Did someone say CMBN had super mortars

Have you ever tried to take a human played, German-held hedgerow without mortars or armor support?? I think the mortar is a pretty good answer to the widely distributed MG42.

In RL, the Germans deployed a lot of MG's into their infantry squads. The Allies had 2" and 60mm mortars. Mortars were, and still are, extremely deadly. You don't hear the shells coming and they just throw loads of metallic crap all over the place when they pop.

And when they are direct-sighted, or indirectly sighted by a guy just a few yards away peeping through a hedgerow or over a small hill .... they can zero in on their target in just a few rounds.

This is very close, if not correct, I remember the size not being 150, but that would have to be verified

Type 96 150 mm Infantry

The Type 96 and Type 97 were Japanese 150 mm calibre mortars used during the Second World War. The Type 96 was first introduced in 1936. It had a caliber of 150.5 mm, and approximately 90 were produced. The Type 96 was used in Iwo Jima and China, but its performance is not known. In 1941 the weapon was developed into the more portable Type 97 150 mm Mortar, which simply has the recoil absorber removed.

Designation Type 96 Type 97

long barrel Type 97

short barrel

Barrel length 1.325 m 1.935 m 1.395 m

Elevation +45 to +80 degrees

Shell weight Reported between

25.65 kg and 23.8 kg

Muzzle velocity 214 m/s

Weight 722 kg 342 kg 232.5 kg

Range 3,900 m

Quantity produced 90, 110

A quick google points me to the Soltan M66 160mm Mortar. Some usage by Israel, Russia, and Finland. "Uniform" definitely looks Israeli to me.

A round from that thing would ruin your whole day.

Regardless of how Semitic the guy looks, that's not the Soltam. Totally different carriage on the Soltam.

It's definitely the heavy Japanese mortar; I had forgotten the exact caliber, but that's definitely it. I assume the image is of one that was captured, and the guy next to it is an a Aussie or a Kiwi er sumfink.

I swear sometimes you guys are crazy. The photo is from the site of the USMC that the battle for a certain island is available at. The information I posted is the correct information for the Japanese weapon, this photo is showing the captured weapon, since only US marines and a small amount of US Army units were on the island, he is likely a marine.

So now there is only one question left you can try and guess the answer to, what island and battle was it that this photo is from.

So now there is only one question left you can try and guess the answer to, what island and battle was it that this photo is from.

Peleliu.

40% casualties for the invading force.

He most likely is a Marine by statistical chance, as you pointed out. But those are highly irregular cutoffs and footwear too. Perhaps a member of a naval landing party?

Peleliu.

40% casualties for the invading force.

He most likely is a Marine by statistical chance, as you pointed out. But those are highly irregular cutoffs and footwear too. Perhaps a member of a naval landing party?

Very good, at least someone shows they have some grog in them that is able to be correct.

As for the man in the photo, you might be right, we will never know. There is something about him that is funny, You have to smile.

As for the Battle, it is some interesting reading, plenty of stories about going above and beyond ones duty. For most it also rewarded with death.

• 11 months later...

This is interesting if he is a marine or not, THe only think we really have to go on would be his army issued boots.

I am not 100% sure of marine boots but they look very short and I remember most australian ww2 boots are very short.

Here is some example

http://medalsgonemissing.com/gallery/australian-army-jungle-boot.jpg

Looking at the ankle support the first picture seems the correct boot, compare the the US Army/Marine boot.

http://medalsgonemissing.com/gallery/ww1-boots-&-ww2-boots.jpg

Here are american ankle boots

http://www.medalsgonemissing.com/gallery/u.s.-army-boots(1).jpg

Also the Shorts remind me of either british or australian Light kharkis.

One of the many variants

http://www.medalsgonemissing.com/gallery/second-world-war-aif-shorts.jpg

Not sure what marine shorts look like.

I still not sure, part of me thinks australia just the way he standing and posed. But that probably me being bias.

togi,

He has X-Ray vision and has determined the man has Turkish apricots in his pockets and is pining for Lahmacun and a good baklava! Yes, I cheated, but I have eaten Turkish food, thanks to my sister and her family deploying with him when my brother-in-law Mike was stationed at Incirlik Air Base. Having been trained in Turkish, they lived there for years. There was also this rather exciting incident.

http://www.torch.aetc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123245179

Regards,

John Kettler