Waiting to buy CMBN

Hi all

I really want to buy CMBN, but since I read that there will be a major update that will become the norm, but will be a paid upgrade, I'm reluctant to buy it now and then have to pay again within a couple of weeks.

My questions are thus:

1. Is it worth waiting and buying the new v2 and just going without for now?

2. If I gave in to my urges (not THOSE ones!) and bought the game now, will there be a free/cheap upgrade for the recently purchased?

3. Does anyone know how long before the new version is ready?

4. But I want it now, dammit!

And no, I don't want the Italian version, I'm really looking forward to the Commonwealth forces which I'd get at the same time.

Thanks all in advance for all the good advice I can almost hear straining at the keyboard to be unleashed!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

I really want to buy CMBN, but since I read that there will be a major update that will become the norm, but will be a paid upgrade, I'm reluctant to buy it now and then have to pay again within a couple of weeks.

My questions are thus:

1. Is it worth waiting and buying the new v2 and just going without for now?

2. If I gave in to my urges (not THOSE ones!) and bought the game now, will there be a free/cheap upgrade for the recently purchased?

3. Does anyone know how long before the new version is ready?

4. But I want it now, dammit!

And no, I don't want the Italian version, I'm really looking forward to the Commonwealth forces which I'd get at the same time.

Thanks all in advance for all the good advice I can almost hear straining at the keyboard to be unleashed!

Have you read this post yet?

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=104855

It's the official announcement for the 2.0 upgrade.

As for buying now or waiting, it all depends whether they will release a upgraded version of CMBN or not. And there has been no official word on that. My totally informed guess is there won't be, but I have known to being wrong :). In the mean time you can just play the demo!

It's really hard to know whether it will be worth the wait, not really knowing what the final product will look like.

I have personally found the CMFI game a lot more riveting with the updated features and the interesting maps. I've determined not to go back to this game until the update has been released. A lot of people are in this same boat. You might not like the theatre, but you ought to at least try out the demo to see how the game interface works.

If I had to do this over I would have waited just from the standpoint of having to now install the original game and then the large patch; instead of taking care of this all at once. You might even lose game activations when installing both from scratch.

In my own note; I am very much hoping that the user interface will grow in parallel with the monitor size. This would be worth the price of the upgrade alone.

I would have to believe that the pricing will be similar whether you buy the old game with the new patch or new game alone.

I also believe you will lose saved games should you buy now and upgrade later.

I have to believe the game will be released before Christmas. There have been some hints to that end. Hopefully someone can confirm even better news such as that it will be released in November.

I am very anxious for this release as well.

I also believe you will lose saved games should you buy now and upgrade later.

You can run multiple installs of CMBN at different version levels. I have several running. there is no reason at all to be worrying about saved games. If you are really worried you install an additional copy in a new folder and continue to run your old saves on the old version. Once done you can always then upgrade that version and delete the newer one if you want it in the default folder. This does not impact your activations at all. Believe me I delete and reinstall additional instances of CMBN on a regular basis.

I would also not assume anything about the sales startegy, but seriously we are talking $5 maybe $10 dollars versus months of time lost from playing time. Really? Is that worth it?

You can run multiple installs of CMBN at different version levels. I have several running. there is no reason at all to be worrying about saved games. If you are really worried you install an additional copy in a new folder and continue to run your old saves on the old version. Once done you can always then upgrade that version and delete the newer one if you want it in the default folder. This does not impact your activations at all. Believe me I delete and reinstall additional instances of CMBN on a regular basis.

I would also not assume anything about the sales startegy, but seriously we are talking $5 maybe $10 dollars versus months of time lost from playing time. Really? Is that worth it?

You are correct in regards to backwards compatability. I really thought I read a post that said contrary to this.

Here is a segment of Moons post:

Upgrades are backwards compatible with all battles and campaigns, no matter who authored them or which units/terrain are used within them. Some Mods will work without modification, others may need to be updated to take advantage of game engine changes.

Thank you for catching that.

Blimey, you lot are quick!

Thanks for the messages, some good advice in them. It has raised another question though, is the v2 a completely different game from the current version?

I haven't played a CM game since the first one, about 10 years ago, so I don't want to get used to the current version of CMBN if the upgrade gives a different interface/game style.

Also, I have seen mention in these forums of an Arnhem game (Market Garden is the WW2 operation that holds the most interest for me), is that an official game or a player created operation?

