How close are we, Steve?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To getting some more news on Bagration?

Release date: the anniversary of Bragation, June 22. But maybe earlier. BF is reportedly seeking a project director/code debugger/press agent to accelerate the process: a sort of omnium gatherum position. HistoryLover appears to have the inside track. They're evidently aiming for a kind of yin yang synergy.

Release date: the anniversary of Bragation, June 22. But maybe earlier. BF is reportedly seeking a project director/code debugger/press agent to accelerate the process: a sort of omnium gatherum position. HistoryLover appears to have the inside track. They're evidently aiming for a kind of yin yang synergy.

June 22nd :(?

You aren't serious right :)?

If so I will be sad, Steve wouldn't want to make one of his fans sad would he?

:D

The only thing a little disappointing for me about the news of this series is that it starts at Bagration when the Germans were really starting to suffer through a lack of men and equipment and got steamrolled by the Soviet juggernaut. Kursk would have been a more interesting starting point, that said I'm sure I'll still buy it.

The only thing a little disappointing for me about the news of this series is that it starts at Bagration when the Germans were really starting to suffer through a lack of men and equipment and got steamrolled by the Soviet juggernaut. Kursk would have been a more interesting starting point, that said I'm sure I'll still buy it.

Yes, given the total destruction of 17 divisions and the shattering of a further 50, in five weeks, it is difficult to envisage historically based scenarios wherein the Germans will have much scope for victory, other than on the smallest level. However, my knowledge of Bagration is very limited so I'm prepared to be surprised.

Sure it was a slaughter at this time, but I doubt you'll play real life scenarios many scenarios where 12 SU-100 with tank riders attack two ATGs and a weakened infantry company on the open steppe. Those aren't much fun. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and predict some fair and balanced scenarios will be included in the game.

Operationally, strategically, sure the Jerries were boned by Bagration. Tactically, their formations might have been a bit ragged, but given a CM setup they have just as much chance as their equipment and soft factors give 'em. CM is not an operational or strategic scale game.

I guess the reason is that many of the German units can be recycled as they have been created for the western front already. Hence more focus could be put on the terrain, new features in 3.0 and the Russians.

I also believe that there might be a bit higher interest in the later stages of the campaign for many as there are big cats and big soviet tanks to play around with.

I for one am really looking forward to the eastern front and will buy anything released (most exited for Barbarossa and Stalingrad).

With Bagration I’m sure we will see a lot of good scenarios that are balanced and challenging for both sides. CMBB managed to do it during this timeframe so why not CMx2? I see no reason to be concerned about this.

why is it set so late in the campaign?

Eh? Bagration is generally considered to be the start of the Soviet summer 1944 campaign, and it began on June 22, 1944. Or the 21st, if you count the early infiltrations of the German lines by leading Soviet units as the start of the operation. This campaign started in Vitebsk, and ended at the gates of Warsaw; a distance of over 500km. So the East Front game covers the entire campaign, from start to finish.

If you're asking why it's set so late in the war, I don't have any special insight into BFC's thought processes, but I conjecture that one of the major reasons lies in the simple fact that the German TOEs and units for Summer & Fall 1944 were already completed for CMBN, so it's the easiest "crossover" point for moving to the East Front. Starting somewhere else would take substantially more time. You can have Bagration sooner, or something else much later.

As for those concerned about the Germans being a pushover at this point in the war, I wouldn't fret your pretty little heads over it too much. It's certainly true that on the operational scale and up the Germans were pretty much completely outfought by the Soviets from mid-1944 on. But on CM's tactical level there were plenty of fights were the Germans gave as good as they got, or better.

The only thing a little disappointing for me about the news of this series is that it starts at Bagration when the Germans were really starting to suffer through a lack of men and equipment and got steamrolled by the Soviet juggernaut.

So let me see if I have this straight: You would be cool with Barbarossa when the Soviets were really beginning to suffer through a lack of [capable] men and equipment and got steamrolled by the German juggernaut?

;)

Michael

Eh? Bagration is generally considered to be the start of the Soviet summer 1944 campaign, and it began on June 22, 1944. Or the 21st, if you count the early infiltrations of the German lines by leading Soviet units as the start of the operation. This campaign started in Vitebsk, and ended at the gates of Warsaw; a distance of over 500km. So the East Front game covers the entire campaign, from start to finish.

If you're asking why it's set so late in the war, I don't have any special insight into BFC's thought processes, but I conjecture that one of the major reasons lies in the simple fact that the German TOEs and units for Summer & Fall 1944 were already completed for CMBN, so it's the easiest "crossover" point for moving to the East Front. Starting somewhere else would take substantially more time. You can have Bagration sooner, or something else much later.

As for those concerned about the Germans being a pushover at this point in the war, I wouldn't fret your pretty little heads over it too much. It's certainly true that on the operational scale and up the Germans were pretty much completely outfought by the Soviets from mid-1944 on. But on CM's tactical level there were plenty of fights were the Germans gave as good as they got, or better.

I should of phrased it better.. so late in the Eastern War