Bud Backer

Once Upon a Time on the Western Front

In fact he has a little french poupee who works in the local Bureau de poste, and she collects them from under a rock in a nearby field. The poor deluded girl thinks that Paulina Fassbinder is his maiden aunt.

52 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

In fact he has a little french poupee who works in the local Bureau de poste, and she collects them from under a rock in a nearby field. The poor deluded girl thinks that Paulina Fassbinder is his maiden aunt.

Ahhhh, that adds a new level!

Book me for Episode VII and VIII „The Last Sergeant“ and  „Return of the Last Sergeant“.😀

1 hour ago, StieliAlpha said:

Ahhh, I see you have the story line very well thought through.

Will we see a panel with Hirsch and the firing squad at the end? Or will he receive the Ritterkreuz nevertheless?🤔

Spoiler. He dies on the eastern front sent there by Paula’s lover - a high ranking party official.   Oh sorry did I say that out loud?

5 minutes ago, sburke said:

Spoiler. He dies on the eastern front sent there by Paula’s lover - a high ranking party official.   Oh sorry did I say that out loud?

Perfect! Book me for Episode IX to umpteenth, too!

Bud,

He could, of course, have a trusted member of his unit hand-carry those letters when going back to the home country on leave and thereby avoid the censors altogether.  Or, hand-carry them himself.  This was not uncommon. 

But, couldn't he just skype in the downtime?  :o

Great stuff indeed.  Enjoying every bit of it.  

Heinrich505 

1 hour ago, Heinrich505 said:

Bud,

He could, of course, have a trusted member of his unit hand-carry those letters when going back to the home country on leave and thereby avoid the censors altogether.  Or, hand-carry them himself.  This was not uncommon. 

But, couldn't he just skype in the downtime?  :o

Great stuff indeed.  Enjoying every bit of it.  

Heinrich505 

I emphasized something that happened quite often. Thank you.

8 hours ago, sburke said:

Oh, no! I had him down as going AWOL at the end of the Battle of Normandy. Having to save his little poupee from the resistance, and them riding off into the distance on a BMW that they find in a shot up convoy.

Forget FB and Skype and all those new-fangled thingamajigs..why the hell doesn't Hirsch just call or text with his friggin' phone? France doesn't have cell towers?!?

11 hours ago, Bud Backer said:

Sorry guys. I was out of town and got sick right when I got back. 

I hope you didn't get the flu like I had a few months back.

:(

Michael