'm thinking of Italian TDs, mostly, but I'm sure there will be others as the darker crevices of early war TOE are raked out by BFC).

What seems optimal for the disembodied god's-eye player would seem absurd to the soldiers involved.

"Sgt. McKlowsky wants us to give his guys our tank? Like hell!"

Don't know about WWII in general or the eastern front specifically, but its SOP in the IDF for an HQ tank crew to switch tanks with another crew if their tank became immobile or destroyed. There was a lot of that happening in '73.

It also only makes sense that if, for example, there are 2 tanks- tank 1 destroyed and crew bailed out and survived and tank 2 had its crew dismounted but killed, that crew 1 could mount and operate tank 2.

I also can't see why different crews can't operate a tank that had some of its crew members killed to a point where it is now immobile/unable to fire.

Non of the above is ideal by far, but not only is it good sense, its also done in combat (again, don't know about the east front, more about later years over here).

If it ever was allowed, crew tank-hopping would certainly have to be restricted to higher ranks commandeering lower in their Chain of Command.

I agree that would be really nice.

In the mean time one trick that I do is: have the unhorsed HQ team get into a radio equipped half track and then they will put your C2 back together. Usually it is pretty easy for the Germans and US forces but I think it will be harder for the Russians but it is still worth knowing.

My Vet company commander team's tank gets immobilized I want them to evict a lower ranked or lower rated tank team: 'Get out. We're taking over'. Surely not an uncommon event. On the other hand, didn't the command vehicle have more elaborate communication equipment?

I guess they could do it if they had higher rank.. but in reality, people don't wear badges saying "I'm green", "I'm regular", "I'm a veteran".

So unless the entire company knew each other really well personally, how would they know they were not trying to take over a tank crewed by better guys than themselves?

Also, unless you're really fanatic, you would probably prefer to lay low a bit after your tank is blown up and you barely make it out alive.

So, yes, it's the "god hand of the all-seeing player" who wants each soldier to be fighting like Rambo. The soldiers shouldn't necessarily agree.

I seem to recall Otto Carius mentioning a commander switching from his disabled tank

I've read of similar accounts in Brit memoirs, but the guy banging on the hullside demanding your tank had better be freakin' high up in rank to get away with it. You're not going to say no to your company commander.

...Also, unless you're really fanatic, you would probably prefer to lay low a bit after your tank is blown up and you barely make it out alive.

So, yes, it's the "god hand of the all-seeing player" who wants each soldier to be fighting like Rambo. The soldiers shouldn't necessarily agree.

Definitely agree.

I make a point of moving my unhorsed tank crews to the rear and policing up WIA/KIA ( that haven't been buddy-aided for an MG42 ) when I've moved forward.

I don't have to, but I feel it's realistic behaviour for the troops.

Even if BFC allowed it, I probably would never do it, because it just wouldn't feel realistic for most real-life troops to be doing it for the same battle in which they lost their tank.

Maybe after the battle I can see a platoon HQ saying to one of his crews, "you guys wait for another tank, I'm taking No. xxx"

( I know, I know, ... anecdotes. ;) But ... outliers. I reckon my imaginary scenario seems more plausible for the vast bulk of occasions. )

Again, there are clear and common historical precedents for a tank platoon commander that has lost his ride (for whatever reason) bumping a subordinate crew out of a tank in the middle of a battle to stay in the fight; there is no need to speculate or conjecture whether this would be "realistic" or not at the CM scale.

I do understand why it's not in the game. It clearly would not be a trival thing to code, debug and beta test and I think there are other game features that are more important. But as long as such feature were appropriately limited to this type of HQ action, it would definitely be realistic.

Again, there are clear and common historical precedents for a tank platoon commander that has lost his ride (for whatever reason) bumping a subordinate crew out of a tank in the middle of a battle to stay in the fight; there is no need to speculate or conjecture whether this would be "realistic" or not at the CM scale.

I do understand why it's not in the game. It clearly would not be a trival thing to code, debug and beta test and I think there are other game features that are more important. But as long as such feature were appropriately limited to this type of HQ action, it would definitely be realistic.

It's not as straightforward and clear cut as you seem to think it is. For one thing the personal accounts are not always clear about the time element with regards to the changing of the tank crew. There were also a lot of risks involved while jumping onto a tank that is actively engaged with the enemy. Another issue is that the commander may not just happen to be within easy walking distance of a tank he wants to take over and as long as his tank is destroyed there is no way for the subordinate vehicles to even know where the commander is let alone that he needs a ride. I have some personal accounts that are directly on point with this and I'll try to dig them up.