Once Upon a Time on the Western Front

Those of you who recall the characters from my first CAAR, The Battle of La Ferme Dupont, may wonder what happened to some of the characters that survived that little fracas. This story takes place some weeks later, taking cue from the last page of the aforementioned CAAR, and tells the tale of Sergeant Hirsch in the later days of the Falaise pocket retreat.

As always, comments are very welcome. I hope you enjoy!

PS: If you want to see bigger versions of any panel (yes, there are small details that are more readily apparent) then click on any of the images for a better resolution version. 

Edited by Bud Backer

2 hours ago, Badger73 said:

Oh boy!  Oh boy!!  Oh boy!!!  Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you, Bud.

+1,111,111

Hey, thanks! Nice to see they still interest people. ^_^

1 hour ago, rocketman said:

Cool to have the series back again - missed them. I do like the font used for the letter, which is it? Nice touch with the German ditty.

It’s “Savoy L&T”

11 hours ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

Yeah!!! Thanks @Bud Backer!!! Look forward to reading the latest updates to the series again. Looks amazing once again.

Your enthusiasm is infectious! :) Thank you! 

11 hours ago, Bil Hardenberger said:

@Bud Backer, beautiful work! 

Thanks, Bil. I’m enjoying the heck out of your fabulous AAR, and you inspired me to do this again. 

9 hours ago, Anson Pelmet said:

A fascinating AAR, and a work of art!

Thank you!

7 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

The Times Literary Supplement Book of the Month - March 2018

:lol: They must have a special section for amateur contributions. ;)

So some of you may wonder what’s the story behind the story here.

This is a PBEM game against a friend of mine. One who loves infantry as much as I love armour. In countless battles, he’s always been a step or three ahead of me when it comes to using infantry. I’d win often enough, but that’s because I had armour to compensate. Despite our fairly equal win-lose ratios, I really wanted to up my skill with infantry. So I’ve been reading infantry tactics, studying @Bil Hardenberger‘s fantastic blog (link in his signature) and generally giving a lot more thought to what I do with these little pixeltruppen. 

To test this, my friend and I devised a challenge for me. Crossing a defended line with limited access points. This map, which you can largely see in the first post, has only a bridge and a ford to get to the other side. My mission: take the bridge. Nothing else matters.

To accomplish my mission, I was restricted to only what infantry can carry. No heavy weapons. No artillery. Not even on map mortars. My points outnumber his 2.2:1. Sounds easy, right? ;)

What flowed from that was a small scenario, which makes it ideal for a CAAR. Less things to capture and turn into a comic. Then I decided to go with another idea. Rather than tell the tale of the whole battle, I was going to show you the story of just one platoon. The platoon that was going to take the ford. 

And here we are...

Edited by Bud Backer

38 minutes ago, Bud Backer said:

So some of you may wonder what’s the story behind the story here.

This is a PBEM game against a friend of mine. One who loves infantry as much as I love armour. In countless battles, he’s always been a step or three ahead of me when it comes to using infantry. I’d win often enough, but that’s because I had armour to compensate. Despite our fairly equal win-lose ratios, I really wanted to up my skill with infantry. So I’ve been reading infantry tactics, studying @Bil Hardenberger‘s fantastic blog (link in his signature) and generally giving a lot more thought to what I do with these little pixeltruppen. 

To test this, my friend and I devised a challenge for me. Crossing a defended line with limited access points. This map, which you can largely see in the first post, has only a bridge and a ford to get to the other side. My mission: take the bridge. Nothing else matters.

To accomplish my mission, I was restricted to only what infantry can carry. No heavy weapons. No artillery. Not even on map mortars. My points outnumber his 2.2:1. Sounds easy, right? ;)

What flowed from that was a small scenario, which makes it ideal for a CAAR. Less things to capture and turn into a comic. Then I decided to go with another idea. Rather than tell the tale of the whole battle, I was going to show you the story of just one platoon. The platoon that was going to take the ford. 

And here we are...

But nice could be that you produce all the pictures in a book or in a pdf files to followig all stories. !!

But why  MOS:96B2P say ..."@Bud Backer  Volume 6!!!!! NICE!!!  +1." (Mean that this existe already ?? ) if yes I would like to have possibility to buy it !!

Edited by 3j2m7

16 minutes ago, 3j2m7 said:

But nice could be that you produce all the pictures in a book or in a pdf files to followig all stories. !!

But why  MOS:96B2P say ..."@Bud Backer  Volume 6!!!!! NICE!!!  +1." (Mean that this existe already ?? ) if yes I would like to have possibility to buy it !!

If you click on my profile and select About Me, you can see the 5 previous comics. ;)

3 hours ago, Bud Backer said:

If you click on my profile and select About Me, you can see the 5 previous comics. ;)

Echt  !!!! 😎 cool !!!

Thank you very good job and nice to read,...somes months ago I saw on the forum a GI with a cigarette butt are you also the author of this ?

Edited by 3j2m7

I've been looking forward to seeing another episode.....Cheers Bud.  B)

Any chance you could give me some tips on how you achieve this remarkable look?  I'd like to try a similar comic-book style for the artwork in my CM:A Blue Campaign ('Abdul Gul's War'), to date my own efforts have looked pretty poor by comparison.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead