A long delayed update

1 hour ago, Bulletpoint said:

But if you read the interview that was linked to above, Steve isn't actually dead set against going on Steam; he says it's a business decision where he weighs the pros and cons.

LOL he has *always* said that. Yes, he sometimes get annoyed at the griping and makes a emphatic statement but every time he has chimed in here to explain it (see the links I already posted) that is what he says.

55 minutes ago, Sulomon said:

I know I'm just curious.  Personally I think more CM players would say that CM on steam is beneficial than say it is not beneficial.

?? how would stopping work on content and instead putting in work to change the publishing mechanism, the DRM and the patching mechanism plus whatever else Valve wants done be beneficial? Yes, I know people will trot out the usual steam installs are better, steam patches are better steam DRM is better. Ah BS! It's not that much better and the cost is very large - in terms of no content for us. You are kidding your selves if you think there are no people with problems with steam installs, patches or DRM. Every install or DRM hiccup is fixable via support - all we have to be is a bit patient and follow the instructions to get ourselves fixed up. I am sure you can objectively make the case that it is better than what BFC are currently using but better enough that you would like to spend a year waiting for new content? No thanks.

Don't get me wrong if they were on Steam I'd happily buy them and be happy with whatever improvement that offered. But delaying new content - colour me not interested.

30 minutes ago, IanL said:

?? how would stopping work on content and instead putting in work to change the publishing mechanism, the DRM and the patching mechanism plus whatever else Valve wants done be beneficial? Yes, I know people will trot out the usual steam installs are better, steam patches are better steam DRM is better. Ah BS! It's not that much better and the cost is very large - in terms of no content for us. You are kidding your selves if you think there are no people with problems with steam installs, patches or DRM. Every install or DRM hiccup is fixable via support - all we have to be is a bit patient and follow the instructions to get ourselves fixed up. I am sure you can objectively make the case that it is better than what BFC are currently using but better enough that you would like to spend a year waiting for new content? No thanks.

Don't get me wrong if they were on Steam I'd happily buy them and be happy with whatever improvement that offered. But delaying new content - colour me not interested.

I don't think anyone is going to change Steve's mind nor do I particularly care any more, but like with Erwin's fantastical nonsense I feel the need to point out that most of this is wrong. A brain-dead gopher could handle Valve's patching and deployment system and 3rd party DRM exists on a lot of Steam titles.

Hell, if I didn't know any better I would assume that your whole post was a backhanded way of insulting Battlefront's efficiency.

1 hour ago, SgtHatred said:

A brain-dead gopher could handle Valve's blah blah blah...

Speaking as nearly brain dead gopher, I have problems with Steam and what it does.  It's page loads automatically every time I boot up.  Can't figure out how to get rid of it.  :(

1 hour ago, Trooper117 said:

I have extolled the virtues of CM's games on steam to anyone that would listen... those that are interested only have to come on to the site here to find out more.

If they want it they will buy it, they certainly don't need the game to be on steam to enjoy playing it.

I've had a few people hesitate to trust Battlefront's burnt out gas station of a website, but that sounds like it is changing soon, which is good.

19 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Speaking as nearly brain dead gopher, I have problems with Steam and what it does.  It's page loads automatically every time I boot up.  Can't figure out how to get rid of it.  :(

Well, publishing a game on steam and using it as a client are different things. But anyway to resolve this for any piece of software in Windows you can open the Task Manager and find all the applications that start upon startup under the "Startup" tab. Click and disable. Easy.

Some years ago I would be the first on the frontline to argue that BF should put his games on Steam. I always thought "this game is so great and unique, a lot more people have to know" which place is better suited than Steam, also would generate a lot of income (despite the 30% steam share).

However in the meantime I changed my mind and aren´t sure about it anymore. I am not sure if BF were allowed to bring its License system to Steam, never saw such a system on a Steam game so I guess probably not.  So it would be basically protected by rudimentary Steam DRM which poses absolutely zero resistance to getting cracked in no time. Especially due to the perceived higher price in contrast to the casual games many may choose to go pirate which could then end devastating for business.

Regarding the BF website getting updated... No offense the current website, especially the navigation elements look somewhat retro 90´style and I can imagine that it acts as an deterrent to some. Never undererstimate how extremely important the look of a website is for your (video game) online store. Glad to hear that they work on getting a new out soon.

Edited by MANoWAR.U51

How many of you Steam users can make a single purchase through Steam, install it on multiple computers, and play the same game, at the same time, on those machines? 

I have never been able to do it and I think it is impossible to do.  I purchased two new laptops just shy of a year ago and installed all my CM games on both laptops. My daughter and I can play LAN a match anytime we want with CM. We can't however play a LAN game with any of my Steam titles as they are installed under one user name on both laptops.

