Snow in Mainland Italy?

The module will come with several selection options for snow depth, from a mere powdering with grass poking through to deep drifting snow obliterating roads. I doubt CMFI will be using 'deep' snow much. Even when we hit the Bulge battle players may avoid 'deep' snow for making battles too difficult.

Some allied offensive operations during autumn/winter 1943/44 ended because of heavy weather with deep snow. I have read reports of the US, in which the commanders are in a worry because of the coldness and casualties caused by frozen feet and hands.

Regards

Frank

I'm italian. My grandfather (born exactly today 88 years ago) tells me that when he was a child, winter was more cold and snow than now. He tells me that in the silence of the night you could year the trees cracking because of tree lymph freezing.

Here sometimes snow a lot: during war Italy was far less built up and polluted, so it's possible that winter was even colder than now.

Beside that, only along southern cost Italy seems like Sicily, in other regions and in the mountains it is differet, much more European in terms of climate.

Was there much snow fighting in mainland Italy?

I don't know about WWI and snow. I do know in Northern Italy I got snowed on in and around Milan and further up in the lake region Lake Como. It is really really tough to not like the people and the region. You can see why in the photos below! It looks much better in person.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Como

Obviously, you've never enjoyed the pleasures of sitting in the piazza of small Italian town, nestled at the foot of the alps with snow-capped mountains loaming over everything, warmed at your table by the sunlight and a bottle of robust chianti which fairly begs to be quaffed, reading something suitably academic, all while admiring the wonderfully athletic legs exhibited by the women walking about the town. Steep hills and high heels have a wonderful effect on the female form; far more aerobically challenging than hopping on a machine at a gym.

I'm sorry. Were we talking about snow?

Obviously, you've never enjoyed the pleasures of sitting in the piazza of small Italian town, nestled at the foot of the alps with snow-capped mountains loaming over everything, warmed at your table by the sunlight and a bottle of robust chianti which fairly begs to be quaffed, reading something suitably academic, all while admiring the wonderfully athletic legs exhibited by the women walking about the town. Steep hills and high heels have a wonderful effect on the female form; far more aerobically challenging than hopping on a machine at a gym.

I'm sorry. Were we talking about snow?

:D c3k. You must have visted Milan as well. Beautiful "architecture" in the steep hills and high heels :D ... and we were talking about snow.

Frostbite wasn't too big a problem, but trenchfoot most definitely was. It took out several hundred thousand Allied soldiers in that first winter at the Gustav line.

Basically it was a hellishly wet winter, with constant drizzling rain mixed with occasional downpours, hovering around 40 degrees Fahrenhite, plus or minus 5-10 for day or night.

At the higher elevations (10 degrees cooler) that would mean snow overnight that turned to slush and mud the next day. The ground never really froze hard enough, deep enough, to control the mud.

At Anzio this was compounded by the whole fight taking place in a region basically reclaimed from swampland, with the water table within about 6 feet of the surface - that was then churned into pudding by vast quantities of high explosive (artillery from both sides, allied air and naval gunfire, etc).

The summer campaigns were quite different, to be sure. But winter in Italy was a mudfest, especially so over the 1943-44 winter.

The module will come with several selection options for snow depth, from a mere powdering with grass poking through to deep drifting snow obliterating roads. I doubt CMFI will be using 'deep' snow much. Even when we hit the Bulge battle players may avoid 'deep' snow for making battles too difficult.

I am extremely excited to fight in the snow. can you tell us if heavy snow fall will be available in this module?

thanks

if heavy snow fall will be available in this module?

I could tell you if its currently available (which it is), but I don't know about Charles's plans to limit snow terrain to just the winter months by the time the module's completed. What's available in October now could be greyed-out come the final release. Oh, and currently British troops are wearing black ninja uniforms. I suspect that may be changed before release too. :)

[edit] Oh oh, darn it! On rereading it I don't know which way to take your question! Did you mean heavy snow FALL (autumn), or did you mean heavy SNOWFALL (precipitation)? :D

Steep hills and high heels have a wonderful effect on the female form; far more aerobically challenging than hopping on a machine at a gym.

Hmm wonder if they come with Gustav line, you know just so the boys know what they're fighting for, a moral bonus or something :)

Yes, there's falling snow in varying strengths, from a bare trickle to a full-blown blizzard. Crank up the wind strength for extra fun. ;)

thank you for making my day friend. I am going over to the refresh monkey page and being my vigil.

I am looking forward to making European towns with on rolling hills with heavy snow on the editor. probably going to have a jeep drive around while I lower the camera to follow the unit at ground level.