Once Upon a Time on the Western Front

This last panel reminds me of the 'nade spam that could render a squad combat-ineffective, by a sneaky german on the other side of the hedgerow. As a general rule, I tried to encounter germans at short range, because my squads had semi-auto rifles, tommy guns, and plenty a BAR. Get too close, though -- and get your taters mashed.

4 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

"And now children, the moral of this story is... If you go down in the woods today, you'd better go in disguise, otherwise you'll get a Devil's Spud Masher in yer fizzog." 

It’s been years since I heard that rhyme. First caught it watching Too Late The Hero as the patrol leaves base camp. Thank you for that memory. :)

22 minutes ago, DerKommissar said:

This last panel reminds me of the 'nade spam that could render a squad combat-ineffective, by a sneaky german on the other side of the hedgerow. As a general rule, I tried to encounter germans at short range, because my squads had semi-auto rifles, tommy guns, and plenty a BAR. Get too close, though -- and get your taters mashed.

Indeed! As @Bil Hardenberger‘s fantastic tactical Blog states:

• If the enemy team is not fully suppressed DO NOT advance within 30 meters as the maneuver element will be within grenade range and casualties will be taken

2 hours ago, Bud Backer said:

It’s been years since I heard that rhyme. First caught it watching Too Late The Hero as the patrol leaves base camp. Thank you for that memory. :)

My first memory of it goes back almost 70 years to a Saturday morning radio show. I don't remember if it was Big John & Sparky or something else. There were several Saturday morning radio shows that I listened to, but my favorite was Commander Cory and the Spaaaaaaaaaace Patrol!

Michael

Edited by Michael Emrys

It's something I grew up with. Although the tune was written by someone in USAtia in the early 20th C. The lyrics come from Limeyland. Henry Hall's version featured on Aunty Beeb's Light Programme for decades, it also cropped up on Beeb TV shows regularly, e.g. Dr. Who, Dad's Army, The Singing Dectective, and in Peter Greenaway's wonderfully weird movie "A Zed and Two Noughts". 

24 minutes ago, Heinrich505 said:

Bud,

A freaking charge - sans bayonets - no less.  I had visions of all sorts of bad things happening.  This just gets better.  B)

Heinrich505

Just wait... it gets... uglier better still! There's a ninth man still left alive! :ph34r:

49 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

It's something I grew up with. Although the tune was written by someone in USAtia in the early 20th C. The lyrics come from Limeyland. Henry Hall's version featured on Aunty Beeb's Light Programme for decades, it also cropped up on Beeb TV shows regularly, e.g. Dr. Who, Dad's Army, The Singing Dectective, and in Peter Greenaway's wonderfully weird movie "A Zed and Two Noughts". 

I'll forever associate it with a half-drunk Scotsman with a sten and salt-sweat stained fatigues. :o

Edited by Bud Backer

All right, so the next chapter in this story is some of the most incredible action I’ve seen happen in the game. There is no reasonable sequence of orders that could produce this; it’s the game at it very best: giving us action that is beyond tactics and orders and commands and probabilities, yet is, despite the odds, plausible. There is a reason we don’t see something like this often, and that is because something like this is what earns people DSC’s or Silver Stars.

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed watching it in replay, even though it was the last thing I needed to happen for my success!

Edited by Bud Backer
Typos, darn it!