For this reason alone, Battlefront should stay away from Steam like it is the plague. I have ZERO interest in purchasing multiple copies of each game just to be able to enjoy a battle with a family member.

58 minutes ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

How many of you Steam users can make a single purchase through Steam, install it on multiple computers, and play the same game, at the same time, on those machines? 

I have never been able to do it and I think it is impossible to do.  I purchased two new laptops just shy of a year ago and installed all my CM games on both laptops. My daughter and I can play LAN a match anytime we want with CM. We can't however play a LAN game with any of my Steam titles as they are installed under one user name on both laptops.

For this reason alone, Battlefront should stay away from Steam like it is the plague. I have ZERO interest in purchasing multiple copies of each game just to be able to enjoy a battle with a family member.

I've done this in Civ 5 with friends.  Just put steam to offline.

1 hour ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

My daughter and I can play LAN a match anytime we want with CM

That's cool. How old is she? Does she dig the history? What sides does she like to play?

Mord.

50 minutes ago, Mord said:

That's cool. How old is she? Does she dig the history? What sides does she like to play?

Mord.

She will be turning 16 in December. Her Grade 10 History Class covered Canadian History from 1900 to present day and of course I was a big help for her WW1 and WW2 sections. When she asked if I had any books on the role of Canada in WW2 and I brought her 15 books..... lets just say her project on Juno Beach was the best in the class! 

Some of her friends at school like to play World of Tanks and she was griping about how it sucks to start off with a crappy tank when everyone else has uber tanks. I told her should could play with the best, if she played me in CM since everyone can have the best right off the start in CM. We have played a few battles in CMFI and CMRT, platoon of infantry and a tank. She is getting better, but with sports teams and homework it has been a while since we last played. We usually play the battle twice, each of us as either side, just to show her it is possible to win as either Allies or Axis if you use the equipment properly. 

26 minutes ago, sburke said:

bigger question  does she let him win just to make him feel better and get a larger allowance?

No allowance in my house, everyone chips in to help out and we take care of spending money for them if needed. 

Edited by Heirloom_Tomato

2 hours ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

This is technically possible, but is it not against the license to do so? It's not unreasonable to ask you to buy 2 copies if 2 people are playing it on 2 separate machines.

29 minutes ago, SgtHatred said:

This is technically possible, but is it not against the license to do so? It's not unreasonable to ask you to buy 2 copies if 2 people are playing it on 2 separate machines.

I have always assumed it was fine. I own both machines, we live in the same house, she only plays with me.  If she starts to play games with multiple other people, playing for hours a day, then yes, purchasing a second copy for her makes sense. But for the odd game between family members every couple of weeks? 

43 minutes ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

She will be turning 16 in December. Her Grade 10 History Class covered Canadian History from 1900 to present day and of course I was a big help for her WW1 and WW2 sections. When she asked if I had any books on the role of Canada in WW2 and I brought her 15 books..... lets just say her project on Juno Beach was the best in the class! 

Some of her friends at school like to play World of Tanks and she was griping about how it sucks to start off with a crappy tank when everyone else has uber tanks. I told her should could play with the best, if she played me in CM since everyone can have the best right off the start in CM. We have played a few battles in CMFI and CMRT, platoon of infantry and a tank. She is getting better, but with sports teams and homework it has been a while since we last played. We usually play the battle twice, each of us as either side, just to show her it is possible to win as either Allies or Axis if you use the equipment properly. 

That's great, man. I find it interesting when girls get into wargaming. There's tons that play puzzle, FPS, platformers and RPG games but you don't see many gravitate to the serious, historical stuff. Good on ya for teaching her right! Plus you are giving her a new way to experience history which can only help in her schooling.

Mord.

21 hours ago, Erwin said:

Still can't understand why some folks care so much to keep pushing Steam on and on... and on... when it's so clearly not wanted by BF or most players on these forums - just the same 3 or 4 people.   Is there an agenda here?

https://strawpoll.com/2dy52w8f
As of now the results are 12 yes, 4 no, and 3 neutral.  Erwin I think you might have been a tad off when saying most players on these forums don't think Steam would be beneficial.  Most people it seems support it.  And of the people who don't like steam it seems to be in part at least from trivial problems they have had with steam.  Such as people complaining about Steam running on startup which isn't a steam problem but a not knowing computer basics problem.

2 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Yah... 12 people.  Obviously a huge majority of all customers of BF.  Clearly we doubters have all been wrong about this and BF should immediately sign up to Steam.  How could we be so stupid as to think otherwise.

Do you realize only 4 people said no? And there's now 13 yes votes too. You can stop with "the silent majority supports me" and acknowledge you're in all likelihood wrong.