(I'm expecting answers in less than 10 minutes this time!) ;-)

if you dl the demo for CMFI and CMBN you will see the differences between the two. There are some additional UI options in CMFI, but it is not that drastically different. Market Garden will be a module addition to CMBN just like the Commonwealth module however it will REQUIRE you to have CMBN upgraded to version 2.

Oh and buy it now. That'll give you time to get used to the over all feel before you are ready to plunge into the campaigns and yes play the scenarios FIRST. Do not just dive right into the campaigns. They are generally harder and have consequences to your losses long term.

ok, 6 minutes, well done. :-)

Thanks for the info, I can see me just giving in and buying the current bundle and upgrading it later. No willpower. None.

Excellent news about the Market Garden addon, is there somewhere I can find details, this is something I will have to have!

The biggest chunk of work, IIRC in v2 was the inclusion of bump-mapping for the unit textures, and the conversion of those textures to take advantage of this. Purely a cosmetic change, having no effect on gameplay. The additional features in actual gameplay are largely "quality of life" enhancers, rather than making anything actually drastically different.

All you lose if you do buy the current offering is the $5 it will cost you to bundle the upgrade with MG. The game's (mostly, and once the (free) patch for BNv1 comes out, entirely) playable sans v2's features. If you choose to buy the upgrade before that, you're getting gravy for your 10 bucks :)

There is regular measurement of time, then there is game developer measurement of time. In game developer time a week is a month, a month is three months... It took them just about a month to finally hand off the CMFI demo, another month (or two) after that before they offered the CMFI patch. The CMBN patch should be coming very shortly and the big CMBN upgrade should follow close behind. That's close behind in 'game developer' timescale. The progress is not super-quick but it is inexorible. :)

As someone who was faced with this question a couple of months ago, I can't really see a good reason to wait. I don't think you're going to be saving much money if you do. BF doesn't seem to follow the same "jack up the prices early to exploit the sales rush then lower them drastically a few months later" model that many games companies use. I assume that's because they're a niche developer.

As someone who was faced with this question a couple of months ago, I can't really see a good reason to wait. I don't think you're going to be saving much money if you do. BF doesn't seem to follow the same "jack up the prices early to exploit the sales rush then lower them drastically a few months later" model that many games companies use. I assume that's because they're a niche developer.

And smarter than that, they are in it for the long haul. You have to admire their longevity and perseverance.

...Excellent news about the Market Garden addon, is there somewhere I can find details, this is something I will have to have!

Sigh... for me it is the Eastern Front 41-late 43 and North Africa 41-43. At least with CMFI it can be modded for the North African theater, so that is good news as I am not sure if BF will go there, unfortunate if so. One of the reasons CMAK and CMBB are still spinning for me.

Squeaker,

We call CM E-crack for a reason! The demo's the fateful free sample provided by the dealer, except this dealer doesn't urge anything on you; you choose to ingest the E-crack. It's already coursing through your veins, consuming your will, urging you onward to caress that mouse and dance those keys. Fighting it's hopeless, and the only known cure is...more CM!

Regards,

John Kettler

One reason to wait for a full CMBN v2.0 is so you won't have to worry about the $10 v2.0 upgrade expense. But really, between now and then you're going to spend $80 just on pizzas and $30 on coca cola. You'll spend double that amount renting bad movies in an attempt to entertain yourself while waiting. :)

Trying... to... resist...

... failed.

Downloading now. I'm just going to tell my other half you all forced me into it, and told me that puppies would be hurt if I didn't buy the game. I'm sure she'll believe me.

Correct decision.

But just be warned: the learning curve is _steep_. If you keep losing for 10-20 games, it's not because the game sucks, it's because you still do ;)

GaJ

Just working my way through the training scenarios, this is a fantastic game! Couple of things I'm finding hard to get used to, such as the viewing controls. Also, I wish when I had a squad highlighted it told me what each soldier was doing (reloading, aiming, can't see target, etc) as I remember from the Close Combat series.

Very glad I took the plunge, though, I am really enjoying it so far, and it's only the training missions! I've got lots of questions, but I'll work though the manual a bit before I start posting my newbie questions on here. :-)

Does anyone have any suggestions for good starter maps/campaigns once I've done the tutorial ones?

You seriously have to be some kind of fanatic to not feel bad paying 10USD for a patch! So basically they sell me a game that is broken (CMBN) and then, when they already have the said hardware for sale with CMFI, they ask me to pay to fix their product! If its not greed then I do not know what is. Not that its wrong to make money, but I appreciate honesty about it. I guess that's the way companies operate today.

Seriously, from an outsiders view its hard sometimes to see if the threads and posts are made by Battlefront, or a free member of the forum. :confused: