A long delayed update

1 hour ago, Battlefront.com said:

<snipped>

What we found out with all of these forces is that the subtle differences from the established templates were far more varied and fundamental than we had initially thought.  In hindsight we should have built every single one of them up from scratch instead of starting with the templates and putting in exceptions.  The scratch method would certainly have taken a LOT of time (which is why we didn't do it that way), but in the end probably would have saved us some time on the calendar.

The good news is that R2V has the sort of subtly you guys expect from Combat Mission.  Instead of the South African formations being Brits with different accents, there's distinct differences in how they are structured and what equipment they use.  Same with the Indians, Brazilians, Poles, and absolutely with the French.  The German side of things is also more nuanced than you might think.  Which we think makes R2V one of the most interesting Modules we've made.  That is definitely a good thing!

Steve

Emphasis quoted in bold are mine.  Specific to them, can consideration be given to publishing something that shows all those differences?  My biggest struggle with QB's (besides my own lack of knowledge :o) is a lack of detailed information explaining how German Fusiliers differ from Grenadiers or American Glider Infantry from Airborne Infantry, etc., etc., etc.  The community created Dealership mods fall short in this regard.  I would really appreciate documents or spreadsheets showing how platoons differ from each other, ideally for all the CM games but R2V might be a good place to start.  I would volunteer to help if it's just a matter of time and labor.

1 hour ago, Battlefront.com said:

The good news is that R2V has the sort of subtly you guys expect from Combat Mission.  Instead of the South African formations being Brits with different accents, there's distinct differences in how they are structured and what equipment they use.  Same with the Indians, Brazilians, Poles, and absolutely with the French.  The German side of things is also more nuanced than you might think.  Which we think makes R2V one of the most interesting Modules we've made.  That is definitely a good thing!

Steve

This sounds fantastic! I'm sure this CMFI module will be well worth the wait.

2 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Glad to finally produce an update for you!  I can't tell you how many times I thought "I need to update folks" and then the next thought was "but I'm going to be too busy over the next few days to answer questions.  OK, next week".  Rinse and repeat :(  Finally my thinking of updating you AND a window where I can be around to interact consistently came up.  Or, more accurately, I forced it to come up!

Bah, the only questions I have are, "How much money do you want," and "When do you want it?"

futurama-shut-up-and-take-my-money-card-

13 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

First, apologies for taking so long to update ...

Steve

You will recieve all apologyse that you want if I can see soon !!

(in another module )

the Merkava M48, and...and...and...but also...

Anyway all roads bring us to Rome...and the way was difficult for you and all your staff working in the darkness  in the way of incertitude for the well being of each of us !!!

Thank you to you and your staff😏

Edited by 3j2m7

12 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Yes and no.  Yes I will have some news about the patch, but not this minute.  I expect to make a definitive statement along with the other things I'm going to post over the next few days.

Steve

awesome cant wait, most looking forward to news about patch than new content

Thanks Steve!

Good to know that it wasn't anything bad (i.e personal)  that kept you away from the board, as I said in another thread there's all sorts of shaite that life can fling at you once you hit a certain age.

Looking forward to the new stuff whenever it arrives!

11 minutes ago, Derfel 2nd said:

Thanks Steve!

Good to know that it wasn't anything bad (i.e personal)  that kept you away from the board, as I said in another thread there's all sorts of shaite that life can fling at you once you hit a certain age.

Looking forward to the new stuff whenever it arrives!

Too bad life flings tons of shaite at some people at an early age too :( Some things are never granted...

Goodspeed with all the future endeavors BFC. May we all live long and play for decades to come.

10 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Steve

Is there any chance that there could be multiple payoffs for BF with doing this TOE hard slog for Rome to Victory? For instance, the work done for US kitted out French forces appearing in this module being the basis for them appearing in CMBN/CMFB via a module/pack?

1 hour ago, Ithikial_AU said:

Is there any chance that there could be multiple payoffs for BF with doing this TOE hard slog for Rome to Victory? For instance, the work done for US kitted out French forces appearing in this module being the basis for them appearing in CMBN/CMFB via a module/pack?

That's what got us into trouble with CMFI :D  We thought "hey, we already have X so it should be easy to do Y with it!".  One of the perpetual problems with CMFI is that many of forces fighting on that front were based on North African era organizations which evolved slightly differently than those in NW Europe.  Most of those were either raised fresh or went through peaceful reorganization/re-equipping in Britain.  After the invasion of France resources were poured into that front and trickled into Italy.  That meant a lot of the forces fighting in one front weren't exactly like those in the other.  Figuring out what is needed to make that work for the game is what drags things out.

That said, for sure it's better to have this knowledge in hand when thinking about adding a force to this or that front.  We cut our teeth on the French stuff for Italy already, therefore it shouldn't be too bad to add them to France.  Much easier than adding them for the first time in CMFI, that's for sure.

Steve

19 minutes ago, Xorg_Xalargsky said:

Is that... a sub-bone??? :)

I'd be more interested if this was the 'bigger' sub-bone...

2 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

One of the perpetual problems with CMFI is that many of forces fighting on that front were based on North African era organizations which evolved slightly differently than those in NW Europe.

What can I say, I'm an Aussie so it's the only way I'm ever going to see some of my mob in the CM2 engine. :P

Thanks for the update! Everything sounds great. Glad we got a status update on the website overhaul. While I have never had any issues with the current website, I can understand the many reasons as to why an upgrade is needed. It sounds like the website upgrade ended up taking more time and resources than originally expected. If nothing more I will be happy with the new website because it will hopefully mean one less project getting in the way of all the other projects.

I'm personally of the opinion that posting constant mini updates is more detrimental than beneficial. Those who want to complain will always find a way to do so. I prefer getting updates when there is something to show, but that's just me. However I do wish there was a little more communication on the patch. I have no problem waiting for new content to be released when it is ready, but I view things like patches to be a bit more pressing. Glad to hear we will be getting an update on the patch sometime this Sunday. Hopefully it is good news!